• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Target SMASH!! or Blast? The Target mode in Smash!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
TARGET SOMETHING!!

every Smash Bros game has had a target based mode.

Smash 64 and Melee gave us character specific stages

Brawl gave us difficulty specific stages

Smash 3DS replaced this with an Angry Birds styled mode called Target Blast while having small target challenges in Smash Run

Smash Wii U didn't have Smash Run but expanded upon Target Blast with two extra modes.

Now I ask, what do you want Smash for Switch.

Now I think I speak for most people when I say, a Melee/64 styled version would be ideal, but some say that the roster has grown too large for this to be feasible.

But I counter argue, how long would it take to make one of those? They all had the generic backgrounds in those games and the could be use assets from other parts of the game to speed it up. They could even base it on the stage builder mode.

In fact, they could potentially let us create our own Target Smash levels and share them online, flesh it out to incorporate lots of options and I think we have a pretty solid mode.​

Last edited:

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
An idea I've had since Brawl was series-specific Break the Targets. It's a nice compromise that gives a good variety of levels without having to contend with how big the roster has become (and will become). However, ol' Sakky is a known workaholic, so maybe the mad man will actually bring back completely unique levels on a per-character basis again.

I also like your user generated level idea. Targets can simply be an asset in Stage Builder, which I'm assuming will return.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I think Stage Builder Break The Targets would be nice. I really just want character-specific again and not just some Angry Birds-sequels “Target Smash” mini-game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Target Blast was pretty lame, not going to lie. It felt like an awkward in-between of the skill and dexterity-based break the targets and the display of raw power that is home-run contest.

Ideally would of course be the idea of each character getting a unique stage, but that is a lot of work for a roster north of 50. I also enjoy the idea of series specific Break the Targets, as mentioned above. Perhaps they start off with a set of generic target smashes (ala Brawl) and released character-specific stages post launch? That way it doesn't take too much time to implement in the main game, while giving the player stuff to do after the game's launch?

Morbi

Scavenger
An idea I've had since Brawl was series-specific Break the Targets. It's a nice compromise that gives a good variety of levels without having to contend with how big the roster has become (and will become). However, ol' Sakky is a known workaholic, so maybe the mad man will actually bring back completely unique levels on a per-character basis again.

I also like your user generated level idea. Targets can simply be an asset in Stage Builder, which I'm assuming will return.
That seems like the most ideal compromise. We still have some unique elements without ALL of the effort that would go forth for a potential sixty plus roster.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Target Smash doesn't have to take up a lot of dev time. I don't think anyone would mind if it had a "beta test room" look to it.
I mean, these are just rooms designed to get players used to their character's physics and limits. The devs probably end up making Target Smash rooms for each character anyway, to test the characters out and refine their properties.

I really did think that Brawl's Target Smash was pretty genius. Incorporating items into it and just letting players discover the fastest route was really fun for filling my speedrunner craving.
Unfortunately, this kind of Target Smash mode didn't really appeal to fighting game players, who were looking for a kind of movement tutorial. If anything, Target Smash should be incorporated in the training mode.

I'd really like for Target Smash to go back to the way it was, a small level with platforms placed requiring you to master your character's jumps and recovery moves, and targets placed in positions where only your special moves can reach.

I wouldn't mind if more Target Smash maps like in Brawl were added, incorporating items and other wacky gimmicks. But only if the individual Target Smash maps are created first.

HOWEVER, a minor annoyance with creating individual Target Smash maps is that if a character gets patched, the map may have to be redesigned to compensate for any character changes.
I presume this is why they most likely took them out of Smash4 alltogether.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering how big the roster is getting, I can pretty much understand why Target Blast exists now, as it reduces how much development time is required.

GoldTrainRider

Smash Cadet
A target-test mode like 64 and melee (that is character specific) Would be awesome! They could really do a lot.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I would love a character-specific version. the Brawl target-smashes were okay, but it got boring seeing the same one for every single character.

Target blast, on the other hand, was meh. If I wanted to play Angry Birds, I'd do that.

Khao

Smash Lord
If Target Blast returns I'm seriosuly probably never playing it again. Not even out of spite, I'm just that uninterested by it. By far my least favorite minigame in Smash history.

I'd love to see character specific Target Tests return, they never got old, and it was a lot of fun clearing every character's test. If they use a small set of generic assets and objects for every character it really shouldn't be that much work relatively speaking. They just have to decide if it's worth the effort.

And I really hope they do. I thought Brawl's 5-level tests were kinda boring, I think most of the appeal of Melee/N64 Target test was the fact that they fully made use of every character's unique mechanics. When you have generic levels that can be cleared by anyone ultimately you can't really do anything interesting, because you have to make sure even the least mobile characters can clear it.

Either way, I love the idea of custom target tests you can share online, especially if there's an online record. If we get that, I probably won't even miss character-specific tests.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Personally am hoping we'd get Target Smash akin to Melee with unique stages for each champ. However, the increasing size of the roster is something to consider as well, so I wouldn't mind settling on something similar to Brawl's version of the mode. Making the mode more interactive and platform reliant compared to the newest version of the mode.

I never really did enjoy Target Blast. Wasn't too big of a fan of Home-run Contest even in the past, so that might contribute to this.

Top Bottom