• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech skill

ccrackpot

Smash Rookie
I wonder, which character requires the most tech skill.

Atm, I mostly play puff. But when I do the little wavedash etc, my friends are like "thats worthless".

They don't notice L-Cancels either.

I want them to see, how useful techskill is, and I want to train it with them.

So, how I can impress them and make 'em want to learn that stuff.

Maybe I should play like Fox/Falco anddo stuff like wave / drillshine

What would u say? :S

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Incorporating tech skill in a meaningful way into your play just comes from using it as much as possible in your regular play until you get a good understanding of how to use it to your advantage. Puff isn't that technical of a character, but there are some things you can do. When you WD, do it to space and make it serve a purpose. l-cancel everything. And if you really want to show your friends the power of tech, l-cancel a bair to bait an approach and then immediately follow up with a pivot fsmash or something just so they can see how fast you can move from an l-cancel.

Hahaae

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hahaae
Yeah, there's not too much teching to be had with Puff, it's all mind games. Fox/Falco are a good example, but IMO you should go for style points instead and do Falcon. :smirk:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
APM (Actions per minute) Tier List:
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. DJC'ers
4. Ice Climbers
5. Everyone else with some deviation
6. Puff

# of ATs Tier List:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Fox
3. Falco
4. Peach
5. Any Character with DJC
6. Everyone else with some deviation
7. Puff

Superspright

Smash Lord
2. Yoshi

Come on.

to OP:

Your little wavedash is useless pretty much. If you played a character that demanded you use tech then they'd notice the difference. Jiggly isn't dodging much with her wavedash, and certainly isn't gaining a ton l-canceling because she's poking max range anyway.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Pivot fsmashes with puff? I don't really think that's a very useful move for her, lol.
let's be real here. op is playing real scrubby people and is just now trying to learn to use l-cancels his play in a meaningful way. more realistic options are bair to utilt or nair to shield grab. but his friends probably won't appreciate the insignificant knockback of these moves, being scrubs. they are probably not capable of punishing before op can pull of a fsmash from some l-cancelled and will probably have a hard time dealing with this mini gimmick. it's simply a good way to show what l-canceling can do but i'm by no mean advocating this strategy in high level play.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
also i hope you're not implying fsmash is a bad move with puff because it's one of the best in the game and is great for finishing people off in some instances.

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
let's be real here. op is playing real scrubby people and is just now trying to learn to use l-cancels his play in a meaningful way. more realistic options are bair to utilt or nair to shield grab. but his friends probably won't appreciate the insignificant knockback of these moves, being scrubs. they are probably not capable of punishing before op can pull of a fsmash from some l-cancelled and will probably have a hard time dealing with this mini gimmick. it's simply a good way to show what l-canceling can do but i'm by no mean advocating this strategy in high level play.
also i hope you're not implying fsmash is a bad move with puff because it's one of the best in the game and is great for finishing people off in some instances.
I'm not saying fsmash is a bad move, I'm saying pivot fsmashing with puff is kind of pointless. Her dash length and speed aren't great relative to characters like Marth, so trying to pivot fsmash with puff will probably lead to more flubbed punishes than it'll actually help. It'd be ten thousand times easier and just as useful to wavedash forward and then fsmash. He's obviously just learning to L-cancel and stuff, so trying to tell him to pivot fsmash with puff in a real match (as opposed to in practice mode) is just kind of ridiculous. I'm well aware that puff's fsmash is like the 5th or 6th best fsmash in the game, and that it's a great kill move. It's still useless to tell anyone to pivot fsmash with her, lol.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'm not saying fsmash is a bad move, I'm saying pivot fsmashing with puff is kind of pointless. Her dash length and speed aren't great relative to characters like Marth, so trying to pivot fsmash with puff will probably lead to more flubbed punishes than it'll actually help. It'd be ten thousand times easier and just as useful to wavedash forward and then fsmash. He's obviously just learning to L-cancel and stuff, so trying to tell him to pivot fsmash with puff in a real match (as opposed to in practice mode) is just kind of ridiculous. I'm well aware that puff's fsmash is like the 5th or 6th best fsmash in the game, and that it's a great kill move. It's still useless to tell anyone to pivot fsmash with her, lol.
well it wouldn't necessarily have to be a pivot per se. i was just using that as an example with the bair, assuming op would have to change directions on the ground to get the fsmash in. that pivot wouldn't really be that hard to pull off but i guess for a beginner that'd be asking a little much. so perhaps that specific example is a bit skewed but fsmashing in general out of an l-cancel with puff would be a great way to demonstrate to himself and his friends the applications. a better example i guess would be a nair or fair l-cancelled into an fsmash.

Jarbinks9/11

Banned via Warnings
APM (Actions per minute) Tier List:
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. DJC'ers
4. Ice Climbers
5. Everyone else with some deviation
6. Puff

# of ATs Tier List:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Fox
3. Falco
4. Peach
5. Any Character with DJC
6. Everyone else with some deviation
7. Puff
DJCers at number 3? Pfffff outside of yoshi, saying that DJCs have a higher apm than characters like falcob or pikachu is just a reason for peach players to think that theyre good at video games. Peach should be near the bottom. Since she spends most of her time floating and pulling turnips than shffling or dancing around the stage. And since the only other DJCers are ness and mewtwo its safe to say that DJCing itself doesnt have too high of an apm by itself

SAUS

Smash Ace
Just play falco and short hop lasers. If you master that technique, they will probably get pretty mad lol.

DJCers at number 3? Pfffff outside of yoshi, saying that DJCs have a higher apm than characters like falcob or pikachu is just a reason for peach players to think that theyre good at video games. Peach should be near the bottom. Since she spends most of her time floating and pulling turnips than shffling or dancing around the stage. And since the only other DJCers are ness and mewtwo its safe to say that DJCing itself doesnt have too high of an apm by itself
Peach is actually pretty technical. I don't necessarily agree with that list, but believe me, Peach is not an easy character.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I see some of your points. Particularly Falcon who is definitely played with very high APM. I would still contend that DJC'ers have more APM simply because their aerial attacks are performed and l-cancelled at the such a faster rate than other character; add that with the typical dashdancing and wavedashing and their average amount of inputs is probably slightly higher.

Here would be my revised list

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Yoshi
4. Falcon
5. DJC'ers
6. Ice Climbers
7. Everyone else
8. Puff

Top Bottom