• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jumping vs. Button Jumping

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I have used Tap Jumping (tapping the control stick up to jump) for a few years inbetween multiple Smash games. I'm thinking about ditching it for Button Jumping, as I hear that it's more efficient than Tap Jumping. However, I keep tapping the control stick up when I need to jump and it usually ends up killing me. Is there any way I can get rid of this bad habit?

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
If you wanted to, you could change the controls (go to the vault) and disable tap jump. Button jumping is definitely the more competitive option, since it's usually faster and you can, say, do a short hop and a fast fall with ease.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The only way to get out of a habit like that is to keep playing with the control setup you have now.

Once you get used to a certain control setup it's always easy to confuse yourself once you change it, so the only thing you can do is keep trying till it becomes the new habit. It would be like if I changed the R button to jump instead of shield. Chances are I'm gonna screw up trying to use it for shielding when I changed it to jump because it's the "norm" that I've gotten used to. It takes time to adjust.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I switched to button a long time ago. Had trouble with U tilts.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Remember that if you disable tap jump it gets much harder to up-B and up-smash out of shield. Instead of just pressing up + B, you'll have to jump + up + B. Same with smash. Perhaps it would be best to keep tap jump on and just try to use the buttons more instead?

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
Honestly, it depends on what characters you use. Certain characters benefit from having Tap Jump on/off and vice versa.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Honestly, it depends on what characters you use. Certain characters benefit from having Tap Jump on/off and vice versa.
Well, I use King Dedede, and Kirby and MK are secondaries. What do you reccomend?

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
I think being able to up-B out of shield easily is very useful for Meta Knight, so I'd run with tap jump on.

With someone like Yoshi or Ness you don't benefit that much from up-B out of shield, so I'd run tap jump off for them (if I bothered to change for every character).

cornandbeans

Smash Cadet
Button jumping by far. Having played Melee for years, tap jumping feels sluggish and uncomfortable now.

Nah

Smash Champion
Doing upBs and Usmashes OoS is not hard at all with button jump so there's no real reason to use tap jump. You get a bit of extra aerial control anyway since you don't have to move the stick from the up position to other directions, you can just jump with the button and immediately get moving in the direction you want.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
I use button jumps for most things, but then double sticking for stuff like SH fairs with Marth, or auto cancelled uairs with Fox.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I just keep Tap Jump on for familiarity's sake, and switch between using the stick and the buttons as my current needs dictate. The main disadvantage here is that while I can do Utilts without jumping just fine, it seems to be much more difficult to use an Up Special without simultaneously burning an air jump, perhaps because I need to be moving towards the stage at the same time, which can be deadly when I play a character with linear recovery like Ike. Are there any tricks to prevent wasting air jump?

Last edited:

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
I just keep Tap Jump on for familiarity's sake, and switch between using the stick and the buttons as my current needs dictate. The main disadvantage here is that while I can do Utilts without jumping just fine, it seems to be much more difficult to use an Up Special without simultaneously burning an air jump, perhaps because I need to be moving towards the stage at the same time, which can be deadly when I play a character with linear recovery like Ike. Are there any tricks to prevent wasting air jump?
C stick. You also get to control your momentum in air since your analog stick is free.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
C-stick's already occupied by tilt stick. Having free aerial momentum for aerial attacks is key for a lot of the characters I like to play.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
It depends on what you are use to. They both offer some advantages over the other and how your play style is.

RedMoon2546

Smash Cadet
NNID
omi
C-stick's already occupied by tilt stick. Having free aerial momentum for aerial attacks is key for a lot of the characters I like to play.
Tilt stick lets you use aerials and you actually keep your aerial momentum better.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I use Tap Jump and never run into any problems. If I try to use button jumping I just seem to misuse my jump. Just stick to whatever you're comfortable with and the rest will work itself out.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
In terms of breaking the habit: you really just need to keep repeating it. It took me awhile to get the hang of tilt stick, but it's completely automatic now and I NEVER try and use the c stick for a smash attack. You also don't need to give up tap jump. It does offer some benefits, such as easier out of shield options and a more efficient buffered uair.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I keep Tap Jump on for easier OoS options and double-stick buffering.
In terms of breaking the habit: you really just need to keep repeating it. It took me awhile to get the hang of tilt stick, but it's completely automatic now and I NEVER try and use the c stick for a smash attack. You also don't need to give up tap jump. It does offer some benefits, such as easier out of shield options and a more efficient buffered uair.
I switched to tilt stick myself and went through the same situation as you! (^w^)

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I want to say button jumping is better, because oftentimes, I'll try and do :4tlink:'s spin attack on the ground, and I end up in the air, and I lose. I need to turn tap jump off.

I'veChosenMyFate!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4512-6203
With meta knight, I use tap jumps because up-b out of shield is pretty important. I use tap jump on so that I don't have to constantly rotate my right thumb to the x button. I find it more comfortable.

Top Bottom