• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Rocket Prepares For Trouble!(Pokemon Trainer Echo Fighter)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
This was an idea that came to me the other day when I was thinking about possible echo fighters for characters unlikely to get one, and the timing is perfect with Team Rocket having a large role in Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. So first lets get the most important part of the character out of the way, which is the Pokemon team rocket would be using:

Squirtle - Meowth
Ivysaur - Weepinbell
Charizard - Lickitung

Alternates could be Arbok, Weezing, Victreebell, or Persian, consistent with the Pokemon used by Team Rocket and their leader Giovanni. Jesse or James would be the background character replacing the trainer.

How likely is this fighter?: Like I said, the chances for them to get in are the highest they ever will be with the Lets Go games coming out a month before Smash will. However, it seems that a character like this would be more difficult to implement and may take away from some of the uniqueness of Pokemon Trainer. However, if there was to be an echo fighter of Pokemon Trainer, I feel that Team Rocket would be the best way to go.

This was an idea that came to me the other day when I was thinking about possible echo fighters for characters unlikely to get one, and the timing is perfect with Team Rocket having a large role in Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee. So first lets get the most important part of the character out of the way, which is the Pokemon team rocket would be using:

Squirtle - Meowth
Ivysaur - Weepinbell
Charizard - Lickitung

Alternates could be Arbok, Weezing, Victreebell, or Persian, consistent with the Pokemon used by Team Rocket and their leader Giovanni. Jesse or James would be the background character replacing the trainer.

How likely is this fighter?: Like I said, the chances for them to get in are the highest they ever will be with the Lets Go games coming out a month before Smash will. However, it seems that a character like this would be more difficult to implement and may take away from some of the uniqueness of Pokemon Trainer. However, if there was to be an echo fighter of Pokemon Trainer, I feel that Team Rocket would be the best way to go.
I've created this thread for Team Rocket Grunt a few weeks ago, feel free to take anything you want from it.

https://smashboards.com/threads/team-rocket-grunt-wants-to-battle-speculation-for-fun.457032/

I didn't create it to gather support, just for sharing the idea. Count me in as a supporter if you want!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This makes no sense. Meowth cannot be an Echo of Squirtle. Weepinbell cannot be an Echo of Ivysaur. Lickitung cannot be an Echo of Charizard. They don’t even share similar body builds.

If Team Rocket gets in, most likely they will be using Meowth, Ekans (or Arbok), and Koffing (or Weezing) because they are the Pokémon Team Rocket used in the original Pokémon Yellow and the remake Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee.

I think Team Rocket needs to be approached differently from Pokémon Trainer. Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing don’t have arms or appropriate fighter builds for Smash so they aren’t going to work as stand-alone fighters. Meowth is the only one with arms and an appropriate fighter build.

Since Meowth is the only one who could work as a stand-alone fighter, the other Pokémon could be part of Meowth’s moveset. Obviously Meowth is not going to summon Pokémon to assist him, he’s not a Pokémon Trainer... but Team Rocket Jessie and James are Pokémon Trainers so they would stay in the background and send out their Pokémon to assist Meowth.

Remember the Team Rocket motto?

Prepare for trouble.
And make it double.
(the rest of the motto)
Meowth! That’s right!

See the first two lines? Double trouble.

Thanks to 3rd gen Pokémon games, Double Battles are a thing. Team Rocket would basically be Meowth as a playable fighter who is paired with Ekans/Arbok or Koffing/Weezing... and you can switch between Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing with Down+B... and they are doing a Double Battle against the other Smash fighters.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
Totally disagree about Weezing and Arbok not being viable as fighters for a Pokemon Trainer type of build. I think you're underestimating how creative Sakurai and his team can be; Arbok has a head, sharp teeth, and a tail, while Weezing has 3 heads and poison gas that can be used in all sorts of ways. That's enough to make a complete moveset even for their normal attacks. Look at Piranha plant, you can work with very little.

The only think I'd be unsure about is how Weezing could possible grab enemies, but what if he literally can't grab but his poison is great for eaten away shields? That would be an interesting type of gameplay. Arbok could be the same or immediately entwine enemies and bite them for the grab.

But an IceClimbers/Rosalina type gameplay where you are Meowth and you can switch your partner between Arbok/Weezing and maybe a third could be pretty cool too.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I honestly wouldn't want Weezing or Arbok. I'd rather actually play as Jessie and James, have them pull out their Pokemon for attacks. Specials and smashes.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
For Team Rocket, even a small victory is an improvement:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I loved the suits. Wish there was a way they would look like Jessie and James. But OK. I would also like to see suits of other Teams like Skull or Aqua.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For Team Rocket, even a small victory is an improvement:
Meowth! That’s right!

I believe this is a small victory for Meowth/Team Rocket supporters. But I cannot help wondering what the supporters did to get Sakurai to acknowledge the existence of fan demand for Meowth/Team Rocket.

I mean, I barely see Meowth/Team Rocket supporters on here and on social media like Facebook and Twitter. So... how did we do it?

Top Bottom