• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teach Me Link

RonaldC

Smash Rookie
I'm aiming to develop into a Link player with skills acceptable on this forum.

I would say I'm at level 3, the Grabbing Phase. Thanks Valoem. My secondary character is Pikachu, and I've learned the power of grab from playing it.

I realize that Link is considered the worst character in Smash 64. But, this is also a reason to be good at him! Video: Link (Isai) beats Pikachu (Park). Another reason is that I'm a fan of the Zelda series ;).

I know I'll never hope to reach his level. Isai is sometimes considered the best in both Smash series. I just want to reach a level acceptable on this board, and from my perspective, you guys are pretty darn skilled already!

So, I would really appreciate it if you guys helped me improve my Link :).

From playing with my friends, I'm fairly familar with Link. I think:

1. Boomerang has good stun
2. Strong smash attack
3. Other moves too much recovery time

I've read the Advanced Technique thread. Thanks Wenbobular. It's pretty insightful. I've learned to:

1. Dsmash Z-cancel
2. Shield grab

I don't understand how to:

1. Shorthop
2. Usmash during dash
3. Usmash out of shield

I'm using keyboard to play on Kaillera. Does that mean I can't perform some techniqes?

Is there more I should know/learn about on Link?

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Using Keyboard, you have to use a C button to short hop. Just tap the button and you short hop.

Upsmash out of stuf is easier on keyboard IMO since pressing up is an atuomatic smash. Just run/shield, then press up and a at the same time as you owuld for a normal upsmash.

RonaldC

Smash Rookie
Thanks

So, C buttons for shorthop.

Been practicing shorthop, but it's pretty darn difficult on keyboard.

I can only shorthop by using like a fast twitch motion with my whole hand, but single finger doesn't release the c-key fast enough. My fingers just aren't fast enough. What to do?

Pressing attack during shield, grabs. But pressing up during shiled doesn't do anything special. Link just jumps :laugh:.

Am I doing something wrong?

7ak

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a bit hard to play a decent Link with a keyboard because of all the complex boomerang angles and pulling bombs while jumping. You should get a USB adapter.......makes it a lot more fun, especially with Link. You're having trouble with the running smashes because it's hard to do on a keyboard.

To start, you can't Z-cancel a downsmash..........I think you're talking about down-air. Its very important to z-cancel every aerial, even up-airs and especially forward-airs.

For shorthopping, I guess you could try the space bar or something for a C-button so you can just flick it.........takes some practice if you've never played smash before.

Learn to juggle with up-tilts and up-smashes, and experiment with boomerang combos. A lot of times boomerang hit to up-tilt or up-smash works or you could throw a bomb while they're stunned. If you hit them with a boomerang in the air, following with a forward air works too.

I think I'm not bad with Link even though I got ***** by Isai in a Link ditto.........but it's Isai. I think his Link might be unbeatable on Hyrule(or any map).........his boomerang combos were orgasmic and he was crazy on the right side wall.

I also don't think Link is the worst character in the game..........just probably the least cheap/most difficult to play. He has some amazing combos on every character and his power, priority, and projectiles are great. If he had the SSBM hookshot recovery, he could be one of the best..........but thats the fun of playing Link. If you're good you can easily hang with a Pikachu, Fox, Falcon, or a bad Kirby.

SuperSmashFighters

Smash Cadet
for link hm... try not to miss alyways hit them since if you miss then he has alot of lag after it and then they just smack you....:)

greenblob

Smash Lord
Get a controller for Link. A good Link requires being able to use tilts on demand due to extremely laggy smashes.

The best strategy with Link is to projectile wall and aerial spam. Experiment with bomb, boomerang, uair, utilt, dtilt, and bair combos followed by fair or dair finishers. When you have a free moment, pull out a bomb or throw a boomerang, both of which are great for disrupting your opponents' combos.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
For Upsmash/B out of shield, Jumping cancels the shield and instantly pressing UpA will do an Upsmash before you leave the ground. You dont have to do that separately either. The Up will register for both the shield cancel and upsmash. Same with UpB out of shield.

Link's only considered that low cuz people dont know how to play him well.

Fair-upsmash-uptilt-anything else is good combo from 0

RonaldC

Smash Rookie
Thanks. You guys are really helpful!

Now I know:

1. Usmash out of shield
2. Should be saying Zcancel Dair

Problems:

1. What's a tilt? :laugh:
2. Still having trouble with shorthop
3. Unfortunately, I never had a controller :ohwell:

Points taken:

1. Juggle with Usmash Utilt
2. Use more aerial attacks

greenblob

Smash Lord
When you watch the tutorial, what most of us call a "tilt attack" is what the tutorial calls a "strong attack." Tilts are why many of us are recommending using a controller.

For the short hop, you just have to really let go of the key as fast as possible. If you're using the space bar/alt/ctrl/shift/some other large button to jump, I recommend using a small key (such as a letter or number key).

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Like everyone said, buy a controller/adapter or you'll never play Link to his full potential.

Tilts are quite useful, especially up-tilt. Try this.........do a dash attack and then hold up while he's still got his sword out..........then keep holding up and press A. He should swipe his sword up in a big arc.........thats the up-tilt. For downtilt, just hold down and press A instead of smashing down+A at the same time.............he should flick his sword out near the ground.

Every character has an up-tilt, forward-tilt, and down-tilt and the easiest way to do them is to do some move beforehand and then start inputting the tilt direction and then press A. For example, you could do a neutral-air...........Z-cancel.........land while holding up.........then press A to up-tilt.

RonaldC

Smash Rookie
Ah, so that's a tilt. I've accidently done them on several occations. Utilt juggling is indeed very good.

I'm still practicing on previous problems. Now I'll be practicing my tilts, too.

It's really unfortunate that Link is at full potential on controller. I'm trying to stick to keyboard, because when school gets dull, sometimes we play Smash 64 in the library, which is when most of us play. It's a pretty noisy library with people doing all sorts of things besides reading and homework.

Anyhow, I'm sorry to disappoint, but it seems keyboard is the most sensible choice.

7ak, you've been such a great help. Thanks.

When I've familiarized myself with some of the advanced techniques, then I'll be back to talk. :)

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
When you watch the tutorial, what most of us call a "tilt attack" is what the tutorial calls a "strong attack." Tilts are why many of us are recommending using a controller.

actually I recommended he get a controller so he can be good on console. what's the point of playing if you can't ever be able to show it cause you learned on a 360 controller or a keyboard, there's no 360 or keyboard ports on the n64.

Top Bottom