• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technical Speed

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
So something I never find on this thread and possibly for good reason, is sonic specific tech, now I can definatly believe it's because specific tech for sonic could be far and Few between, but I'd like to see what you guys have found.

The most common sonic specific tech is his spinshot. But how about we talk about its specific uses for example.

Now I've recently come across an interesting trick sonic can do that, I haven't seen any other sonic use, this would be his boost grab and boost pivot grab, these are essentially a dash attack canceled grab a good option select if you think your opponent is going into shield. And even If they don't they'll get hit by the dash attack (hitbox only comes out for one frame).

Luk

Smash Journeyman
I too would like to hear some of the practical applications of spinshot (especially given the 3.5 nerf). I can't really do it reliably and haven't put in the work to try to practice/get it down due to not really knowing how/when/why I would ever use it.

Not really Sonic specific, but his moonwalk is so stinkin' long that it practically is a Sonic-unique tech. I love using it to go off the ledge to chase with a bair.

Another nice thing about boost grab is that at certain percents/characters, it'll get the hit AND the grab. Roy for instance nearly always gets hit by the hit AND the grab.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
There's no real good compendium for Sonic knowledge unless you go through the General Discussion, which I'm sure isn't something everyone wants to do.

The boost grab stuff has been touched on before, by myself, and it isn't *technically* Sonic specific(It's much closer to it now, but a the same tech works for GnW). It's a holdover Brawl Tech, like the Spinshot, and cancelling the hit into grab is usually referred to at a Gatling combo(Falco had this going for him as well up until 3.5). You can Gatling grab or, more devestatingly, Gatling into DACUS, where you hit with the first frame of Dash Attack and followup into a USmash. This works extremely well on Fox, where you can(at 0%), Gatling Grab>Uthrow>Gatling USmash>Regrab>Uthrow chain for a massive early percentage, but it's frame tight and you have to change up in accordance to DI.

Other neat stuff is grounded SideB cancel, where you hold back on the first possible frame(where you don't reverse it), and you do your little Spin Hop, and then it laglessly cancels with Sonic standing up. Great for Spot-dodge happy opponents and applying shield pressure.

Aerial as early as possible out of UpB to more than double your horizontal velocity out of Spring.

Top Bottom