• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting before a match: y/n?

Taunting at the beginning of a match:

• Total voters

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
Right when a match starts, I've gotten into the habit of taunting. I see it as like bowing, you know? "lets have a good match, good luck!" type of deal.

When I get punished for taunting it seems like a real low blow, but then again that's the risk one takes.
I find the whole unspoken rules of when to and when not to taunt to be pretty interesting. Thoughts?

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Honestly it seems rather just rude to hit someone during taunting. Having good sportsmanship is a good quality to have.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I stand and wait to see if my opponent taunts. I'll reciprocate if they do.

Attacking me during this time leads to me thrashing my opponent more often than not and leaving after one game. I'll not stand for that kind of poor sportsmanship.

Taunting in the middle of the game depends on context. If the taunt is for something funny that occurs, I'll taunt back or jump on their head to act silly. If they're just showing off and made the mistake of using an overly-lengthy taunt, however, I'll punish.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'll only Taunt at the start of the match if my opponent does it first, otherwise I don't bother with it.

Not everyone is accustomed to or knows this "Unspoken Rule". I know I had no idea about it when I began For Glory, and sort of took it as them trying to be cocky. It wasn't until later on I adjusted to the behavior and eventually learned it's just people being good sports.

I honestly just try to follow my own Golden Rule with Taunts in general: "You Taunt, I Taunt".

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'll only do it if my opponent does it first. Otherwise, I'm not gonna bother doing it first thing myself.
Same goes when I scored a KO and my opponent taunts after respawing.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I always hit them out of taunts. You're risking yourself at by taunting at the start? Good, I can get a free combo off of that. I treat FG like real competitive Smash anyway. (^w^)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I would be respectful about them, but by instinct I always run up and attack them before realizing that I hit them off of a taunt and I'm like "Oh wow I shouldnt've done that."

It is for this reason too that I never attempt this.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
One time I was in a match where my opponent pressed shield a few times at the start (after a taunt, I didn't move), and we just stood there, shielding like there was no tomorrow for a good while.

If someone taunts at the start, I'd just say let them have their fun. That's what Smash is about, after all.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman
One time I was in a match where my opponent pressed shield a few times at the start (after a taunt, I didn't move), and we just stood there, shielding like there was no tomorrow for a good while.

If someone taunts at the start, I'd just say let them have their fun. That's what Smash is about, after all.
I play to win. So I hit people out of their taunts. Although I'm probably not totally win-obsessed as most of the peeps you run into on FG :p

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I play to win. So I hit people out of their taunts. Although I'm probably not totally win-obsessed as most of the peeps you run into on FG :p
You're not playing for the right reason, then. Play to learn, not to win.

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
>I play to win
>not win obsessed
Okay, buddy

jcx

Smash Journeyman
>I play to win
>not win obsessed
Okay, buddy
I guess I need to express my thoughts better and without juxtapositions. It's hard to do when you're on the spectrum :p
You're not playing for the right reason, then. Play to learn, not to win.
My biggest dream is to be a professional player. I was just saying that to show my competitiveness (and steal quotes from aMSa). Of course, I wouldm't have been able to come closer to my goal if I didn't take the opportunity to learn about and address my flaws.

Every time someone remarks about this, part of me feels like they're demotivating me, even though another part of me clearly knows they're not.

That's enough ranting and sidetracking from the topic at hand on my part.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
If they taunt first then I'll taunt back.

Unless they're using a character I don't like.
Thats when I take the free combo.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Typically if they taunt first I'll taunt back as well. In a sense it's sort of like a "handshake/fist bump" before a match and it's just a small reminder that at the end of the day we play games for fun.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
Typically if they taunt first I'll taunt back as well. In a sense it's sort of like a "handshake/fist bump" before a match and it's just a small reminder that at the end of the day we play games for fun.
I don't play for fun lol

But I know how bad salt can be ;)

Reiwai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkchibiterasu
My general rule with pre-match taunting is this: If you're playing a ditto, then taunt to acknowledge their good choice in character. If it's not, don't taunt unless the other person does. If you hit them while friendly taunting by accident, let them hit you once. It's stupid, but I tend to want to be more polite than the average For Glory player.

lemonfreshness

Smash Rookie
I only ever taunt after getting a KO. Ness's "OK!" is fun for that. If I'm against someone who taunts at the start, I just let them do that and then start the battle.

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
If you taunt at the start imma take advantage of the opportunity and start racking up damage.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
From the numerous assholes that seem to plague FG, I've learned to gladly accept a friendly opening taunt. It usually means the opponent is willing to be a good sport and have a good time rather than try to ruin my day. After the beginning of the match, though, I won't hesitate to hit you out of your taunt. And I'll only taunt you if you taunt me first...

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If my opponent taunts at the beginning then I'll taunt back, if it's convenient. Half of the time I'm already mid sprint so I'll just jump back and wait for the taunt to end, sometimes I'll taunt if I see the opponent still standing near the edge sort of waiting. There are some opponents when I know when to expect a taunt at the beginning, I get it a lot with FE characters.

Then there's the characters where I don't return a taunt. I've faced Captain Falcons that taunt and then immediately take off like a bullet, leaving you no time to return the taunt or when I do, I get attacked in the middle of it. I also don't return taunts to characters with projectiles cause obvs. Though the image of someone taunting and then racing immediately across the stage to attack me when I return it makes me sort of grin more than anything. Unless you can 0 to death me, I don't think there's much to worry about.

Xen()bite

Smash Rookie
I think it depends on context. It's ok to taunt at the match beginning, but making it after the first stock pisses me off (except moments where something funny happened).
Yersterday fought agressive :4littlemac:with my:4lucina:, which isn't even in my main list, perfomed very bad untill 1st stock losing and his long taunt. I don't know what demon got inside me, but i easily ate him.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
In competitive play taunting is useless, if people wanna taunt at the start I let them and continue on. people are smart when they config their taunt buttons to do actual useful things, seen a guy at my local fixing up his controls and he completely took out taunting for specials. and certain attacks.

Taunting is probably only useful when joining friend rooms, then you can put messages like "Hold up" "brb" and some funny ones.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
Always. If I get hit, I get hit. The only thing that slightly grinds my gears is when they taunt if they take the first stock after they interrupt your taunt. If you can't take a second to hit a button at the beginning, then doing it after you've shown off is irritating. It doesn't matter, which is why I still play FG, but I can't help but smirk when it happens.

Last edited:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I'll only taunt if my opponent does it first. Otherwise I won't bother with it.

Top Bottom