• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technically oot ganondorf never uses a sword as a human.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I feel like I’ll want to forward smash anyone who uses that as a serious gripe/nitpick with his now awesome portrayal.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I mean the only correct part about this statement/stance, is that Ganondorf never used that particular sword in any game. It comes from the 2000 space world trailer that was supossed to be the teaser for the next Zelda game following Majora's mask.

So this sword isn't canon, if that's the route you wanted to go with, but me and a lot of people couldn't honestly give less of a **** about that fact.
I wasn't introduced to :ultganondorf: through Oot like most people but melee, and whenever his victory animation came up, where he shook his sword, as though he was trying to get blood off it and then stuck it in the ground, I was like : " Damn , I wanna see him use that sword so bad!" And now after 17 years, I was admittedly giddy, upon seeing him swing that armorslayer ( it's probably the closest we'll ever get to an axe-user) and absolutely annihalting the opposition.

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
That tech demo sucks, it ruined ganondorf in smash, and ruined the hype for windwaker

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
That tech demo sucks, it ruined ganondorf in smash, and ruined the hype for windwaker
While I can understand the frustration with Ganon not being "truly" represented after such a long time and so many different sources to draw from, due to being introduced to Ganon through Melee and 10 year old me having one hell of a time trying to unlock him in that one event match, he made quite a strong impression on me.( will be intresting to see whether the process of unlocking chars will ever be that exciting again) After finally getting him, I had what was in my mind a stronger and thus better version of captain falcon, a character who,besides appearing like a cheesy drawing of a preschooler idea of a superhero, one annoying friend liked to play next to Fox, who coupled with his tendency to rely on items and keep playing mostly hit and run strategies that sucked the fun right out of the game for me, when I tried to catch and punish him with weaker chars such as Kirby, Pickachu and Sheik and not really getting anywhere, just got on my nerves with his attitude and tendency to spam falcon's and fox's taunt! So when I trained with Ganon and adapted my playstyle to his shenanigans and proceeded to school and disrespect him, my main was solidified for the rest of time.

Ofc that's no excuse for keeping him a Falcon clone for so long, trust me, after I got into Zelda proper through Wind waker funnily enough( my first Zelda was Majoras Mask but due to it's high difficulty for entry players I dropped and replayed it only when the 3ds remake came about) I got to witness what is to this day my favourite version of the triforce- trifecta. So when Brawl came along I was hoping for super fast and agile double sword style ganon, but no.

So I do understand your anger, but you also need to consider the other side of the coin. In an ideal world we would have falcondorf, HyruleWarriors/Windwaker ganon with two swords and Phantom/Yuga-gannon with the trident.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
That tech demo did neither of those things. All it did was supply Sakurai with Ganondorf's model and his sword model from the demo. And it may have ruined your hype for Wind Waker, but Wind Waker was received poorly from the get-go anyway. Nowadays that game is highly-beloved by many among the fans of the series.

Did the N64 Zelda tech demo ruin Ocarina of Time?

Did the Wii U Zelda tech demo ruin Breath of the Wild?

Tech demos can't ruin anything. They're demos i.e. demonstrations. They're concepts, unrealized ideas to show the potential the system has.

Besides, the style of the gamecube tech demo was reused for Twilight Princess because fans wouldn't shut up about it after Wind Waker. The Zelda devs even admitted this.

In regards to OoT Ganondorf not using a sword: do you have proof that there was not a single point in his life where he ever uses a sword? This man is the Gerudo King. You know, the Gerudo?

The Gerudo were a race of thieves whom notably specialized in swords (and in OoT, they were dual-wielded), though the guards patrolled with spears. Do you truly believe Ganondorf would not have learned the art of swordsmanship while being raised by them? He knew how to use a sword in Ocarina, he just chose not to as he believed his magic was mightier than anything else the world had to offer him. This was heavily due to his upbringing by Twinrova, whom both had a large bias towards the dark arts. (He probably learned how to play the organ after getting the Triforce of Power, though. Last I checked, Gerudo Valley conveniently lacked a pipe organ.)

Anyway, after getting wrecked by his own magic, Ganondorf reverted to using swords, but also bolstered his power with his piece of the Triforce and made his power level reach MAXIMUM. Thus becoming the hulking Ganon.

That didn't work either. His slow, and lumbering size left him open to pot shots to the face by light arrows, and exposed his tail to the far more nimble Link.

Of course, after eating this nice, big slice of humble pie, Ganondorf threw out his surrogate mothers' teachings and stuck to using his swordsmanship in Wind Waker but decided to retain his human form while doing so. He most likely believed this method of combat would take out the risk of being hit by his own attacks (due to his magic being rendered unreliable by the Master Sword), being too large to avoid the light arrows (which is a tool he believed the "reincarnation" of the Hero of Time would certainly possess), or just being unable to keep up with his opponent (as he remembered Link was pretty fast.)

This strategy worked pretty well, overall. It brought Ganondorf the closest to absolute success in any of the three games he was in. He used magic and monsters to decimate the world at large, but quickly drew his blades when he had to get his hands dirty with up-close-and-personal confrontations.

Even to the point of Breath of the Wild, the furthest of any timeline (regardless of its placement, it was well over 10,100+ years since the most recent encounter with Ganon—which is an undocumented fight, game-wise), the Gerudo appeared and still led their primary weapons: Swords and spears.

The lore of the series dictates that OoT Ganondorf would in fact know how to use a sword.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
To add to NintendoKnight's comments, people would've been disappointed with the reveal/style of Wind Waker regardless. The tech demo didn't help, but even if it didn't exist, the expectation was still that the next Zelda game would be a more advanced iteration of the OoT/MM style, rather than the cartoon style of Wind Waker.

Also, Ganon not using a sword in OoT is one of those things that I think they would've wanted to do, but either had technical limitations or didn't have the know-how to implement the way they wanted, and ended up implementing them later in Twilight Princess. E.g., Epona sword combat, swimming, and a Ganondorf sword battle. So while Ganondorf didn't use a sword originally in OoT, he has in all his later appearances, so I speculate they probably would've wanted him to use it in OoT, but couldn't for one reason or another.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wish they either gave him magic and his OoT design
or his sword and his TP design.

Either way, Project Ganondorf's never going to happen so what's even the point.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually would have prefered if he used a trident like his old self and like Phantom Ganon

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I actually would have prefered if he used a trident like his old self and like Phantom Ganon
Aw that would've been sick. I wish they referenced Phanton Dorf more. Maybe a taunt where he puts on the skull mask and takes off his cape.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I wish they either gave him magic and his OoT design
or his sword and his TP design.
Hopefully we can get an alt costume with Ganondorf's TP design and sword, either when the game releases or as a DLC at some point.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Sure, Ganondorf never used that sword, but his original Melee design was based on that tech demo, and that's the design that came back.

It's not like Smash Bros doesn't create moves out of thin air.

(I'm just hoping for a second magic-using Ganon/Ganondorf)

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't apart of the windwaker hype cycle at all, I was like 3. I'm 20 years old gen z, not some old millennial like you.

My first hype cycle game ever was skyward sword.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Hold on, what?

I wasn't apart of the windwaker hype cycle at all, I was like 3. I'm 20 years old gen z, not some old millennial like you.

"Ruined the hype for windwaker"

"I wasn't apart of the windwaker hype cycle at all"

Please tell me you see the contradiction here. Seriously, man. Pick a story and stick with it. You can't complain about something that had zero influence on your life whatsoever.

Also, something about your math is off too. I'm 24, FYI, so if you're 20 (btw, our generations have nothing to do with anything), that's only a 4 year difference. Yet, you claim you were around 3 during the hype cycle (which includes the game's release date). However, on the game's release date (which was in 2002, just so you know) I was 9. 3 years old to 9 years old is a 6 year difference.

How am I both 4 and 6 years older than you? Where's the missing information?

Also, I'd like to re-iterate: you don't have the right to complain about something that never affected you in any way whatsoever.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
All I’m getting from that last post is ageism against millennials. In which case, yeah, probably done giving this topic any attention.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
No one to blame but Nintendo.

No idea how they expected to tease a Zelda game with a realistic art style and (for the time) amazing graphics without people then expecting exactly that and being disappointed with WW by comparison.

I remember when WW was revealed, IGN saw the biggest shift in audience from the GC forums to the Xbox forums that they'd ever seen.

You don't bait and switch like that without people being unhappy.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
No one to blame but Nintendo.

No idea how they expected to tease a Zelda game with a realistic art style and (for the time) amazing graphics without people then expecting exactly that and being disappointed with WW by comparison.

I remember when WW was revealed, IGN saw the biggest shift in audience from the GC forums to the Xbox forums that they'd ever seen.

You don't bait and switch like that without people being unhappy.
What bait and switch? It was strictly a tech demo, not confirmation of a new Zelda game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Uh, so why are you complaining about it "ruining" Wind Waker?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
What bait and switch? It was strictly a tech demo, not confirmation of a new Zelda game.
It doesn't matter.

You can't show the playerbase a video like that, say, "See? This is the kind of Zelda game we could make on the Gamecube." and then turn around and make Windwaker instead without there being backlash.

It didn't help that this was an era where Nintendo was called out for having basically nothing available on its consoles to appeal to older gamers.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It doesn't matter.

You can't show the playerbase a video like that, say, "See? This is the kind of Zelda game we could make on the Gamecube." and then turn around and make Windwaker instead without there being backlash.

It didn't help that this was an era where Nintendo was called out for having basically nothing available on its consoles to appeal to older gamers.
You can. Hence the name tech demo.

What was shown there was never intended to be a demonstration of what an actual game would look like but as proof of concept of what the new technology was capable of. This are also created with investors, partners, other game devs and journalists in mind to show the applications of your new machine. If people speculate based on this, it's their own fault for setting themselves up for disappointment.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Lol, I had this same argument 18 years ago. Not about to get sucked into it again.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You can. Hence the name tech demo.
A tech demo is just a way of saying "This is what could be". And blaming fans for seeing what could be and then being shown what they're getting instead works about as well as calling them racist misogynists for not liking your movie and then expecting they'll go see the next one.

Lol, I had this same argument 18 years ago. Not about to get sucked into it again.
There's no argument to be had. The effects spoke for themselves. Nintendo created a lot of new Xbox fans on the day they revealed WW, as IGN saw a huge shift of primary posters on the GCN forums move over to the Xbox forums, the biggest shift they'd ever seen, in fact.

Vendors don't get to tell customers how to feel about something. It's up to vendors to advertise and build hype accordingly so that customers want the products they're selling. In this case, they built hype for a product they never planned to release. That's 100% Nintendo's fault.

Ganondorf wielding that sword in particular might even be Sakurai's way of low key trolling Miyamoto, as I know he didn't care for Miyamoto's advice during Brawl.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
It's clear nobody's going to convince you otherwise, so I'm not going to discuss something that was over and done with 18 years ago. I'll just say again that tech demos are not confirmations of new games. I didn't have any delusions as to what I was watching.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@People saying "Ganon never used a sword" have you played Twilight Princess? His final form is a sword battle. He also used 2 swords in Wind Waker. And his victory pose in Melee had one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
@People saying "Ganon never used a sword" have you played Twilight Princess? His final form is a sword battle. He also used 2 swords in Wind Waker. And his victory pose in Melee had one.
In Ocarina of Time.
Which the Smash Ultimate design is.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'll just say again that tech demos are not confirmations of new games. I didn't have any delusions as to what I was watching.
Doesn't need to be viewed as a confirmation to be disappointing, though. It was a preview of what the GC hardware could do, in this case, a super realistic Zelda game.

I don't see anything wrong with being disappointed with what they decided to do after seeing what they COULD have done.

I loved WW, but I definitely see why many were disappointed.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The thread focuses on a technicality. It doesn't matter if Ganondorf never drew a sword to fight you in Oot, we know that the man is capable of wielding one based his physique and on who the Gerudo are; other versions of himself do so. Besides, in the Ocarina of Time manga he engages in a sword fight with Link. Yes, I know it's not canon but I don't care.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The thread focuses on a technicality. It doesn't matter if Ganondorf never drew a sword to fight you in Oot, we know that the man is capable of wielding one based his physique and on who the Gerudo; other versions of himself do so. Besides, in the Ocarina of Time manga he engages in a sword fight with Link. Yes, I know it's not canon but I don't care.
Absolutely.

And I do feel like this was Sakurai's way of "canonizing" the tech demo in his own way. After all, Ganon never NEEDED to have the sword in his victory pose or anything...

D

Deleted member

Absolutely.

And I do feel like this was Sakurai's way of "canonizing" the tech demo in his own way. After all, Ganon never NEEDED to have the sword in his victory pose or anything...
Let it be known that I approve of Sakurai's 'canonizing' the sword. Besides the other points brought up about how OoT Ganondorf would have known how to wield swords in human form, we also see a similar-looking sword in TP wielded by the Darknut in the Temple of Time, and I subscribe to the theory that the Darknut was actually placed there by Ganondorf, so it's a Gerudo weapon.

Notice as well the round shield typical of Gerudo, and black armor, similar to that worn by Ganondorf himself. Also of note is that during your duel with Ganondorf at the end of the game, he basically is a modified Darknut in terms of his fighting style. Plus, look at Ganondorf's sheath for the Sword of the Sages in Twilight Princess. It's obviously a Gerudo scabbard and look at the shape of it! Look at it! Plus look at one of the swords wielded by Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors! That Space World 2000 sword is canon dang it

Aaaaanyway this isn't a Zelda theory site so--

The point is, Sakurai has taken liberties before, such as Zero Suit Samus's jet heels and all around awesome design, Sheik...in general, Captain Falcon's entire moveset, etc. The sword fits Ganondorf and we all wanted it so just let it happen

EDIT: I can't tell if my images are broken or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Let it be known that I approve of Sakurai's 'canonizing' the sword. Besides the other points brought up about how OoT Ganondorf would have known how to wield swords in human form, we also see a similar-looking sword in TP wielded by the Darknut in the Temple of Time, and I subscribe to the theory that the Darknut was actually placed there by Ganondorf, so it's a Gerudo weapon.

Notice as well the round shield typical of Gerudo, and black armor, similar to that worn by Ganondorf himself. Also of note is that during your duel with Ganondorf at the end of the game, he basically is a modified Darknut in terms of his fighting style. Plus, look at Ganondorf's sheath for the Sword of the Sages in Twilight Princess. It's obviously a Gerudo scabbard and look at the shape of it! Look at it! Plus look at one of the swords wielded by Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors! That Space World 2000 sword is canon dang it

Aaaaanyway this isn't a Zelda theory site so--

The point is, Sakurai has taken liberties before, such as Zero Suit Samus's jet heels and all around awesome design, Sheik...in general, Captain Falcon's entire moveset, etc. The sword fits Ganondorf and we all wanted it so just let it happen

EDIT: I can't tell if my images are broken or not?
Yeah completely agree with your assesment.

As for your pictures, yeah I think if you can't see them( the broken image icon) we cannot as well, I'm afraid, that's why I mostly refrain from using pics to illustrate my point as they are likely to not work properly from the start( even more so recently) but start working and stopping at random intervals, for whatever reason ;/

Also Edit.
I can for whatever reason see your pictures when I edit, my message along with your quote, so that's hella weird O_o

Last edited:

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
It doesn't matter.

It also didn't help that the other tech demos that they showed off at that Spaceworld became full games later down the line;

The Luigi's Mansion tech demo for lightning and effects became a launch game

The Metroid demo later became Metroid Prime

Even the Meowth's Party demo later became part of Pokemon Channel.

So it's no surprise that fans expected the next Zelda game to follow suit based on the demo because all other games that were demoed did became the games that were shown, so to just show a realistic Zelda looking game then switching to a cartoony style out of nowhere was just susprising.

But to be honest, trying to discuss that mess feels like talking about an issue that no longer matters. Since then, Wind Waker has been praised and beloved by fans, we got three more realistic Zelda games after that one, with Breath of the Wild seemingly being the best received Zelda game yet. So in the end everyone got what they wanted, and Ganon has his Spaceworld sword in Ultimate.

Top Bottom