• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technical Question

Daea

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone - I've been wondering about an issue for quite some time now, but never really figured out what was going on. The problem comes up most when I play Falco, so I'm asking it here on these boards even though it may apply to other characters as well.

My question involves the two techniques of smash-boosting and grab-boosting. When I smash-boost, I generally use c-stick down and then z+control stick up to trigger the up-smash, and when I want to grab-boost, I just use c-stick down and then z to trigger the grab. Lately, however, I've noticed that even when I input c-stick down and then z+control stick up, I often get a grab-boost instead of a smash-boost. It's weird because I might have someone in a d-throw at too high a % to cg, so I go for a boosted up-smash only to get a boosted grab instead. I know the problem isn't that I'm not pressing the up and z at the same time, because I've tested it out for quite some time in training mode. Whenever I test it, I always input dash, c-stick down, z+control stick up in the exact same way, but I get a random mix of grab-boosts and smash-boosts with seemingly no pattern. It might be something really slight, but I still can't figure out what triggers the grab and what triggers the smash.

Anyone also have this problem or know what's going on? Thanks in advance!

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
It's just a matter of timing. When you want to do a boost smash, try hitting up on the control stick first, followed by Z immediately afterwards.

Top Bottom