• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump vs Button for Melee?

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to know peoples opinion on Tap Jump Use on Melee. I use the X-Button, but I wanted to know what other people like to use and why.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
BTW If you use Tap jump, do you use it to wavedash? Is that even possible? (Excuse my Noob questions)
:GCX::GCDR::GCCL::GCY::jigglypuffmelee:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Tap jump is terrible, a bad option almost always, unless Puff lol. Yes you can use it to wavedash but it's bad.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I use Y-Button to jump i dont know because the R-Button and Y are close to each other for me its easy to Wavedash that way.
Tap jump are good for C.falcon he has the fastest jump in the game or fox im not sure lol.

Last edited:
Tap jump helps make Falco's pillar easier. That's the only time I ever intentionally use it. I use X for all other jumps. Most players prefer X or Y

yttik

i use tap jump for fox and kirby lasers

but it's pretty much just a worse option, don't use it as a default way to jump, just see it as another option to perform tech you couldn't do otherwise with X or Y

Last edited:

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
The people that I have seen that tap jump use x/y for wavedashing. I would never recommend being a tap jumper but there are ways people are able to use tap jump decently well. Tap jump can also be helpful in getting aerials out quicker, specifically out of a double jump since there is no jumpsquat, but you lose some aerial mobility in doing so.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
It mostly depends on the character but I use tap jump normally. It makes aerial movement just feel more correct and it's pretty alright for floaty characters.
I use X to wavedash and I use both tap then X to DJC (although this probably isn't something most people use).
I use both to SHFFL, depends on what move I'm throwing out.

Last edited:

zaiman12345

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theawesome4567
because if you don't want to do air attacks with the C-Stick, you can tap jump and attack while tap jumping.

Last edited:

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
I use tap jump for a few things, mostly JC Up-smash, shines as falco, shinespikes as fox, and shine turnaround firestall for both. I use X for wavedashing, and I use Y for everything else

Last edited:

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
BTW If you use Tap jump, do you use it to wavedash? Is that even possible? (Excuse my Noob questions)
:GCX::GCDR::GCCL::GCY::jigglypuffmelee:
I'm using tap jump for everything. Wavedash, short-hop etc. Everyone is saying that buttons are better, which is probably true, but I've been using this for years and I'm too lazy to change and adapt to new buttons.

I have absolutely no problem using tap jump. I can short hop, wavedash or even waveshine consistently. And I'm a Fox/Falco main.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I'm using tap jump for everything. Wavedash, short-hop etc. Everyone is saying that buttons are better, which is probably true, but I've been using this for years and I'm too lazy to change and adapt to new buttons.

I have absolutely no problem using tap jump. I can short hop, wavedash or even waveshine consistently. And I'm a Fox/Falco main.
I used tap jump for a while but when I forcer my self to turn it off it helped me a whole lot after I got used to it (it took about a week)

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I will say you should try to jump with X or Y in general. Using up on the control stick to jump could lead to you DI-ing something poorly if you get hit when you don’t expect it.I would recommend using the c-stick to do your aerial attacks, as it allows you for more control over your character. You don’t have to let go of the direction you are jumping in to perform an aerial. For example - if you are running and jump forward, you can press back on the c-stick and continue to hold forward on the analog stick. In order to do this without the c-stick, you have to use very quick and precise analog stick movement.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/

I used tap jump for a while but when I forcer my self to turn it off it helped me a whole lot after I got used to it (it took about a week)
Never even thought about that. Yeah, if you play Brawl/PM/Smash 4 or have the 20XX hack pack just turn tap jump off and force yourself to learn with X/Y. But also remember to practice with tap jump ON so you can practice out-of-shield options, jump cancelled usmash/grab, and uptilting without jumping.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Hehe. I use Y to jump, but I'm a FalcoPuff, so I'm trying to learn to incorporate more tap jump into my play. Anyone wanna switch hands with me?

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
X to jump, y to double shine. I only use tap jump if I'm doing some shine turnaround shenanigans in midair like back air or ledge grab.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
I'll tap jump for some things, but for the most part I use x. I found short hopping impossible with tap, but honestly I don't think it makes a difference, just whatever works for you.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom