• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teach Me What You Know: Roy vs. Olimar!

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
I'm going to a local this Friday, and it's gonna be my first tournament run with my boy. There's a guy there who mains Olimar and usually gives me a run for my money, so I'd like some insight beforehand. Certainly beats learning in the bracket. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The most important things I can think of are:
1. how pikmin act against Roy (namely the red and purples)
2. What are my edgeguard options?

Also, I know the guy is a sucker for retreating pivot grabs. Any advice on using this against him?

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Any idea if there's any potential for this to be recorded?

I'm very interested in 'vs Olimar' tech
I wish man, I've been wanting a capture card but I'm currently broke. And the venue doesn't have any recording equipment.

Last edited:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I really haven't played an Olimar yet. So I really have no clue. My best advice would to be to study some Youtube videos on solid Olimars and try to take from that. Good luck at the Tournament!

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, not many prominent olimars out there, so it's hard to get advice. I know HBox messed with him a little bit, maybe I'll go watch him.

RedHotWaffles

Smash Rookie
I play both and the most important thing is to stay on the ground. you both can juggle eachother pretty hard so it's really depends on who wins the neutral. Watch out for upb OOS no one ever sees it coming and it knocs you away at like 30 degrees from horizontal. I've never played a game against an olimar so I'm just mainly doing theory here.

Definitely watch what pikmin he has next in his lineup. if it's blue or white he's probably gonna go for a grab. the trick thing is that his grab range changes depending on is next in his lineup and he can whistle to change that whenever he wants. purple has the shortest reach and yellow can go DEEP. If he get's you in the air DI away and don't burn your jump too early.

If he get's you far enough upstage it's gonna be almost impossible to come back because olimar can go mad deep for a gimp if he has four pikmin (which he should be pulling anytime he has you offstage anyways). if you see him comping down one thing you can do is just mix up when you pull the upb. most people underestimate it and the sword puts a pretty big hitbox in front of you. also if you haven't already burned your side b stall that covers like 150 degrees around you and swats him away.

If your pcs decent and the latency isn't too bad I'd be happy to netplay you so you can get some more practice. even if it's bad I can just show you how to di most moves and when to expect it and ****.

Edit: For stages it's pretty standard. High ceilings to delay his vertical KOs. I don't know which of the stages to strike but I'd wager lylat and Warioware are pretty bad in that matchup. also nair is super good if you have a pikmin on you to swat them off.

Last edited:

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the input man, I really appreciate it. I wish I could netplay, but my computer is currently garbage. I'm looking to upgrade but I'm pretty broke and moving soon, so it's a low priority. Can you tell me how the red pikmin react to roy's sword? I know they are invulnerable to fire..

RedHotWaffles

Smash Rookie
Uh I think all your attacks still hurt them but they just don't take the fire damage. I've actually never paid much attention to it.

Speaking of that if he's tossing at you jab is your safest move to swat them away because you can actually Waveland out of a SH toss and to bait out an aerial and then shield grab. Its a pretty tight link ( I can't do it consistently, you basically have to do it like 2 frames before landing), but it can be really good if you have like purple then yellow or blue in your lineup.

Olimar is a very mental character so just stay smart and keep the pressure on and you'll do fine.

Also look through the first few pages of the Roy tricks and tips thread and find that video where he upBs but moves backwards on FoD. I think its called like useless Roy tech. I can't think of anyway olimar could really intercept that and it would make FoD that much better of a counter pick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom