• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

team combo set ups

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
So Has anyone looked into like staple combos me and mh partner use marth and fox we alway study pewfat matches . So any ideas i know a lot happens off of a grab any other suggestions to look/test out?

I am not really for the idea of trying to memorize combos in teams. It is far too dynamic and your time might be spent better else where in learning teams. The general idea I have been given is to follow a few guiding principles in regards to team punishes.

The basic of which is you both cover certain options. For example, if we are in a 2v1 on FD, then one of us goes in to attack. Fox is closer and goes to attack the other player. If Fox messes up, then the other player is in lag and Marth can punish said opponent's lag. If Fox gets it right, then all Marth has to do is cover options. Say Fox gets an Usmash and the person goes in towards the stage. Marth is there to put the person back towards fox and towards the ledge. If person DI's fox's usmash towards the ledge, then Fox continues the combo and Marth gets to keep covering for Fox on mistakes or if the person DI's towards the Marth.

There are really no combo's you look for doing (in rare circumstances). You both keep to a guiding principle of keeping the other person in a bad position and cover options between the two of you. The natural result of this is you both pull of a team combos.

A few situations I can think of doing is where say Fox has the better ability to KO than Marth does. Fox's Uair/Usmash will kill better than letting Marth get the Uair. However, it is the same situation as I detailed before. If Marth Uthrow's a person, then if they go in front of Marth and away from Fox, Marth follows-up and not Fox. If the person DI's towards fox or high enough for Fox to intercept the character above Marth he should go for it since Uair kills and Marth's does not. Or maybe in a better scenario Marth gets a grab and Fox can quickly run over to Usmash the person grabbed.

I believe good team combos come as a result of simply good options coverage. Which is a result of reacting and improvising to the situation rather than memorizing specific chain of actions.

Last edited:

seko08sk

Smash Cadet
I am not really for the idea of trying to memorize combos in teams. It is far too dynamic and your time might be spent better else where in learning teams. The general idea I have been given is to follow a few guiding principles in regards to team punishes.

The basic of which is you both cover certain options. For example, if we are in a 2v1 on FD, then one of us goes in to attack. Fox is closer and goes to attack the other player. If Fox messes up, then the other player is in lag and Marth can punish said opponent's lag. If Fox gets it right, then all Marth has to do is cover options. Say Fox gets an Usmash and the person goes in towards the stage. Marth is there to put the person back towards fox and towards the ledge. If person DI's fox's usmash towards the ledge, then Fox continues the combo and Marth gets to keep covering for Fox on mistakes or if the person DI's towards the Marth.

There are really no combo's you look for doing (in rare circumstances). You both keep to a guiding principle of keeping the other person in a bad position and cover options between the two of you. The natural result of this is you both pull of a team combos.

A few situations I can think of doing is where say Fox has the better ability to KO than Marth does. Fox's Uair/Usmash will kill better than letting Marth get the Uair. However, it is the same situation as I detailed before. If Marth Uthrow's a person, then if they go in front of Marth and away from Fox, Marth follows-up and not Fox. If the person DI's towards fox or high enough for Fox to intercept the character above Marth he should go for it since Uair kills and Marth's does not. Or maybe in a better scenario Marth gets a grab and Fox can quickly run over to Usmash the person grabbed.

I believe good team combos come as a result of simply good options coverage. Which is a result of reacting and improvising to the situation rather than memorizing specific chain of actions.
Thank You for your insight any other advice for teams?

Top Bottom