• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thanks for the help! My question was answered.

Darksamus51

Smash Rookie
I have played ultimate pretty much since it came out, and I am incredibly confused. This game requires only about a half amount of skill to be “good” at it and that really annoys me. Most (not all) characters have a “powerful move” this move online is spammed constantly, as well as 3 move combos. When my opponent dodges they get like an entire 2 seconds of invinsibility, when I dodge I get like 0.8 seconds. (Maybe I’m rolling too much but so are my enemies) I try my hardest to use characters and not spam and use all of their moves consistently but usually I get “outplayed” by people using the same 3-4 moves over and over and over and over and over and over again then tea bagging me because some how they see that as skill. I literally can’t take it anymore. I love games where if you practice for awhile you can become good but it’s like every time I play I get worse. Here is an example of what I mean: take Lucas for example with his side B attack people online pretty much only use that attack during the whole match and win because of it.....I remember when smash was completely skill based (yeah there were some OP characters here and there) but the majority of the time how well you did was based on how good you were. Maybe it’s because this is the first smash game I’ve faced people outside of friends or family but the amount of bull crap I experience in this game is unbeatable. I do have my doubts about there being technical issues which is always my go to gripe because sometimes in the moment it’s difficult to see what’s really going on, but there have been times where my attack went through somebody and no damage was taken. Am I missing something here? listen I can admit when I’m not a very good player of a game but most of the time it really doesn’t make sense most of the stuff that goes on in Ultimate. No I’m no AMAZING player but I know I’m not bad, I understand I can be predictable at times and I can work on that but please I can’t be the only one who feels this way. Even ZeRo himself has said this game isn’t entirely skill based and has had a lot of the things I mentioned here happen to him. Please anybody...is it just me?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
When my opponent dodges they get like an entire 2 seconds of invinsibility, when I dodge I get like 0.8 seconds.
This is impossible.
I try my hardest to use characters and not spam and use all of their moves consistently
Don't feel obligated to use all your moves. Some of them only have situational use, and some are just total ****. On the other hand, it's good to not forget you have certain moves either. What's important is knowing what moves are good to use in what situation.
usually I get “outplayed” by people using the same 3-4 moves over and over and over and over and over and over again then tea bagging me because some how they see that as skill.
That's awfully presumptuous of you to think that it's not skill when you're the one losing to it.
take Lucas for example with his side B attack people online pretty much only use that attack during the whole match and win because of it
I've beat Nesses and Lucases, with Bowser of all people who is basically a giant magnet for projectiles. Jump and shield are all that's required to get around PK Fire. Also stop being so aggressive. I guarantee you are charging in way too recklessly. Go watch an actual tournament match and pay attention to how cautious the players actually are.
.I remember when smash was completely skill based (yeah there were some OP characters here and there) but the majority of the time how well you did was based on how good you were.
And you think it isn't now?
Maybe it’s because this is the first smash game I’ve faced people outside of friends or family.
It's definitely that. Were your friends and family as "into" Smash as you are? There's a good chance that you were the best of them. Then you went from a big fish in a small pond to a tiny fish in a big pond. Trust me, I know that feeling well. You get used to winning, so being really challenged feels demoralizing.
listen I can admit when I’m not a very good player of a game but most of the time it really doesn’t make sense most of the stuff that goes on in Ultimate. No I’m no AMAZING player but I know I’m not bad, I understand I can be predictable at times and I can work on that but please I can’t be the only one who feels this way.
If you can't make sense of what's happening then you can't really say you're all that good, can you?

You are inexperienced. You are not as good as you thought you were. You have a lot to learn, and a lot of bad habits to break. You are, currently, bad at the game. Accept it, and start improving.

Darksamus51

Smash Rookie
I get a lot of what your saying, I honestly think a lot of my annoyance just comes from not really being able to fully analyze what’s going on in the heat of the match. Never said I was good, but I’m ok. I really am going to try to get better. Just is going to be a long process. Thanks for the help! I will say this though the art of spamming is you don’t have to try you just mash a button or two till it works and the enemy is defeated, I wouldn’t say that’s skillful personally maybe I just see it differently.

P.S. I took your advise and played more cautiously and didn’t worry about using every move and won a bunch of matches, thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom