• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Target Test: Neutral-B Challenge!

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I'm sure we've all heard of the Falcon Punch Challenge done in SSB64 as well as Melee (trying to hit all of the targets in Captain Falcon's target test with just the Falcon Punch). Well, today I was thinking: Why not try doing this with ALL characters' neutral-b? I tried it out today with everyone's, and here are the results I came up with (some characters need to use a different attack since their neutral-b doesn't attack, ex. Peach).

Dr. Mario: All targets except the top-right.
Mario: All targets.
Luigi: All targets.
Bowser: All targets.
Peach: If using Peach Bomber instead, I can get all except the the one highest up, directly in the middle, although I believe it can be done if you can wallclimb with the bomber).
Yoshi: With over-b, all except the top-right target.
DK: All targets.
Captain Falcon: All targets.
Ganondorf: What the heck? I don't even have a substitute move for this guy to use. Someone try to come up with something for him.
Falco: All targets.
Fox: All targets.
Ness:
Ice Climbers: All targets.
Kirby: With over-b, all targets.
Samus: All targets.
Zelda: All targets.
Sheik: All targets.
Link: All targets.
Young Link:
Pichu: All targets.
Pikachu: All targets
Mewtwo: All targets.
Game and Watch: All targets.
Marth: All targets.
Roy: All targets.

This is what I have so far. The two left blank, Ness and Young Link, are ones that I couldn't do and didn't know what substitute to use. I think PK Fire might work for Ness, and I'd rather not use the boomerang for Young Link. That's just like doing his target test normally...

Anyway, suggest ideas and start posting your record for each of these. I don't have any 'records' yet, since I wasn't doing mine for time just yet. Just seeing if it was possible. And see if you can finish some of the ones I wasn't able to do.

Also, if you have any questions as to how I got a certain target, let me know.

Mingin

Smash Cadet
God, I'm so determined to do Doc's. I'm trying right now

Edit: Well, I don't think you can do it. You would think it might be possible with the tornado, but I can't pull it off

Mingin

Smash Cadet
Yea, you might be able to, but I doubt it. I'm not very consistent at getting the highest height with the tornado, so maybe you might be able to do it, but I still don't think it's possible because of how far you drop after the tornado is done.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Nothing necessarily wrong with the Warlock Punch, it's just his stage...it'd be near, if not entirely impossible to get some of the targets. All of the walls are covered in spikes, and even to get the targets you can hit, you'd need ridiculous timing. As in you'd need to memorize the erratic flight patterns of all of the targets and be able to time a Warlock Punch for each of them. I'm so not even going to try that (Well, I did try it and gave up within about 15 seconds).

Edit: When and if I get a Gamebridge (if I'm getting one it might be soon) I'll record what I've done so far. Not speedruns or anything, just demonstrations of how I got each of the targets, showing you that it's possible.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Nah, not really. I'm actually really short on time. I just happened to have a good deal of time on my hand at that particular moment. And it didn't really take me long at all. If you think creatively, the targets aren't hard to get.

Oh, and you can definitely get Doc's top-right target with the Tornado, but the bottom-left one I'm convinced is impossible with it :(

You could always try the cape? o_x;;

FTWin

Smash Cadet
once I get my melee disk back, i'll attempt the ganon one. sounds like a fun challenge.
I play better when i've got an objective, so it won't take THAT long. Once I get it timed, I can put a vid possibly. if I did though, the quality would be craaap

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Nothing necessarily wrong with the Warlock Punch, it's just his stage...it'd be near, if not entirely impossible to get some of the targets. All of the walls are covered in spikes, and even to get the targets you can hit, you'd need ridiculous timing. As in you'd need to memorize the erratic flight patterns of all of the targets and be able to time a Warlock Punch for each of them. I'm so not even going to try that (Well, I did try it and gave up within about 15 seconds).
Ah, bummer. :/

Well, I did have an idea for YL you might be interested in: Bombs. It's a little bit different, since Bombs don't have particularly good range. On the other hand, iirc there's one target that can ONLY be hit with arrows, which sort of screws up this challenge if there are some that you can't get with those.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
What about the ones you can only get with the boomerang? The ones between logs, that is (or maybe that's only one...)

Mingin

Smash Cadet
Oh, and you can definitely get Doc's top-right target with the Tornado, but the bottom-left one I'm convinced is impossible with it :(
Ah, I was saying like, use the tornado to get a pill out to hit it, but I don't think it's possible, but yea, maybe you can get everything with just the tornado?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I still don't know if it'll reach the one hedged in by logs. That and there's the one you can only reach with an arrow or with that crazy boomerang technique.

Eaode

Smash Champion
the one inside the little hole in the log? I'm not 100% sure but I THINK there's a way to get YLink's whole body in there, you have to fit it just right.

As long as that works you should be able to do Up-B for all of them.

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
young link can only get the one enclosed in logs with boomerang, period. so rang is the only option.

doc you can get everything with down b and neutral b, apparently.

ganon im not sure is possible because he just cant get high enough to fall and still punch the higher targets

isnt this exactly the same as most screwed up stadium records?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Wait, do you mean you can get all of the targets with Doc if you use them both individually? Or in the same run?

And I don't know what you mean about the screwed up stadium records. I'm not familiar with them.

Mingin

Smash Cadet
You can't get them all with the neutral b, i've tried a bunch of times, and I don't think the top right one is possible, but someone could prove me wrong. I'm 90% certain it's impossible. However, you can do the whole thing with the tornado, I tried it yesterday. Took about 15 tries just because of the timing for some of them, but it is possible

Mingin

Smash Cadet
I went all the way to the top, jumped off, when I got to it I did the tornado, then I used the second jump and then the up b to get back on the edge where you first start

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
basically screwed up stadium is doing target tests with specific goals (suiciding off different sides, no b move, completing the test with one move only etc).

according to allisbrawls thread of SuS world records "N_B: 19.73 - PWOPLW" so PWOPLW did all pills in 19.73 seconds... i havent worked out how to get the top target personally, but i havent really tried. the tornado is fairly easy to do, the record is 26 or 27 seconds i think.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Hey man, I had kind of an interesting idea. If Ganon's neutral B isn't an option because of the timing, would you consider...

...HIS NEUTRAL A!?!

I mean, they're both magically infused punches, after a fashion.

Top Bottom