• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech Practice

Crispus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2229-8695
As I've been playing more and more melee, I'm realizing my tech skill is starting to fail me a bit more than I'd like it to. There are times when I know exactly what I NEED to do in a situation, but the problem is just doing it extremely consistently. Although Marth isn't as technical as some other "choice" characters, I think its still an extremely important skill to nail down, because it allows you to do whatever you want in a sense and not be worried about tech errors. So, I ask this to all my fellow Marth mains out there: What can I do / What do you all do to practice tech skill? This includes DD, l-canceling, chain-grabbing, the works. Do you have drills, or do you just "freestyle" it?

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
You should practice with the 20XX hack pack. Basically all the things that are necessary to Marth you can practice on there.

Things that are good concrete practice that don't build bad habits.

-General movement accuracy
-Chaingrabbing
-Wall teching
-Tipping your aerials with the corresponding hitbox to mitigate combo DI
-Sdi out of upthrow uair
-Shield/Shai dropping (with and without uair along with the corresponding timings for tipped or non tipped hitboxes) along with pivot shield dropped aerials to change timing or position.

Twitchy

Smash Cadet
I'm a strong proponent of complete isolation of one area of play in order to make it consistent. When I first learned to wave dash that is literally all I did for 3 days straight. I went into training on pokemon stadium as falco and I wavedashed around, wavelanded on platforms, and wavedashed into edge hog. I didn't bother "free styling" or "mixing it up". I don't think I ever actually preformed one attack during my wavedash training lol.

Also another important element of committing any sort of technique to muscle memory is sleep. During sleep is when your brain commits your day's actions to muscle memory. If possible, really try to get a solid and consistent 8 hours a night, especially on heavy practice days. Hope I helped a bit :)

Haaaaadoken

Smash Cadet
A lot of people have already posted the really important techs of Marth and you should practice those a lot. But another useful skill to have is to moonwalk ledge guard with Marth. Which is kinda a just a flashy tech but it has its usefulness.

Top Bottom