• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump Problems

-Maddox-

Smash Cadet
So I started playing competitive smash with brawl and for years I have played with tap jump off. This is obviously an issue with yoshi because not having tap jump makes DJCing much more difficult, as well as DJ landing. Keep in mind I still DJC all the time but I don't do it rapidly to extend combos in an amsa-like fashion and such as. In situations where I could get 3 up-airs I'll get 1.

I can't explain how difficult it is for me to play with tap jump on, I literally become 10 times worse when I'm using it.

My question for you guys is whether or not you think it's feasible to be proficient with DJCs without tap jump, and if you have any tricks to potentially navigate the problem.

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
With enough practice it is definitely possible. You just have to keep trying and your inputs will get faster and faster.

A random thing I noticed about how I do fast double jumps with just Y is that for the first jump my thumb will be relatively straight, then after I bounce my thumb off the button I will bend the joint closest to the end of my thumb so I am effectively using two different joints for two different inputs on the same buttons. I have no idea if this would work for you but it may help. Just focus on how your thumb rebounds from pressing the button so you don't work too hard by making excessive motions, and keep on practising.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
I've found it to be plenty possible. I'm able to do pretty quick aerials right off the ground one after another just by double tapping Y. You just kinda need to get used to it.
I hate tap jump too, I feel you in every way. Just practice and it'll work out fine.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I can do fast DJC aerials consistently with tap jump off and only one jump button (x). I can do DJL and DJL OoS with about 50% consistency this way. It's viable and gives you better control over the control stick for more precise inputs such as DJC turn around nair.

-Maddox-

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna keep tap jump off and just get in the lab hard.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
lurking hardcore but you can also just roll your thumb over y and x to get double jumps. That's how I missile cancel on Battlefield with Samus, as using tap jump to do it would make getting a homing missile out extremely difficult. So yeah, roll over both buttons (or map it to an unused trigger?) and just control stick + a aerials.

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
I'll always be an advocate of removing the spring in your L-trigger and making that button your second jump button. It frees up your right thumb to focus on getting your attack out, and it makes performing a DJL the same as performing a wavedash, just with a different trigger. As always, use what's comfortable for you, but just know this is an option.

Feral Cadence

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7377-5328
I always use the Y button for DJC aerials. I do, however, need to have tap jump on for things like DJL and ECE. All I need to do now is get used to inputting aerials with the c stick when single jumping. I waste my double jump too often, and not just with Yoshi.

Top Bottom