• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Tons of matches start with a taunt.
Stop taunting at the beginning of the match. You will be punished.
Make sure your opponent is dead before you taunt. Especially near the edge. You'll probably be punished.
Don''t taunt after every Kill. You're probably going to be punished and that's just rude.

Does anyone else feel the same way about taunting? To me it's really is annoying to hear "SHOW ME YA MOVES" or "YOU'RE TOO SLOW" or etc. after minuscule thing done right.

Edit:
Of course it's still fine to taunt, I'm talking about everything in a match being taunted.
Didn't clarify that well did I? Genuinely sorry about that.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I always taunt because of the good ol bonus if you do your taunt at the end of the game.
Seriously, why does it bother people that much? It is just a game ffs

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I taunt at the beginning of a match if I encounter a new player.

If I get punished for it, so be it.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
I taunt at the beginning of a match if I encounter a new player.

If I get punished for it, so be it.
I guess I can understand that, but I'm talking more about repetition after literally everything. Like "I got a spike! Didn't kill but I'll taunt." "Oh I got them off the edge! Gotta taunt."
Sorry if I didn't clarify, I just find it annoying, I'm not saying never taunt.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I guess I can understand that, but I'm talking more about repetition after literally everything. Like "I got a spike! Didn't kill but I'll taunt." "Oh I got them off the edge! Gotta taunt."
Sorry if I didn't clarify, I just find it annoying, I'm not saying never taunt.
For Glory limits your taunting anyway. I only taunt if I'm initiating a set with a new opponent or if I grace-suicide to let them know everything's cool.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
As a wario main, it is my duty to ride my harley and spam the taunt button as I proceed to produce roadkill

G_Shaw22

Smash Rookie
NNID
G_Shaw22
3DS FC
0104-1470-8406
For me it depends on when the taunt happens. When it's as a game starts i always see it as a "mutual respect" thing, kind of like touching gloves before a fight. I usually do this as a match starts.
However when you get taunted after ko'd its something different... Then it can be a bit frustrating

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
Lmao...what guy does all 3 of his taunts after a kill...lol...and his longest taunt he does last...lol...and ow that thunder was nasty lol
He taunted at the beginning of the match too. Needless to say he rage quit after I beat him.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've actually heard some people taunt at the beginning as means of showing a friendly attitude, while still having the desire to fight. No clue how many people who taunt at the beginning of the match actually taunt for that reason, though....

Some people are just rude and nasty about taunting. But hey, at least taunt parties are super scarce now.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
if I taunt at the start of the match it's more of a greeting and sign of respect than "I'm gonna stomp you."

of course, often I'll get hit or grabbed during my taunt, which tells me it's time to go all out. people who hit during the greeting taunt are usually terrible players anyway from my experience. if you can't be respectful enough to wait till the taunt is over then I have no problems cheesing on you with disrepectful flashy nonsense through the rest of our set.

taunts during the middle of the match are free game though.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I only ever taunt out of respect. If I've gone back and forth with someone for awhile and something goofy happens (I somehow SD) I taunt as soon as I come back. Usually, if we've had enough good games with each other, the other person will do a mutual taunt. Then we just taunt at the start of a match and don't attack each other if the other is taunting. Ironic how it can be used as a way to respect your opponent.

...Unless it's some prick who thinks they're being cute with Mac or PK Fire and Thunder. Then I just let my salt flow whenever I punish them.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I taunt at the beginning of the match just to make assblasting the tryhards who run over and immediately attack so much tastier.

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hi,

I usually taunt at the beginning of the match. In With Friends, I have even a taunt "En garde!" that I use when I want to fight or just at the beginning of a battle.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's not really worth taunting at the start of a match because you may never know if you'll end up getting punished for it.

And I don't taunt at all after a kill, not even if it's something to remember for eternity. Of course, however, if the player I'm fighting against turns out to be an asshole, then I will show no mercy and taunt uncontrollably.

D

Deleted member

I main :4falcon:. Of course, it is my duty not to win, but to style. And when I do style with my Falcon Punches, Knees, Stomps, or Heels of Shame, I ask for moves to be shown. If I'm playing :4greninja:, sometimes I'll use the waterbox taunt against idiots to try and get a USmash, or I'll taunt after I start a Shadow Sneak to bait people.

Drevis2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drevistwo
3DS FC
4613-8582-9190
I agree mostly, I only taunt when something funny happens during a match, like if I land a falcon punch, I probably can't help myself. :p Of course when I'm with my friends I taunt whenever, though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I usually taunt at the beginning of a match when fighting a new player.
The only other time I taunt is when something awesome happens that both players involved agree was amazing. In which case we both taunt, like when a Captain Falcon tried to knee me offstage, and I countered with Double Team, killing us both. :awesome:

Kytos

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4957-5186-8258
The only reason I'll taunt is with Falcon and only in the beginning of a match. Not every match, mind you, but either that or when I encounter another Falcon Player.

Any other time I taunt is when they taunt first, or they pulled off a seriously flashy move.

When they do it in spite though, whether they KO me or not, I start the salt game with them and try to oberwhelm them to the point of them quitting. Lmao

I respect players who respect me. Any other instance, there's no need to taunt so consistently.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
I try to only taunt if I land something ridiculous, i.e. them running into a fully charged smash or pulling off a crazy string. Someone's always gonna get a kill/win the match, it's nothing to celebrate about.

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
Why set arbitrary rules for taunting? If I want to taunt somebody who's offstage but not dead, I'll do it. Especially if I can fire an extended Thoron immediately after taunting.

I usually end up punishing people who try to rush towards me for a taunt; Robin's Up-taunt is deceptively fast, and the moment anybody goes to punish my taunt, I can just retreat and jab and, more often than not, it'll hit them.

I don't taunt after kills unless I'm sandbagging, but if you don't like to see somebody taunting, either bait them into taunting for a punish, or just play well enough that they stop taunting altogether.

LyonelNoale

Smash Cadet
I think that, in consideration of For Glory, if someone attacks me during my opening taunt, then it's a sign that they're not very good; that they take this online fighting video game (note the word "game" here) too seriously... and that they're not that good.

My most fun matches have been ones that started with a dual taunt. Why? Because I find that amazing players know that it's just a game, and can improve because they understand the concept that it IS just a game. That means that they're not afraid to make risks, try big plays, and most importantly, have fun.

Smash is meant to be fun. Try not to make it into something it's not; taunting can be fun, if used correctly.

I don't care for sandbagging though. Although it is REALLY satisfying to get off that good ol' Wii Fit Trainer taunt once I destroy someone who makes a big deal out of me suiciding (damn Down B and Side B are so riskily close on the 3ds...), or a kill that isn't even that great (i.e. they're already in the 100's and finally managed to kill me).

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've started alot of matches with a mutual taunt out of respect. If I'm going against a new opponent and they taunt then i very well may hit them. But I let them get a hit on me too before I get serious. If i grabbed them i simply let go, back up, and taunt back.

Unless someone is being a you-know-what, I taunt out of respect or admiration. I even taunt during my invincibility if my opponent just outclassed me.

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
On For Glory, I rarely taunt, but when I do, it's to return the favor or to coax my opponent into trying harder if they're playing campy/douchey. It tends to work. They're called taunts for a reason. Though mostly, I'll save my taunts for that brief moment when I thought I had a KO but my opponent somehow survived. I like to think myself as the bad guy when I taunt; it makes things fun for me.

As for playing with friends, taunting is just another way to have fun considering the messages you can have. I won't hesitate to use my "Burn, baby" taunt after getting any kind of KO, cause why not when using Charizard?

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Hooray for mutual taunts! Didn't know people could be so polite with them.
Thanks for the insights guys!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I use taunts in the beginning of matches with new combatants. Which is very stupid as a Zelda/Peach user since they easily get 0-30+ from grab combos. It's not a srs game tho, so who cares? I sometimes hold down as Zelda if someone is on their way to KO land. USmash/DSmash/Turnip pluck as Peach.

I also taunt when I kill campers, sorry, I mean "zoners." Mostly because if Zelda kills a keep away artist, she deserves ALL of the taunting time ever. It makes zoners sometimes mad, but that's OK. You shouldn't be playing keep away the entire time anyway. Like, not even if you play Samus or Link. For reals tho.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I changed my mind a bit about taunting after yesterday. Unless you just won, do not taunt if you want to rub your stock in the other player's face... Leave it to the end! I played a pretty good Falco who beat the living thing out of me with a D-Air to B-Air edgeguarding combo. As I died, he taunted in my face "Get Some!". I grabbed him in the middle of his taunt, and won the game later. Get some, I guess? Taunting from a kill it's nice, but the problem it's when it's used to show superiority!
I have nothing against taunting (I love doing it!!! Mainly if I did something cool. I also taunt if my opponent kills me in style), but it's better to use it as a compliment and as comemoration! And, taunting at the start is not bad; it shows your opponent has respect for you and wants to have a good fight! Just because you find that to be rude it does not mean we do it in a rude way!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Psssh, screw that, I'll taunt whenever I please. The other day I was playing against an old friend, and actually used a taunt mid combo to catch him off guard. Sometimes when playing online I'll use up all 3 taunts while the enemy is re-spawning, or better yet, while they're off stage I'll just taunt (even if they aren't dead) for the sake of aggravation. I don't generally taunt at the beginning of match, but I do respect the players who do. Honestly, as a Falcon player, taunting is almost a form of communication rather than disrespect. Like if someone combos the crap out of me or gets a really slick kill, when I respawn I'll go with the classic "show me ya moves!"as a form of respect. But I like the idea of the way people use taunts because they can be used to irritate your opponent...I don't know about you guys, but I personally love doing that.

Bottom line is, if you don't like taunting, you don't have to. But you don't need to make a thread telling us your rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
I find it really sad that taunts are considered mean even if the taunt itself is not mean at all. They're like the only communication we have with other FG players.

I usually taunt to say ''hello'' or ''I'm proud of that kill'' or ''nice one!''. I never taunt with ill intentions instead if the opponent spams a taunt every time I'm offstage.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I literally taunt whenever I feel like it, sometimes it is to say ''NICE ONE'' sometimes it is to aggravate my opponent like a douchebag. Sometimes I do it after a pretty great kill, others I do it after everykill and I hope the other person feels extremely angry at it. The douchy ones are usually on for glory only though, because the lack of player interaction makes everything feel so cold that I lose the need to be a ''respectable'' player.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I find it really sad that taunts are considered mean even if the taunt itself is not mean at all. They're like the only communication we have with other FG players.

I usually taunt to say ''hello'' or ''I'm proud of that kill'' or ''nice one!''. I never taunt with ill intentions instead if the opponent spams a taunt every time I'm offstage.
Despite what you read here, most people know what taunts are and don't see them as bad. Competitive players might, which begs the question as to why they're on FG and not fighting other competitive players. . . Anyway, it all depends on when you do the taunts.

EX of good taunt times:
1) At the beginning of a match.
2) After being killed skillfully/just after being killed.
3) After killing someone with a really skillful move.
4) After catching them when they were severely camping/rolling like 70%+ of Link/Samus/Tink/ZSS/Falco/Mario/Dr. Mario/etc players do. (they are clearly casuals or Brawl fans, so they'll see the taunt as fun/not mean anyway).

If people constantly try to attack you during your taunts, feel free to taunt whenever. Who cares if they see it as mean? It shouldn't take a genius to realize taunting is not an accident or a time to punish someone. So they're just intentionally unfun fighters who are trying to capitalize on unskillful combo making.

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
If people constantly try to attack you during your taunts, feel free to taunt whenever. Who cares if they see it as mean? It shouldn't take a genius to realize taunting is not an accident or a time to punish someone. So they're just intentionally unfun fighters who are trying to capitalize on unskillful combo making.
I completely agree buddy.

Top Bottom