• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team advice with Sheik

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
So I'm going to be practicing doubles for a tournament at the end of April and I'm teaming with a Sheik. Other than synergy and knowing what your partner is going to attempt so you can capitalize for the team combos, is there any sort of preparation we can do? Set-ups? I'm a bit lost on where to start other than "Play together a lot"

Any advice is welcome
~Thanks

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
I'm also a relatively new puff playing teams with a Sheik, but I've noticed one thing: Sheik sucks at recovering. I always try to keep an eye on my partner and to float on over and help him out if he's getting edgeguarded. Jiggly's pretty mobile, so she can get over there pretty quickly and hit the dude with a bair or two.
Other than that, also a good idea to work on grab-rests (Sheik grabs and holds the guy, you jump over and rest him).

Hope some of that may have helped.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are a few obvious things that you probably know to think about. Like figuring out who's the aggressor and who's going to play more defensively and stuff. Figuring which stages you both like and where you like counterpicking specific characters is also important. I think just theory-crafting with your partner a lot helps. Talk about things like whether you think it's better for one of you to play a grounded game and the other to cover the air or if you both want to control the ground/air or whatever. What's important, I think, is getting to know your partner and how they think really well. Cool team stuff usually happens when you can read your partner; likewise, the worst team plays happen when partners don't know each other well so they get in each other's way. A big part of the reason team Pewfat works so well is that when one of them needs help or if one of them wants to set up a team combo, the other person knows it without them having to say anything. Play/talk with him until you can do a decent job of predicting how he will react to different situations. In terms of specific setups, there isn't much you can work on I don't think. Make sure he knows to hold people when he grabs and wait for you to rest them and that he needs to wake you up with needles or jabs. Talk about who should go out for edgeguards and who should hold ledge if you're both in position.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Sheik/Puff is one of the best teams in the game mostly because of how well they pull off one specific setup.

Sheik Grab > Puff Rest

You two need to practice that. Practice resting while they're grabbed, practice resting when they struggle out of grab, practice resting the opponent when sheik has been grabbed, practice staying near your teammate so you can rest, practice getting back to your teammate fast enough to rest when you're separated. Try to get in your partner's head and understand when they are motivated to grab, and try not to get too far apart from them so you can capitalize on rest setups.

Sheik is my favorite partner for teams because she can wake puff up from a distance with needles (even airborne), she has a fantastic grab game, and she can ledgeguard/gimp low better than anyone else in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom