• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teaching a Friend, Zelda's Side-B

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so my friend used to play Zelda a lot in Melee, and now he plays Project M. His biggest complaint is that they nerfed Din's Fire, because before he used to use it if people were at the edge of the screen to knock people the rest of the way for the kill. Personally, I'm pretty sure that the Project M dev team wouldn't straight up nerf anything on Zelda from Melee (she wasn't exactly broken), but I've never played the character in my life, so got no clue. So I ask the Zelda boards if you have any idea how he should be using Side-B, and why/if it's better now than it was before.

Thanks in advance.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
There's a thread about this called Triforce of Wisdom where we discuss different moves or ATs or what have you each week, and there's a lot of info about Din's Fire in there. Some general tips I'll put here though are that it's a great zoning tool, had horrible endlag in the air, and is the bread and butter of Zelda's playstyle. You can do combos that wouldn't be possible without it.
If you have a level 3, huge Din's you can smack someone into it and kill them that way. Putting a Din's in the magnifying zone and having someone hit it results in a star KO. That's all I can think of.

But Melee's Din's Fire is straight up garbage. A crappy side B projectile that puts you in helpless for gliding for two seconds? Hahaa no

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Din's is a spacing tool, provides stage control, and starts, extends, and finishes combos. An excellent 3.02 Zelda is dependent on superb Din's play. If you watch KDJ, notice how he doesn't seem to have a clue with how to use Din's, and with the way he plays, he would get more use out of Melee Din's. Because of this, his Zelda is limited, and he'll never be able to solo a tournament (even a local) with Zelda.

Now watch how someone who knows how to use Din's, and see just how much better it is. Have your friend watch this video from the point linked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVSpqyhgQc#t=43s

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
What both of the people above me said, though I think KDJ has solo'd locals with Zelda despite not using Dins.

All of the uses old din had you can still do with new din, and then some. Before it was a ****ty move that only ever worked if you outthought your opponent really hard (which is impossible to do against good players who have ever played against Zelda). It was a channel, and a long one at that since it moved so slowly, had a small hitbox that, when coupled with it moving so slowly, meant it only covered a specific area at any one moment, and put you into freefall if you used it midair (so you really couldnt). Think of it like if you could only fire off one of Mario's fireballs at a time but also couldnt move or use other moves as long as it was out. It blew.

New PM din lets you set up mines, temporarily controlling space for an extended, non-channeled period of time (past the initial channel). After 3 seconds the mines all explode, doing what old din used to do but relinquishing control of the space. The fuses are extended an extra 3 seconds every time you set a new din, but only 3 can be active at once. Transforming also explodes the mines. Oh and no freefall.

Setting up mines like in the Zhime video Kaeldiar linked will allow your friend to punish people with other moves during their hitstun. Zhime also times the explosions sometimes, which is another tactic. This is a creative, strategic, and dynamic playstyle. Results may vary.

If your friend wants to do the same thing he did before with Zelda, he can do almost exactly the same thing (but with more control) by placing the mine directly on the opponent. This will do pretty much the same thing it did in Melee, with the added benefit of continuing to offer that hitbox for 3 seconds.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Also, something that I forgot to mention is that super small Din's have their niche uses, solely for introducing hitstun to punish, which Zelda is all about currently. Small Din's can be placed in stages where they are hard to see, Dreamland comes to mind. I think you can put one behind the flowers? Little things like that are always nice to note, as they can really mess with your opponent and you can thrive in your jackassery as well!!

Top Bottom