• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

team tactics

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
i'd rank the top 6 doubles partners (in this order) as kirby, luigi, mario, samus, pika & yoshi... fox, falcon, dk & ness have potential but are just so easy to gimp in teams.
i like yoshi, falcon & dk a lot for teams, but i think you have to be pretty careful if you're going to play them in doubles... yoshi can get knocked out of his second jump a lot easier with 2 opponents, falcon's sub-par recovery is highlighted & dk's large hurtboxes become very noticeable with 3 other people jumping around.

with that being said, yoshi is very powerful & quick--his projectile is well-suited to team-play & his forward air & down + 'b' are also great finishers; falcon's speed, grab & combo game are awesome (his forward throw can be used as a pass); & dk's back throw & giant punch (if you can manage to charge it) are just nasty poaching weapons... my dk-maining friend specializes in this sort of game & it's pretty effective. :)

Last edited:

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
Are you going to smash con? If you're as funny in person as you are on the boards it would be fun. Oh and we still need to hear in detail the night you got arrested wearing a samus outfit and woke up naked (that was you right?).
Looks like it man. Trying to get @caneut too but he might have to apply for some welfare beforehand.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
link's gotta be the worst but where does puff fall? my gut feeling is 2nd to last but it's a cool idea to get rest-happy having your partner waking you up every time with a jab... :)

Last edited:

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Just in my experiences, this is how good the characters are in teams:

Best - kirby, pika, moostache bros., Green Samus

Good - falcon, yoshi, any other samus, DK

Not ideal (but usually most fun) - Link, Ness, Puff, Fox

but in saying that, the best team I have come across has a ness in it, so depends on the player.

I like having a character who is strong in the air, and one who is good on the ground. my mate and I do captain pikachu teams, with him (chu) staying mostly on the ground and my trolling the air.
Another one i like is yoshi and link. it takes a heap more effort, but yoshi racks the damage and link link finishes the job.
A great luigi is the best team parter imo.

Shears

Smash Master
Just in my experiences, this is how good the characters are in teams:

Best - kirby, pika, moostache bros., Green Samus

Good - falcon, yoshi, any other samus, DK

Not ideal (but usually most fun) - Link, Ness, Puff, Fox

but in saying that, the best team I have come across has a ness in it, so depends on the player.

I like having a character who is strong in the air, and one who is good on the ground. my mate and I do captain pikachu teams, with him (chu) staying mostly on the ground and my trolling the air.
Another one i like is yoshi and link. it takes a heap more effort, but yoshi racks the damage and link link finishes the job.
A great luigi is the best team parter imo.
Wrong, the best team you have now come across did not have a ness.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
what's with puff being low for you people

puff can save your partner with up air or neutral b, has good kill move with rest, good recovery and not exaclty easy to combo

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Luigi has all of that and doesn't die as easily.
That doesn't mean jiggs has to be low tier. And although jiggs could die off the top earlier than luigi, jiggs should be able to survive returning to stage better than luigi.

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
depends on the situation... i think in most cases luigi's recovery is preferable due to the fact that his down-b can be used to gain height & his up-b can be used to both sweet-spot & fall through platforms; additionally, not only is jiggs the easiest character to ko, but the lack of an effective up-b should cause any semi-spike to make a recovery attempt problematic at best. rest is a powerful finishing move, but it can be tricky to land safely because if your partner doesn't wake you up in time the extra opponent in play could easily lead to a lost stock.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I think an important thing to keep in mind is that if both characters live from being knocked offstage, Luigi will likely recover low to mid-low. Jiggs, on the other hand, can recover high which can be really helpful for recovering against a persistent edgeguarder. It can be so dangerous to jump offstage in a team battle due to the risk of getting the situation reversed on you. As a result, many characters cannot edgeguard Jiggs well without putting themselves at high risk.

Anyways, I think both respective characters have their own merits in regards to the legitimacy of their recoveries and uses. It's too speculative to say which one is better because I think good cases can be made for either side.

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
I know we can talk about character match ups, and much more smashing would need to take place until we know who is the best.
But there are a few 'ways of play' of the doubles team.

(Safety Dancer) - your very precise movement, constantly out of reach, not too many smashes and keeps moving.
- superboom, the Z and the like, mostly foxes, pika's and kirby's
and are generally the damagers and savers of the group, in booms case, he probably gets the kills also.

(Edge Hogging b@st@rd) - sits on the edge and waits for a grab and drill/spike. usually has a good recovery, but is basically in the team for MAXIMUM CORNAGE (said with a saffa accent).
- mostly played by the moustache bros. and DK does this not bad
these guys generally get the kills and use their lives. an unpredictable recovery helps these players exponentially.

(The Burst kind of team mate) [best and worst] - often have no regard for their or your life. will go any character, and play as if the game were a free for all, and all but one of the players called yo mamma phat! smashes, random upB's, kills you between rallies for fun, secretly a fremantle dockers supporters (aussie thing)
- any character
these people are the most fun to play with, but you will most often never win against a serious team (unless your with isai). these players are usually to stoned or fun to play to any gameplay.

Top Bottom