• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tether thread

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
There aren't a whole lot.

You have basic Zair to grab the ledge and can start combos depending on how close you are to the opponent.
You can Airdodge and then Zair to give you a bit of extra distance before tethering to the ledge or as means to be closer when hitting with it. If you're in hitstun and then Jump > Airdodge >immediate Zair you can get crazy horizontal momentum.
You can only Tether three times without getting back on stage before Tether will fail. If you attempt a Tether at this point you WILL go into freefall.
You can cancel a Tether as soon as it latches onto the stage with Down, at which point you are free to perform any action. It should be noted that you don't have a second jump once you drop. The best application here is to Magnet an opponent carelessly waiting at the ledge to hit them. If your opponent is wise to this trick, simply doing Magnet from further away can give you a bit of a stall to fake them out, and you can then airdodge into another Zair to regrab the ledge. Another useful one is to use PK Thunder as means to stall and THEN go for the ledge.

Last edited:

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Why didn't you mention tether cancelling into airdodge tether a second or third time as a mixup if they get wise to magnet cancelling? It is a worthy option as well, you can airdodge straight through gimps that would have traded/beat out of a magnet cancel or hit you while dangling.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Ah, that's true. I thought I mentioned it but I must've left it out OOPS

If that's the case you're probably getting read/trying the same approach too often

Last edited:
I use magnets and tether-cancels to vary up the amount of time stalling in the air/on the ledge to avoid getting read

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
Can we talk about about options once you are on the ledge already?

1) Wavedash on stage to attack (Is magnet the best option?)
2) Drop down and return with an attack (Air attack/PKF/OU Burst (?))

At a tournament this weekend I was playing Dakpo (Top 5 in Texas) in friendlies and with his characters he was out spacing me upon my get up from ledge and would smash attack or combo me. He said the best way to get back on was to wavedash on stage because of the invincibility frames give you more time to get back inside the stage or actually fight back instead of getting swatted back off stage.

Until your opponent reads your wavelands, would you guys recommend using OU Burst upon wavelanding or jumping from the ledge already as another mix up to get back on stage from the ledge? I don't know how many invincibility frames you get from the ledge, or from the OU burst, but if you can utilize them both to make the time longer, wouldn't that be worth the risk (to potentially waste your charge) if you're at high percent and just fighting for getting center stage? Also I like the horizontal movement you get from using it in the air can help get more instead the stage without slowing you down with an other attack, right?

Top Bottom