• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Talk/Dump

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Thread to bring in and discuss the tech for Toon Link. Mostly a container thread so people don't have the scour the Internet for all the bits and pieces.

As of now it looks like the biggest changes from where I've been seeing is the slight nerf to Jump Cancelled Bombs with the window being shorted from 5 to 3 frames, and Z-Dropping being heavily buffed from 4.

ToonLink_xX

Smash Rookie
Anyone able to jc throw and recatch with an aerial, seems the timing is quite strict this time around.

Anyone able to jc throw and recatch with an aerial, seems the timing is quite strict this time around.
I'm not sure it's actually a thing this time around. I'd happily be wrong, but the shorthop auto-aerial system seems to make any jc input into a shorthop throw instead. Unless it's a totally different input than in 4, in which case I'm out of the loop. We do have the ability to throw from the air and catch with a tilt or dash attack, though.

I'm finding f-tilt to be quite interesting, since it can scoop enemies from behind TL. I've been testing a bit, and it seems the back hitbox could potentially lead into jablock or tech-chase scenarios at certain percents, as well as a combo into spin-attack at 0% against heavies. I have no idea what it could do against floaties. If you throw a bomb up beforehand, you might even get a kill confirm at around 100%, but the timing is strict. You could also catch a bomb as you throw out the back hit to then throw the bomb again to catch someone off guard. All of this is probably really impractical during an actual match, but could be situationally useful.

ToonLink_xX

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure it's actually a thing this time around. I'd happily be wrong, but the shorthop auto-aerial system seems to make any jc input into a shorthop throw instead. Unless it's a totally different input than in 4, in which case I'm out of the loop. We do have the ability to throw from the air and catch with a tilt or dash attack, though.

I'm finding f-tilt to be quite interesting, since it can scoop enemies from behind TL. I've been testing a bit, and it seems the back hitbox could potentially lead into jablock or tech-chase scenarios at certain percents, as well as a combo into spin-attack at 0% against heavies. I have no idea what it could do against floaties. If you throw a bomb up beforehand, you might even get a kill confirm at around 100%, but the timing is strict. You could also catch a bomb as you throw out the back hit to then throw the bomb again to catch someone off guard. All of this is probably really impractical during an actual match, but could be situationally useful.
You can definitely jc throw how ever it is a lot harder to do due to the jump squat animation being reduced from 5 frames to 3.

Tc throwing is a whole lot easier and i believe much more effective.

Fair enough. I don't have very fast fingers so I'm struggling a bit with some things that are a few frames tighter than they used to be.

ToonLink_xX

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kjQtMaPkE

If anyone hasn't watched the above video please do so. The tech is very easy to perform and really helps tinks aerials.
Fair looks like it could be safe on shield and nair is absolutely amazing if you're not looking to follow up.

Momentum can also be haulted using zair but dont think it will be very useful at all.

The insta throw looks interesting as well.

Last edited:

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
You can definitely jc throw how ever it is a lot harder to do due to the jump squat animation being reduced from 5 frames to 3.

Tc throwing is a whole lot easier and i believe much more effective.
TC Throw?

Top Bottom