• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teching off the tree? Tree...teching? Can this be a thing?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No, I don't have footage. Why? Because I'm an idiot and forgot to save the match.

But basically what happened was, I was at high percents, in the middle of the stage, right next to my tree, and got smashed by an Ike. Hard. Into the tree. But I didn't go anywhere. It couldn't have been that I bounced off the stage, because I didn't even go up. I just stopped, and I WAS midair when I did so.

I believe the Ike used his neutral B, and I tried to airdodge, but ended up doing it too late and got hit. I just didn't move.

Like what?

Is teching off of a tree a thing now?

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
I don't think it's actually a thing .. You can't walljump from a tree so i don't see why we can tech on it. Maybe Ike's neutral b "spiked" you but you just did a tech directly on the ground so you didn't bounce !

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't think it's actually a thing .. You can't walljump from a tree so i don't see why we can tech on it. Maybe Ike's neutral b "spiked" you but you just did a tech directly on the ground so you didn't bounce !
That's the thing, when it hit me I was still airborne x.x I naired him right after.

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
Have you tried replicating it?

I'm thinking you got hit into the ground and bounced up. Or perhaps you got hit into the ground and teched it so you didn't go flying off the stage?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Have you tried replicating it?

I'm thinking you got hit into the ground and bounced up. Or perhaps you got hit into the ground and teched it so you didn't go flying off the stage?
Again, I was airborne. x.x aso I couldnt have teched anything but the tree

I'll try recreating it, but wish I woulda saved that replay.... DX

Iirc Ike's neutral B has a meteor hitbox at the tip of the sword as it plunges through the air. If you got hit by that hitbox while airborne you would have been spiked, allowing you to tech the stage. Then you... short hopped? Your memory on what exactly happened seems fuzzy, so it seems likely to me that you don't remember that detail.

As awesome as it would be to have an on-demand techable surface in the tree, I really doubt you did that... For all intents and purposes, it behaves like an interactive item, rather than as a surface. The biggest evidence for this is the fact that Mega Man's Metal Blades go through the tree rather than embedding into it, as they do on surfaces.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I believe being spiked into the stage reduces the hitstun you're in after you've bounced off the ground so you can do actions immediately after. Try using Duck Hunt and being spiked into the stage like at 50% and spam some action like nair or air dodge after you're spiked and you'll see what I mean.

That said, I think tree would help survivability in some degree, it is an object that you're trying to move past so I'd think it would slow you down while you try to move through the tree while in knockback effectively taking away some of the knocback, to what degree I don't know, but just a theory. Does a person in knockback still have a hitbox attached to them in this game? Like in doubles if you knocked Mario into Luigi would Luigi get hit by Mario in this game or was that removed?

StanTheFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
StanTheFanSSB
I believe being spiked into the stage reduces the hitstun you're in after you've bounced off the ground so you can do actions immediately after. Try using Duck Hunt and being spiked into the stage like at 50% and spam some action like nair or air dodge after you're spiked and you'll see what I mean.

That said, I think tree would help survivability in some degree, it is an object that you're trying to move past so I'd think it would slow you down while you try to move through the tree while in knockback effectively taking away some of the knocback, to what degree I don't know, but just a theory. Does a person in knockback still have a hitbox attached to them in this game? Like in doubles if you knocked Mario into Luigi would Luigi get hit by Mario in this game or was that removed?
That's a really good point. I don't recall it happening in any doubles match that I've seen so far, and I haven't experienced it personally. However, if it is in the game, maybe it would slow momentum down a bit colliding with the tree.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
I would love to see if this is true or not. Sounds like a nice interesting mystery to solve.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Yeah, could have been just a one-time glitch/oddity thing or something else that you couldn't see in the heat of the match.

Like when Shofu thought that WFT's Fsmash couldn't hit Olimar because of his height. Turns out that Olimar spot-dodged, but it was very hard to see. Hilarity ensued afterwards.

Last edited:
To be fair WFT's FSmash does in fact whiff against a lot of silly things. It can't hit Kirby is he's just standing there, for instance.

Anyway I don't think the cannonball effect is a thing anymore, aside from enemies in smash run. There are some throws where the person you're throwing becomes a hitbox (I think Wario's BThrow is like this), but not while launched.

It'll be a lil hard to test if the tree reduces KB since the game only records KB at the instant of it being applied, but I think it could be tested by percent with something like WFT's DSmash

Top Bottom