• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell Me Your Favorite Link Tech

Kuya the Red

Smash Cadet
Link is a character in PM that requires a lot of tech skill to master and there are a lot of things you can do with link that are pretty cool. The point of this thread is to tell me your favorite link tech and maybe one or two people maight just learn something new. I'll List a few of them below, but not all of them. The order of the list is not taken under consideration.

1) Bomb Jumb: AGT a bomb upward and Up B into it. All link mains must know this.
2) Bomb Plant: While bomb in hand, SH and press Z just as link falls.
3) ZAIR: Just using the claw shot to pressure opponents from afar. tipper it and they get popped up.
4) Perfect Moonwalk: Hold Attack and move the left stick forward and then half circle down. the left stick should be kept in the down angle for the duration of the Moonwalk. Then you periodically move the C-stick forwards. Timing with the C-Stick is important.
5) Bomb Punt: while bomb in hand; SH, drop bomb and move link back just a tad then Zair the bomb. If done correctly, link will hit the bomb and it will lob forwards.
6) Bomb Return: While bomb in hand Side B. throw the bomb at the boomerang as it returns to you. The bomb should bounce off it and fall behind you.
7) Spin Ledge Cancel: This one is my favorite to do. It's practically worthless in actual matches, but it's very flashy looking. The concept is to cancel Link's Up B and grab the ledge (or fall off it if the ledge isn't possible to grab). First have Link's back toward the edge and close to it. You then moonwalk so that Link grabs the ledge, but Up B JUST before he falls. It's very hard to time, but it looks amazing. What it should look like is Link performing his Up B, but without any upward momentum. He just falls or grabs ledge.

EDIT: Praise Triforce We have new tech!:
ok it's not new, but i just recently found out how to do it and its flashy so ill add it in.

8) Hylian Bomb: The concept of throwing the bomb downwards, catching it, repeat if necessary, catch it then throw it upwards, Profit. Ok well it's hard to explain it with words only, but here's how to do it:
While bomb in hand and in air, AGT the bomb downward then almost immediately after it you can do three things: 1) AGT the bomb downward again (repeatable) 2) AGT the bomb sideways (the chain ends) 3) AGT the bomb upwards (the chain ends). The functionality of this tech is to maintain aerial mobility and juke the opponent, but most people do it for the flash factor. (so do I)

These are just a few things Link can do, but I just listed my favorites. Comment and tell me what your favorite Link tech is.

Last edited:

Kuya the Red

Smash Cadet
DACUS. It makes you feel so much faster on the ground plus the badass Upsmash that comes along with it.
Yes DACUS is a very useful skill for link mains, but i was referring more to tech that specifically only Link can perform.
Which is your favorite?

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
Love bomb punting. Not incredibly useful, but it's super fun to do. Second favorite is probably bomb returns when an opponent is ledge stalling. No one really expects it.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Bomb Punting is one I use often to cool camping effect in tandem with the boomerang and arrows because the timing of the bomb in the air allows me to get at least a hit on the opponent on flat ground. Allows me to get in safely with a follow-up QDA and start wrecking. One tech you did not mention was Bomb Smashing, which is really great coming out of a dodge as it plays some mind games.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
I'm bad at it, but pretty much all his bomb tech is pimp sh**. His zair I feel is very underrated in PM. It's still a great spacing tool.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I'm bad at it, but pretty much all his bomb tech is pimp sh**. His zair I feel is very underrated in PM. It's still a great spacing tool.
Using the Zair with a bomb in-hand is a really good mindgame you can play with.

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
True. The zair fakeout to upb is a fun recovery move. Once they nerf tethers I think pretty much all Links will be doing that.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Falling up b, moonwalking, bomb punting, and agt (Link is more well known to use agt) are my favorite Link techs. Mainly due to flashyness. I can't really choose one lol.

D

Deleted member

AGT and tether regrabs, very flashy looking techs imo. They both make Link look like he has really janky physics.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I don't even play Link but when I do I just futz around with dumb bomb tricks the whole match. My favorite one so far has been Boomerang > Bomb Plant > Bomb Return > Bomb Punt (catches the returned bomb and punts the grounded one) > AGT Backwards.

Try it, if not just as a styling hand warmer.

Super_Primid

Smash Apprentice
My favorite one is the falling up b but instead of mood walking all u have to do is dash at the ledge then jump cancel up b. (u have to jump cancel to make it easier). Or dash at the ledge then turn around and Asap do a jump cancel up b. ( not jump canceling this will mess u up bad)

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I really like the Hylian bomb (if that's what it's called) where you have a bomb AGT and throw down, catch the bomb, AGT and throw up, tether, then jump backwards and instant throw the falling bomb to your unsuspecting opponent. It seems super unnecessary, but it can come in handy to wait out invincibility and mix up your recovery from above.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
did you coin the term "Hylian Bomb"? cause that was the one tech i wasn't able to do until just yesterday and its satisfying as f*ck
I didn't coin the term, someone else named it after me because I came up with it and use it in all my matches.

Kuya the Red

Smash Cadet
what i see links do all the time sadly is use tech just to show that they have tech but then they dont apply it to the fight in a practical way and then they lose. i need to see links SHFFL nair like a fox more often now

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
what i see links do all the time sadly is use tech just to show that they have tech but then they dont apply it to the fight in a practical way and then they lose. i need to see links SHFFL nair like a fox more often now
Honestly sometimes I just show tech inbetween stocks because of its influence in the mental battle. Not only are you gaining momentum from your kill, but by practicing tech it helps keep you in the flow. It's also an intimidation factor to your opponent.

Nair is a great move on Link but it's not as good as Fox's simply because Link lacks a shine. Thus Link's nair requires perfect spacing and reads on your opponent's movement. A good opponent can shield your nair, WD OoS, and punish. Nonetheless, it's still my favorite edgegaurd move next to arrows.

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Probably the Hylian bomb
We don't call it that though
We label it as pointless bomb tricks:
They're fun but probably will get you killed while styling, as link likes to do obviously

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
Bomb returns (didn't realize they had a name...) and AGT would have to be my favorites. <3

Big Chewy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chewy
3DS FC
0301-9994-4029
Definitely Dacus. F-air in to a Dacus followed by and up air or u-tilt feels oh so satisfying :). Loved the uploads on your channel btw Empty :D

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Many thanks.

DACUS, Spin cancel, Bair waveland, Wave bounce, Side B, Boomerang, etc.

GarmWyrda

Smash Cadet
I've seen a Link ( I think it fingerstripes) doing something cool and usefull, and I'm not sure what he does. I think he AGT down (bomb and himself) then Dair the bomb to blow himself up, and get send towards the stage. It's really cool, and seems to be more reliable than a classic bomb jump (upB stale = you're dead)

I'll try to find a video where he does that...
I don't know if that's a well-known tech, and if it already has a name, but that seems pretty good !

FingerStripes

Smash Rookie
I've seen a Link ( I think it fingerstripes) doing something cool and usefull, and I'm not sure what he does. I think he AGT down (bomb and himself) then Dair the bomb to blow himself up, and get send towards the stage. It's really cool, and seems to be more reliable than a classic bomb jump (upB stale = you're dead)

I'll try to find a video where he does that...
I don't know if that's a well-known tech, and if it already has a name, but that seems pretty good !

Here you go! http://youtu.be/R3tVkf-mxFY

Top Bottom