• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Terrible For Glory Win/Loss ratio, Please help me get better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopotheMofo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Manasan28
3DS FC
1762-3215-1154
Ok so I have just under 100 games on 1 on 1 For glory and my win Ratio is 40% which in my eyes isnt too bad but to most of you its terrible. Heres the truth though I went to my friends house and he was playing on my 3DS for a while and he got me to 40% without him it would have been at 25%... I need help getting better at this game... I've only tried a few of the characters, I unlocked all of them but havent played as most of them. Been using Little Mac the most.

Dr[?}

Smash Cadet
You just gotta keep playing and learn from the mistakes you make. After time, things becomes instinctive. If what you're doing isn't working then try a new strategy and adjust. Just keep playing man and dont get discouraged. I dont even care about my record. I'm just trying to continue playing and get better.

A good record in smash does you no good.

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Unlock all the chars, then pick ur main, and go **** them!!! Just play, practise and learn.

Keep it up, son!

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Honestly, I hate playing online sometimes, because some people are just stupid good. But I try to keep playing the good players over and over to try to get better. Even then though, that process sucks. But you can't get better if all you do is win.

In other words, screw your W/L ratio.

Shog

Smash Ace
Ignoring the record is the most heatlhy thing you can do. I did it to and turned 12%(!!!!!) to 77% after hours of playing with Samus instead of Charizard.

Also fighting against Computers helps you learning some followup / combos, but not really against good player. If you dislike your current stats, go in the for fun mode and battle the enemy normally, jus to get a feeling for this game. If this make sense.

Edit: Seriously, the W/L ratio is really stupid, don't care about it: A player with 50000 matches and 66% win ratio > a guy with 10 matches and 90% W/L ratio

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Keep playing. That's pretty much it. Just keep playing and make a concerted effort to improve. A friend of mine began playing against his professional-level players when he got the demo and kept getting soundly thrashed. He eventually got so tired of losing that he just decided to keep practicing until he managed to find his favourite characters and take on anybody. Now he can stand with the best of 'em - and if he can do that in the space of a month, you can do it too.

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
Look on For Glory for a scrub and keep farming him for wins. Of course, I wouldn't do something like that. really. i didnt. i wouldnt.

mistro989

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3582-8766-7618
Ok so I have just under 100 games on 1 on 1 For glory and my win Ratio is 40% which in my eyes isnt too bad but to most of you its terrible. Heres the truth though I went to my friends house and he was playing on my 3DS for a while and he got me to 40% without him it would have been at 25%... I need help getting better at this game... I've only tried a few of the characters, I unlocked all of them but havent played as most of them. Been using Little Mac the most.
If you would mind me helping you, id like to add you that way we can practice if you want?
3582-8766-7618

PopotheMofo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Manasan28
3DS FC
1762-3215-1154
Alright thanks guys! I dont know why I got so worked up with Win/Loss Ratio I guess I was being childish :p Ill practice and continue play For Glory until I get better along with cpus and all the other modes that will help me.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I've sucked at For Glory too. I won 2 matches with Lucina, got happy, a match with Rosalina, got really happy, though Lucina is my main, picked up Lucario for the first time since Brawl, loved him, won, and played against a noob for like 10 games. Mac/Greninja WITH LAG (Duck Hunt was the only victim to this and still won) AGAINST ME PICKING RANDOM (got Lucario, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt. The first couple matches I picked Lucina, my friend told me to go Robin, and I went Greninja for the match after.) AND LOST ALL 10 TIMES. I have a nice 100% for my last 10 games.

Opdotcom

Smash Rookie
NNID
Salvashun
3DS FC
0877-2364-1309
I'm ehh at the game.. getting used to the 3ds is my biggest issues. My best record is with Bowser.. but ive tried to stray away and learn more because he just seems op.. I do pull him out when I run into other Bowsers who like to taunt then i pick bowser and 2 stock them with his fwd b for the final stock

Shog

Smash Ace
Alright thanks guys! I dont know why I got so worked up with Win/Loss Ratio I guess I was being childish :p Ill practice and continue play For Glory until I get better along with cpus and all the other modes that will help me.
That is a good idea, I did it too and can stand(except for good Lil'Mac player) a chance in 1vs1.

And ypur concern isn't really childish in my opinion because humans strife for competition, everyone knows that feeling if you don't win etc. Just a heads up: You don't lose anything viable :p

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
How comfortable are you with Lil Mac? If you're feeling lost with him then try some other characters. Since he's a new character you might not really get the feel of him for a while compared to others. I would also focus on what his weaknesses and strengths and play around them. Think more about why you're losing. Maybe you are overly aggressive or maybe you are not thinking about positioning. Figure out what moves are good for punishing rollers and other "spammable" tactics. For example if you are playing against a guy who constantly rolls behind you, try to predict it and figure out what move you can use to counter it, instead of rolling with them or just standing there.

Last edited:

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
My win/loss ratio is bad mostly from losing a lot of laggy matches when I first got the game, and also because I wasn't too familiar with my characters yet. But as others have posted, screw the win/loss ratio. I just kept playing for hours and hours and through the process I've gotten steadily better with my characters and have been getting more wins than losses. Occasionally I'll come across a godlike player and get rekt, but it's a learning experience, and I'll keep playing them until I can keep up with them and make the match more even between us. I come from a long line of fighting games, so I learn quickly.

TLDR; Screw the ratio, play to learn, not to win. Ratios don't matter when it comes to tournament play anyways.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
The win/loss ratio doesn't matter because lag is a thing, which has 100% nothing to do with skill but can affect both players depending on how used they are to that lag. Just play for glory in the mindset that you're playing in a competitive format and use it to learn how other characters work and what their moves do and such.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
40% is better than me, but then again i dont like sticking to one character for too long. I have more megaman games than anybody else but i dont even play him more than 3-4 times in a row.
Im used to Brawl where i actually just played Random, since the only hero i couldnt play with was Olimar.

Also as @ Dooms Dooms said, lag is a thing. i can honestly say i have only had like 5 games where i had no lag. and i have a ton already (counting friend battles too here, which isnt recorded)

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
You could always play against soneone on these boards to have legitimate practice without recording the win/loss. They may be willing to help you improve as well. Lots of kind people here in the smash community

g00dapollo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Barayas
3DS FC
0061-0892-6923
You could find people to practice with. Always a good option, sparring buddies are great. Other than that, practice in general is always good I feel. Try to analyse your weak spots, and fill those gaps. I'm not anything amazing myself, so if you'd like to practice feel free to add me.

D

Deleted member 269706

Just keep going at it til you you have a unique style...Try other characters too, not just one.

neetaholic

Smash Rookie
There's really only one thing that separates an average player and a great player, be that in any fighting game or even in any fight IRL, and that's muscle memory. You might know about all about the matchups, what to do in every situation you're in; if you think about all that, you'll only ever be average at best. It's when all that knowledge starts being acted on subconsciously that you'll be great.

Humans evolved to use reason and logic, not instinct. That's all well and good, really, except when it comes to fighting. If, for example, someone whiffs a counter and you think "okay, he whiffed a counter, just gonna smash him when the counter frames are over and he's vulnerable", you won't get it. By the time it takes your brain to analyse the situation, deduce the correct response then send electrical impulses to your hands to press the buttons for the smash, the opportunity's going to be over before you can even react in most cases. However, if you don't think about it and just do it because you've done that a thousand times already, you'll be fast enough to get it. This frees up juice to think about the larger picture, read the opponent and come up with an overarching strategy because your brain isn't preoccupied with the minute commands, this is done on an instinctual level.

All the computations that accompany logic must be done beforehand and this must be accessed subconsciously in games (or fights) if you want any real success. One day you know how to do, will access that in your brain and try to do it, which takes some time, and another, it'll just become instinctual for you to do, and the impulses will just instantly shoot out to your hands.

I used to be pretty bad at Judo because I used to use my brain consciously to analyze balance, distance, position, etc. By the time I saw an opportunity and reacted to it, it was too late, I'd get countered or dodged and I'd get frustrated. On defense, it was even worse, because my brain panicked and took a long while to get what throw I was being attacked with and what to do to counter or dodge it. One day, I did the best throw I had ever done until then, randomly, just like that. We were both on our feet one moment, the next he's flat on his back with me in a scarf hold. I don't remember thinking about the throw, it was one I never consciously used, it really just shot out. Ever since my brain "unlocked" and I started relying on subconscious analysis of my sensory perception instead of using up juice from the main processor, I have had success in Judo and suddenly it became much funner to practice. I knew throws, counters, ways to unbalance, combinations, etc, but I didn't have to analyze which to use when anymore, I just trusted my senses implicitly and did what they told me I should do. Unfortunately, I haven't had that happen with Smash yet. Anyway, my point is that you'll suck hard and long, but one day you'll just feel something "unlock" in your head, as if you were in "the zone" and then you'll thrash people left and right, just like that. Congratulations, you now have great muscle memory.

This is why often top-level players can't tell you what they're doing and how. They're not thinking about it, their processes are not in the same place as yours. There's only one thing you can do to acquire that, and it's practice. Someday it'll unlock.

Last edited:

JonJon

Smash Cadet
NNID
jonjon_phelps
Look for noobs and fight them as much as possible and don't fight people you know you can't win against.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
You're never going to be in a situation where you're out with a beautiful girl, you take her home, she's about to unclasp her bra, and then she says, "Wait... your win-loss ratio is only 40%"?

So, I get that as people we like to win, but like many have said it's a pointless statistic. The top ranked people in online fighting games are usually not the best, but simply the ones who rack up points with certain strategies. But if you really want to improve your rank...

1. Practice a lot offline or with friends in unranked matches. If your for glory score is important, don't risk it while practicing new characters.

2. Always use your main. Goes with #1 but there really isn't going to be a situation where you need to use anyone else. What if you get beaten and want to counterpick you say? Well..

3. If you lose, leave. Everytime. If someone is better than you, or even nearly as good as you, don't play them. You don't get more points for beating a better points or anything, so no need to play better people.

4. If someone sucks, replay them as much as you can.

So, that's the way to get a good w/l going. Dunno how fun it will be or how much better you'll get, but there you have it.

Last edited:

Ian095

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eponian
3DS FC
0473-7759-5302
Look on For Glory for a scrub and keep farming him for wins. Of course, I wouldn't do something like that. really. i didnt. i wouldnt.
Some people may despise people who do this, I'm not going to lie I find it more enjoyable when I seem better than the other person and if I'm against someone and see no chance of getting a win if I stay I tend to leave after the fight is over and rejoin to be matched up with someone I have a better chance with, I mean if you know you can't win why make your record worse by trying? My advice is find a character you do best with then master them and just use primarily them, learn to block and roll. Characters like Shulk/Marth ect who's Down + B moves dodge and hit are also pretty good when you need that last hit to finish them off but just cant seem to get a good enough hit. I wouldn't waste your time trying to fight those who are way better than you as of course what DatSmasher has said is what they're doing. It's what most people likely do, nobody is going to deny themselves easy wins. People may try to play the person a few times and learn off them to get better, even in some cases play as the same character though honestly just stick to who you're good with when you find that out and you will greatly increase your ratio or W/L's

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
Some people may despise people who do this, I'm not going to lie I find it more enjoyable when I seem better than the other person and if I'm against someone and see no chance of getting a win if I stay I tend to leave after the fight is over and rejoin to be matched up with someone I have a better chance with, I mean if you know you can't win why make your record worse by trying? My advice is find a character you do best with then master them and just use primarily them, learn to block and roll. Characters like Shulk/Marth ect who's Down + B moves dodge and hit are also pretty good when you need that last hit to finish them off but just cant seem to get a good enough hit. I wouldn't waste your time trying to fight those who are way better than you as of course what DatSmasher has said is what they're doing. It's what most people likely do, nobody is going to deny themselves easy wins. People may try to play the person a few times and learn off them to get better, even in some cases play as the same character though honestly just stick to who you're good with when you find that out and you will greatly increase your ratio or W/L's
Yeah, after playing for a long time and I can't get any wins, I just keep leaving for someone i can beat lol. If it's a real beginner though, it does get boring after a while.
The problem is, I sometimes want to play better players to actually improve. But it's not so fun to improve when it drops my ratio by 10%. That's where it would be nice to have unranked 1v1 items off FD only, just to try new things and not to worry about rating.

Django_77

Smash Rookie
You could find people to practice with. Always a good option, sparring buddies are great. Other than that, practice in general is always good I feel. Try to analyse your weak spots, and fill those gaps. I'm not anything amazing myself, so if you'd like to practice feel free to add me.
What is ur friend code

GeneticConsole

Smash Rookie
NNID
galaxygazer08
3DS FC
5241-2420-5912
Switch FC
SW 5887 1776 0912
Ignoring the record is the most heatlhy thing you can do. I did it to and turned 12%(!!!!!) to 77% after hours of playing with Samus instead of Charizard.

Also fighting against Computers helps you learning some followup / combos, but not really against good player. If you dislike your current stats, go in the for fun mode and battle the enemy normally, jus to get a feeling for this game. If this make sense.

Edit: Seriously, the W/L ratio is really stupid, don't care about it: A player with 50000 matches and 66% win ratio > a guy with 10 matches and 90% W/L ratio
The problem with for fun is that it doesn't have 1v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom