• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaching Kids Melee 2: Basic Info on them

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=5164]Teaching Kids Melee 2: Basic Info on them[/drupal]

As of right now they have learned to do dash cancel followed by C stick, they can short hop, and they can fast fall. Before hand they knew basic tech(wall jump recover instantly from floor). I really don't know the pace that I should be teaching them these things, over flooding them with information would be a foolish idea. I haven't shown them anything character specific, I did show them Wak017(wakssbm is his new youtube channel) advanced how to play videos. But I made sure to skip over the ones I knew they wouldn't understand at all. I'm trying to be fairly cautious, I want them to enjoy this game as much as possible. After all we are all on this forum because we enjoy smash not because we just want to beat the living crap out of everybody for mere being the best(I hope so anyways).

I will say that despite all this caution they are definitely improving, Christian especially. He's always been able to grasp games better than I was his age. He beat super Mario galaxy 1 at 4-5 years old and beat a level 3 in SSBM when he himself was 3. There are more examples of him towards the later ages, but needless to say he has always been good at video games. Adrian gets better at a steady rate, since he is seven he is easily discouraged(the fact that he is the youngest brother also means he pretty much never wins), so I try and focus more attention on him. Dubbing what we do as "special training" and making sure we play some team battles with computers so he still sees his progress through wins too.

A problem that I have immediately run into is application, now this is a given for anybody trying to get better at a game. But applying said "advanced" techniques can be a real pain in the but, remembering to fast fall, that dash canceling is an option not just your slide attack. To not spam easily counterable moves. I just want to know if this is something that comes with time.

For today I'll just leave it at this, if anybody can help me with the pacing of teaching them. Or if anybody knows specific things I should probably tell them for there characters(once again young link and Dr. Mario). That would be appreciated greatly.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why don't you just condense it into all one blog instead of making separate blogs? It doesn't clutter the "User Blog" section and keeps all your information in one thread (blog).

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Why don't you just condense it into all one blog instead of making separate blogs? It doesn't clutter the "User Blog" section and keeps all your information in one thread (blog).
Haha sorry I don't know how XD This is the first time I am entering a forum and my first time entering a blog too, how do I do that?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just go to your original Teaching Children Melee and do "Post Reply". I usually then go to my first post, click edit, and then go to "Advanced Options and just edit the title name to whatever you want like "Teaching Kids Melee 2". Do that for every update. No need to make multiply blogs about the same subject.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Just go to your original Teaching Children Melee and do "Post Reply". I usually then go to my first post, click edit, and then go to "Advanced Options and just edit the title name to whatever you want like "Teaching Kids Melee 2". Do that for every update. No need to make multiply blogs about the same subject.
Will do and thank you, I hope it wasn't bothersome or anything.

jrkirby

Smash Rookie
That's pretty awesome. I bet they'll piss off older people who get destroyed by little kids

Top Bottom