• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunts?

Renanri

Smash Cadet
NNID
RuriAri
3DS FC
1049-1229-2048
I wonder, do any of you taunt after you take someone's stock? Or do you only use it when they self-destruct?
Do any of you think it's bad-mannered? Just curious~ :4lemmy:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I use it whenever I have the time. Sometimes even when I'm just kinda far from my opponent. Since it's all in good fun for me, I see it as some playful taunting of the opposition.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I always taunt after taking a stock, because it is bad manners and therefore absolutely necessary in Smash.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I generally only taunt for one of two reasons:
1. I want to display the message I have attached to the taunt
2. I just pulled off something hilarious with Falcon/Ganondorf and wish to rub it in my opponent's face

I don't think taunting after someone loses a stock is disrespectful, however I do think that if you do it after every single stock they lose, it would probably wear thin and just become annoying more than anything.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I taunt whenever I can because Lucina's taunts are godly

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
For me, it really depends on the setting. When I'm playing a serious match, I'll never taunt... not because I care about being ill-mannered but because that's not really what I'm playing for. I just want to enjoy an intense, focused match with someone. If it's in For Fun or a laid-back game against friends though, I'll taunt every time I get a good kill.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
It depends with me:

1. If I'm in a lobby with someone for 10+ rounds, we start ducking and taunting to let the other know we're ready.

2. If someone SD's on accident, I SD on purpose, then taunt to show them I play fair.

3. If I K.O someone with Ness' bat, I do his side taunt. Or if I go AFK for a few seconds and my opponent is nice enough to wait for me, I do his "Okay!" taunt to show I'm ready.

4. If something hilarious happens I taunt sometimes as well.

If you taunt after every stock you take, and during mid match excessively, that'd be pretty annoying.

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Usually taunt when either me or my opponent accidentally suicides but mostly I taunt just before the final KO so they see my taunt in the freeze frame before the results screen.

Or if everyone is Shulk in a team battle, then any time is a good time to taunt and you know which one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I like using Dark Pit's up taunt after taking a stock. It probably annoys people, but oh well. I'm just having fun with it lol.

DynamicMoves

Smash Cadet
NNID
DynamicMovement
3DS FC
4485-0297-2818
The fact is, it annoys a lot of people. People who taunt know this. There is no way you do not know this.
You can say it's just for fun, or whatever you wish, but you know you have a good chance of getting on somebody's nerves.

Course, this is the internet, and "it's just a game, thus I have an excuse to act like an ass". Myself, I don't rub it in somebody's face when I win games unless I know the person very well and I know they can take it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The fact is, it annoys a lot of people. People who taunt know this. There is no way you do not know this.
You can say it's just for fun, or whatever you wish, but you know you have a good chance of getting on somebody's nerves.

Course, this is the internet, and "it's just a game, thus I have an excuse to act like an ***". Myself, I don't rub it in somebody's face when I win games unless I know the person very well and I know they can take it.
I taunt online only with two things

1. Villager's amazing dance.

2. Marth's "Minna! Mitei Tekure!" which is actually a sort of 'battlecry' in a way.

Basically if a taunt is degrading like Wario's, I wouldn't use it.

Pikachu's certainly aren't harmful.

Last edited:

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I taunt only if the opponent taunts as well for good fun.
If I see someone SD I just kinda crouch next to the ledge being all like "Awww well that sucks..."

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I personally find it hilarious when someone kills me and then proceeds to taunt me, so I do the same.

After all, I'm playing Smash to have fun.

Niala

Smash Ace
If somebody wants to taunt go ahead, but if you're just doing it after every stock it's completely meaningless. If you want to use Taunts, you should probably only be doing so if you outplay your opponent really hard. Which is basically what I do.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If they SD , i SD for fair play after doing the Up Taunt of Sonic

If i kill i do the Down Taut ...

And sometime it's finish in Taunt Party ...

Last edited:

Solarman

Smash Cadet
I would taunt a lot more if they didn't get rid of Sonic's "you're too slow!" But I will sometimes taunt with Megaman because of how fast they go. Also if I use Shulk I find myself using side taunt way too much because I'm *puts sun glasses on, Really feelin it !

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Taunting every time you take one of the opponent's stocks is tacky as hell

I only taunt when I mess up somehow or when the opponent taunts (because sometimes it becomes sort of a taunt party, which is stupid and funny to me :p)
If he SD , i SD for fair play after doing the Up Taunt of Sonic
They*

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I taunt to 'look cool' after a kill, although I'm so bad I rarely get kills on For Glory... :I
Megaman's side taunt where he kinda loads his arm cannon IS AWESOME.
Samus' Arm Cannon taunt also looks pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I actually find it incredibly disrespectful when someone taunts when they take a stock or win a match.
Sometimes its alright is something Really exciting happens like hitting someone with a reverse Warlock/Falcon Punch or you get hit by a 0 to Death combo, but besides that, I really hate when people taunt.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I tend not to taunt. When you take a stock off your opponent, you look way better if you don't taunt, in my opinion :p

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taunting. I do it all the time. Many times in mid-match.

Top Bottom