• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technology, Sports and Advantages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/aug/24/oscar-pistorius-able-disabled

People call Oscar Pistorius all kinds of things: disabled, differently abled, an inspiration, an egotist, even a cheat. One label they never give him is the one he wants most of all: a runner, just like any other. At the World Athletics Championships in Daegu, Pistorius will take his place on the blocks for the heats of the 400m. There will be 45 men in the field, some tall, some short, some squat, some slender, some from the first world, some from the third. And yet Pistorius is the one who will be singled out as "different", physically and athletically.

Whatever transpires when he takes to the track Pistorius must hope that this event scotches some of the myths that surround him. He is sick of restating his case, particularly since the night of 19 July when he ran 45.07sec over 400m, making him the 18th fastest man over one lap of track this year. It gave him the "A" qualifying standard for the world championships and meant that, all of a sudden, some people saw him not as "disabled" but "too-abled" because of the blades he wears.

As Roger Black has said: "The faster he runs, the more people are going to say that he has an advantage and we are not on a level playing field." It is worth stepping back and reconsidering the role technology plays in enabling athletes. Since Mo Farah began training with Alberto Salazar at the start of this year, he has had access to, among other things, an anti-gravity treadmill, an underwater treadmill and a cryosauna. Farah is in the best form of his life. Try telling Farah's rivals from, for instance, Eritrea and Uganda, that they are on "a level playing field" when they toe the start-line.

Pistorius is not the first athlete to face these issues. Aimee Mullins, a double-amputee below the knee, was competing as a sprinter at national college level in the USA as long ago as 1995. She wore an early version of the Cheetah flex-foot which Pistorius uses today. In 2012 she will be the chef de mission for the US Paralympic team. She believes the criticism of Pistorius stems from a deeply ingrained prejudice: "If we allow a person, one who we view as our inferior, in whatever way, to play with us, and then that person beats us, what does that say about us?"

The British 400m runner Martyn Rooney has a simpler way of expressing a similar view: "It is the people who are worried about being beaten by him who are the ones who complain. If they're not running quick enough they're worried. If you're running quick enough you shouldn't have to worry."

There are two major misconceptions about Pistorius that need to be corrected. First, the Cheetah flex-foot blades he is running on have not changed in seven years. The 0.54sec improvement he recorded in his personal best in Rome this July owed everything to the changes he made above the knee, and nothing to changes below it, because there were none. Since he was involved in a serious boating accident in 2009, Pistorius has lived, trained and prepared like an elite athlete.

The second misconception is the idea that it is now open-season for the use of prosthetic technology in "able-bodied" athletics. The court of arbitration for sport ruling that overturned the International Association of Athletics Federations' original ban on Pistorius in 2007 was specific on this point: "This ruling does not grant a blanket licence … [it] has no application to the eligibility of any other amputee athletes, or to any other model of prosthetic limb; and it is the IAAF's responsibility to review the circumstances on a case-by-case basis." According to the ruling Pistorius would not even be able to use "any further development" of the Cheetah without undergoing more testing by the IAAF.

Those tests would have to examine whether future prosthetics contravened the same rule that the IAAF originally decided prevented Pistorius from competing. It was introduced at the exact time when Pistorius was first being invited to run in meetings against non-amputee athletes, and forbids the "use of any technical device that incorporates springs, wheels, or any other element that provides the user with an advantage over another athlete not using such a device". As Pistorius's lawyers showed, unravelling the implications of this rule is not easy. CAS described it as "a masterpiece of ambiguity". What constitutes a "technical device"? Isn't every non-brittle object a form of spring in the sense that it has elasticity? And, most crucially of all, what is the specific meaning of "advantage"?

In 2008, CAS decided that the IAAF had prejudged Pistorius's case, and was actively looking for evidence that he should be banned from IAAF-sanctioned events. In the words of one IAAF mandarin at the time, "we are looking for advantages, not disadvantages".

So the IAAF commissioned scientific tests on Pistorius's performance when he was running in a straight line and after he had reached full acceleration. It was already known that, unlike the majority of 400m runners, Pistorius is slower over the first 200m and gets faster over the second 200m. He has a strong finish. But does that constitute a net advantage over the entire race? The obvious flip side is that Pistorius is slower than many competitors getting out of the blocks and accelerating around the first bend. As Rooney says: "The pros and cons weigh each other out. There are things that Oscar can do that I could never do, and things I can do that he could never do. Some people say he doesn't get cramp in his calf or his achilles but there is so much extra strain on the upper part of his leg that I think it balances out."

Pistorius certainly uses less vertical force than most runners. His stride is flatter and his hip-swing is faster. This is not necessarily an advantage. Many runners work on increasing their vertical force to improve their overall speed. And while it is fast, Pistorius's stride frequency is not out of the realms of that of other competitors. But this debate has still not been settled. Two of the scientists who worked on Pistorius's case, Peter Weyand and Matthew Bundle, have since decided that the relative lightness of the Cheetahs is what gives him a faster hip-swing, and calculated that it amounts to a 12-second improvement in his time over 400m. By that logic if Pistorius's closest contenders were on Cheetah blades they would be running 400m in 32 seconds. The world record stands at 43.18sec.

But that has not stopped them making headlines, not least when the South African sports scientist Dr Ross Tucker called the CAS ruling "a farce". Tucker is wrong when he suggests Pistorius's team could tinker with the technology, but he may be right to question whether Pistorius's blades affect his oxygen consumption, which has been calculated as 17% lower than is typical for a 400m runner. Measuring oxygen consumption is the one key way of assessing how much energy an athlete has to use during a race. If there is one clear advantage to the blades, it may lie here. Yet this is a debate that is taking place on the fringes of our knowledge and understanding, and the burden of proof lies with the IAAF. It has been unable to satisfy the CAS that Pistorius does have a metabolic advantage so significant that it outweighs all other considerations.

It may be more surprising to find criticism of Pistorius from within the Paralympic community. Dame Tanni-Grey Thompson has argued that: "If Oscar makes the Olympics then his event, the 400m, shouldn't be run at the Paralympics because the Paralympics should never be a 'B' final." By running here, Grey-Thompson says, Pistorius risks undermining the equality that the Paralympic movement has worked to gain.

But others, Mullins among them, would argue that the world championships will mark the point when the barriers that exist in the public imagination between what it means to be "able" and "disabled", Olympian and Paralympian, begin to be broken down for good. Pistorius, a natural-born athlete, also happens to be at the vanguard of evolution of amputee athletics. In the nine years between 2001 and 2010, 967 American servicemen and women lost at least one limb in the line of duty. Research into prosthetic limb technology has never been so well-resourced, or so advanced. Within his lifetime prosthetic limbs will improve until they surpass the athletic performance of their natural equivalents, then the "disabled" may be faster than the "abled". For the IAAF and the athletics community that, as the CAS has said, is "one of the challenges of 21st century life".
Article a bit long? Basically, it's about Oscar Pistorius, a disabled Paralympics athlete who applied for the Olympics and has (by now) reached all qualifications needed to join. The question is wether or not a disabled person, aided by technology, should be allowed to compete with the able-bodied.

In this case, it might not be a clear advantage because the cons roughly outweigh the pros, but I can see this happening less and less in the future, as technology advances. Where do you draw the line between naturally gifted and well-trained and an unfair advantage?
Then there's genetic engineering, later on in the future. No doubt will they be able to also improve someone's athletic skill early on. Would this be considered cheating? How should the world of sports cope with this ever evolving technology which will soon surpass the human body.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
A lot of the people who tried to defend Pistorius were entirely missing the point. It isn't that people are insecure and don't want to lose to a cripple, it's that we are unsure if people who have such "legs" are actually benefited in these running competitions. That is something that would take a lot of experiments and tests.

I do definitely think he is an inspiration, and I have nothing against him obviously, that'd be stupid, but I do agree that the playing field should have no unnatural advantages. The point of these things is to show and test human capabilities, not humans with something prosthetic.

Smash Master
I'm inclined to draw the line at "natural" and safe. If a human can grow the tools needed to win within his own body, that's okay. Like if a runner was born with blade feet, I'd feel okay allowing him to compete, even if it gave him an advantage over more normal feet. However, I wouldn't be okay with taking steroids because then everyone would need to take steroids in order to compete, and steroids cause negative consequences to the person taking them. Sleeping in a low-oxygen chamber is fine because there are no negative consequences to that athlete's body, so it would be okay for everyone to have to do it to make it to the next level.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
But what of the situation of parents genetically manipulating their children to be more athletic and gain an advantage. Would you still count this as natural? Wouldn't that ruin the whole idea of the competative environment, that you require a certain something your parents would have given you to compete?

Smash Master
That seems fine. Pretty much how it is now. Sets of genes compete against each other. Watching the limit of human performance is fascinating. Anything else? Well, Robot Wars was a thing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It gets very arbitrary when you start allowing performance enhancing agents to accommodate for a lack of something (in this case artificial legs for natural legs). The question is how different is this to using illegal performance enhancing drugs to accommodate for a natural lack of speed.

Okuser

Smash Ace
It gets very arbitrary when you start allowing performance enhancing agents to accommodate for a lack of something (in this case artificial legs for natural legs). The question is how different is this to using illegal performance enhancing drugs to accommodate for a natural lack of speed.
Quite different, I'd venture to say. Performance enhancing drugs (steroids) are merely a supplement to already existing human fiber and aid in the growth of new muscle tissue. The "cheetah blades" that this man use create momentum and energy independently from his body. That is to say, the blades do work for him, while the drugs only unlock potential energy in his body. I'm not trying to justify the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs, though.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But that distinction seems completely arbitrary. All you've shown is that they enhance performance in different ways.

:phone:

Okuser

Smash Ace
Well that was my goal, since his question was the difference between the two.

Although if you're asking what the implications of these differences are I couldn't say, because I don't have the means to analyze the value of the enhancements, or how much each improves performance individually.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Well that was my goal, since his question was the difference between the two.

Although if you're asking what the implications of these differences are I couldn't say, because I don't have the means to analyze the value of the enhancements, or how much each improves performance individually.
he asked how the enhancement of one via supplements is different form the enhancement via prosthetics, which in effect there is none.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The thing here is that he's using technology that helps his body compete in the Olympics, which can give him an unfair advantage, seeing as he doesn't have to use as much energy to actually perform than a normal human being. Any modifications to an already existing human body, by definition, is manipulation of a person's potential. As for parents genetically altering an unborn fetus's genetic makeup to make them perform better, that's a bit different, since once the baby is born, their body's stamina, strength, etc., will be set in their genetic code, and will thus be "natural" and wouldn't need any drugs or machines to be as good as they are. Is it unfair? Only to those who lack the money to afford such a thing, but they're still born with said abilities nonetheless.

A handicapped person can beat out able-bodied individuals if the technology is strong enough, and even if the tech isn't quite as great as to give him/her an unfair advantage, the fact of the matter is, they are using something to modify their body and potential. I know I'm kicking a dead horse here, so I'll end my point with this: It will only be truly okay if he/she was competing against others who are using the same technology as he/she is using. Whether those others have to be able-bodied people or other fellow handicaps remain up in the air until they run some tests for able-bodied vs. handicaps.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Some olympics use steriods and there waters but steriods is just bad too start with. Technology advances through the decades very body has a limit and don't over do it in exercise. But working out is natural and kinds fun as we speak.

Smash Master
he asked how the enhancement of one via supplements is different form the enhancement via prosthetics, which in effect there is none.
Prosthetics screw over other areas of your life, so it's not cool to force athletes to have them to be competitive. There's no natural way to get a flex foot grafted to your skin. There is a natural way to get more protein without a protein supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom