• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tech chasing

DD151

Smash Journeyman
what moves are best to tech chase with as yoshi against an opponent? fair comes out a little too slow for me, and i generally don't like trying to tech chase with nair since its range stinks. dash attack seems to be the easiest to hit with but can't lead into anything, and in my experiences a running grab whiffs if the opponent techs in place but it can possibly set up something.

any suggestions?

Velox

Smash Ace
Dash grab is pretty all purpose.

Double jump canceled u-air is good, depends on how far you are away from your opponent, as is f-tilt/u-tilt/etc.

D-smash is pretty good to stop multiple options at once.

U-smash is pretty good... ...yeah pretty much every move you can use.

Don't be afraid to look stupid as long as you have something that works. Example: Stand right next to the area your opponent is going to land (with you face right where they're going to end up) and just stand there, don't move a muscle. Then, if they tech in a direction, just dash grab from the standstill. If they tech in place (watch for this, it's faster than you think always) use u-tilt. If they don't tech u-tilt works too.

If say this situation in perticular because I see it all the time where the player is dash dancing where the other player is going to land, and then get tech in place -> shined because it's hard to punish the tech in place if you're dash dancing right there, the shine or whatever immediatly after the tech in place will be really fast. So just Drephen it and do something reeediculous looking.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
If you're a good tech-chaser, then everything should work. If you're not, then try some good luck with down smash, just watch out for people who tech in place a lot.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Velox, going along with that, G@be (falcon player)'s advice is to always wavedash just before they tech to reset yourself.

That way you can chase any option with a dash grab or Dash Cancelled downtilt/smash.

One of the understated skills required for tech-chasing is reflexes.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
I've been messing around with yoshi a lot lately, and it seems like every tech chasing move leads into nothing. Other characters have moves that can lead into more combos, but it seems like with yoshi if you tech chase and hit your opponent you get one hit and then they go too far away to tech chase them again before they recover. I'm kind of at a dead end too when it comes to tech chasing.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
If you can't seem to lead into a combo with any of your attacks, throw an egg at the spot he's teching at, and time it well. It should pop him into the air, and you can continue a combo from there.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
The egg idea is useful, but a lot of the time your opponent will recover or tech and roll out of range. I have been pondering this a lot more though. Dashing and upsmashing is a possibility since you can upsmash right out of your dash, which puts them into the air which can always lead to more combos. Wavedashing or dash crouching into a f-tilt or u-tilt are also other possibilities but they can be hard to pull off. So I guess there are ways to tech chase with yoshi but they it takes a lot of skill. I hope that in brawl yoshi's dash attack sends people up instead of forward, that could really help his tech chasing.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
The egg idea is useful, but a lot of the time your opponent will recover or tech and roll out of range. I have been pondering this a lot more though. Dashing and upsmashing is a possibility since you can upsmash right out of your dash, which puts them into the air which can always lead to more combos. Wavedashing or dash crouching into a f-tilt or u-tilt are also other possibilities but they can be hard to pull off. So I guess there are ways to tech chase with yoshi but they it takes a lot of skill. I hope that in brawl yoshi's dash attack sends people up instead of forward, that could really help his tech chasing.
Actually, I think Yoshi's moves are all fine. The only thing I want to see rid of is the side B, and replaced with something more useful.
But yeah, just get the opponent into the air somehow, and continue the rampage!

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
If the opponent is in the air then you have a lot of options. But when I play it seems like in most cases the other player is going to be on the ground by the time I can get to them for tech chasing. If they're in the air you have a lot of options. But if they're on the ground and you want to link an attack into more combos all you can do is dash to upsmash or wavedash to up smash or an f-tilt or u-tilt to get them in the air. Lately I've found out how useful the dash to up smash is.

Velox

Smash Ace
Oh, and I should probably add this here.

Don't think at the early stage of your game that you need to have a method set in stone to tech chase 100% perfect everytime. Really, you're just too worried about it. Relax and you will realize that as you get better, you get so good at prediction against the average opponent, even pros, you can limit the options down to 2 or even 1 option that they are going to go with. Also, you'll become better at following techs naturally, don't get overly stressed about it!

Even if you can't punish the tech, you'll also learn several ways to punish predictable actions after they tech, it's similar to tech chasing really, you'll learn to watch for rolls/spot dodges/jumps/or the opponent to dash away after they tech. I'll just let people tech where they want to and then watch for what action they take after they tech and punish them for that in the exact same fashion I would origionally tech chase!

In summary, just keep working on your game and in a few months when you look back you'll see exactly what I'm talking about, you'll naturally get better at it, and you'll even get better at punishing the opponent even if you can't get to them in time.

Top Bottom