• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Taunt Messages are stupid. I like the idea of Taunt Messges a lot, but what ruins it is execution. We get like 10 messages to compliment your opponent but nothing to criticise them. I know that people like echo chambers and circle jerking nowadays, hence why websites like Facebook and Smashboards give an option to like posts but not the corresponding option to dislike them. But communication is meaningless if you can only say the same thing. What does it mean if you say "Cool" instead of "Good? What does it mean to say "Good job!" instead of "Well played."? Nothing.

IMO they should let people type their own taunt messages and say what they really think. I am not scared to step out of the safe space! Although I may a bit biased since I play
salt-powered-r.o.b.png
which admittedly is a good character to use online.

The only consolation is that I can still congratulate people after they lost, which is nice.

Boredatwork

Smash Rookie
Taunt messages do the job at congratulating your opponent should you feel that a game was especially well played, that's satisfying enough for me tbh.

When I want to trash talk, I find lobbies with attached message boards, like here. You could probably find a Discord for it too.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Taunt messages should do the job at telling your opponent should you think that a game was especially badly played, that would be satisfying enough for me tbh.

When I want to suck up, I find lobbies with attached message boards, like here. You could probably find a Discord for it too.

Last edited:

Boredatwork

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure that comparaison is fair, my dude. One is trashtalking, the other is good sportsmanship.

One is usually prioritized over the other when creating a healthy online community.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It is a fair comparison because you can do both positive and negative feedback equally well on message boards and Discord. So if they are a suitable replacement for negative feedback then they are a suitable replacement for positive feedback as well. But of course we both know it is neither and I doubt that you are going on a quest to find your opponent there when you want to provide or possibly get negative feedback from your Elite Smash opponent. It was just a bad argument when you said it and equally bad when I turned it against you.

I think that your latter post better explains your view. It also shows that we have different preferences and will likely not agree.

To me messages with only positive feedback is like a bit with one state missing. While it may be true that now I get only positive feedback, it is also true that it is meaningless because all the negative feedback has been filtered out so I really do not know how people think about playing against me in general. I am curious how people like playing against me. If there is a message system then I would prefer to get actual information out of it, but right now the message system is only suitable to provide a hugs chamber.

The options that I want would still provide opportunity for good sportsmanship of course. Since only negative messages would suffer from the same flaw of meaninglessness. The difference would be that it is up to the player to be a good sportsman instead of having it forced upon him by Nintendo.

Basically this is blue pill vs red pill. Whether you want a pleasant lie where no one has ever any critique on you or a hard truth where people can either like or dislike how you play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom