• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teh Booz Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
I'v played in a few tourneys and done well and it seems people aren't used to playing a OK or good Bowser. I'll discuse the match afterwards and its like "I've never played a good Bowser before, I didnt know what to do."
Are people being johns or what?:confused:

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I meant I did OK by no means did I own anyone, If I won It was barely like 1 stock. The tourneys were the July 30 NCB and another small local San Jose tourney(26 people).

Take into cosideration that it was in the losers bracket so I didnt play top people. We had NorCal so like FullMetalF., Zhu, BTZO but they 3 or 2 stocked me.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
No kidding! I recently lost to a Bowser in tourney at Memphis (can't remember the name of the tourney, but it was huge). I've beaten a lot of really good players, but some guy named Reflex goes Bowser on me! lol.

When someone jumps I sheild, wait for them to hit my sheild, and screw attack out of my sheild!

Bowser jumps... I sheild... Bowser grabs me out of an ariel!!... I die.

Bowser is broken. Why can't Samus do that? :(

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Losing to Bowser can be a bit embarrassing, so yes, people will say that they aren't used to good Bowsers to john. Thing is, it's almost legit. I play Zelda, and when I beat someone at a smashfest with her, they remarked it was strange that I played her, no one does, and that they had no idea how to act. It's true that fewer people try to excel with the lower tier characters and consequently one of the best thing we low tier players have going for us is that few players are very experienced against these characters. It's sorta degrading to know that one aspect aiding in low and bottom tier success is lack of experience, but that's the way it is.
I recall one incident, before I devoted my training to Zelda only, when I used to switch between Zelda and Sheik in matches. I was playing a CF and performing well enough, though still getting beat. Halfway through my stocks, I switched to Sheik and I felt the player instantly felt more comfortable with a foe he was experience against. I didn't get a stock off of him with those last two stocks.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
No I dont consider myself good, ok maybe.@Zozeup: Yeah I saw a video for Reflex he's pretty good. @KevinM: My friends suck. They dont wavedash or anything. Im trying to get them to play more but they prefer Halo>Smash.

@HideousBeing:Can you use the Zelda/Shiek transform to switch up play styles in a match? I've seen it but not in pro videos.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it was good I was kinda hopeing for combos that involved transform in the middle but whatever. It was a good video though.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
yeah thats what I was thinkin'.U could transform but it would be too slow to combo with,aww it would be cool though.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Zozefup, Reflex kinda ***** people with Bowser BTW. It really is true, people don't know what to do against a good practiced Bowser player, or any rare bottom-tiers for that matter. I know I felt that way when I went up against a skilled Zelda player back when I was a noob. I didn't know what to do.

I use G&W at tourneys and I always hear my opponents (if they've never played me) say they don't know what to do against a good G&W.

There's just so few skilled Bowsers that they're rare...okay that was redundant but you know what I mean XD

It's johns, but it's also fact. They've truly never played a skilled Bowser before you played them. They really don't know what to do. I say to them, No Johns! :grin:

@HideousBeing:Can you use the Zelda/Shiek transform to switch up play styles in a match? I've seen it but not in pro videos.
I have two matches of Captain Jack (Sheik/Zelda) vs Kei (IC) where Captain Jack uses Zelda when both climbers are alive, then changes to Sheik after Nana dies. Very sweet. I can put them on Youtube for ya. :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No kidding! I recently lost to a Bowser in tourney at Memphis (can't remember the name of the tourney, but it was huge). I've beaten a lot of really good players, but some guy named Reflex goes Bowser on me! lol.
INNsomnia V, it was. I'm an odd kid.

Zozefup, Reflex kinda ***** people with Bowser BTW.

They've truly never played a skilled Bowser before you played them. They really don't know what to do. I say to them, No Johns! :grin:
Quoted for truth, and thanks for the compliment.

Either way, this thread's point holds true for practically any low tier character. When people don't practice outside of the box, they tend to only gain knowledge for the popular characters, and as such, they don't understand how low tiers work on the competitive level. If you play a low tier competitively, that alone can be a major factor in defeating some people.

On the other half of the spectrum, if they do know what to expect, that advantage is gone. Hopefully you can still pull a win out with the things you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom