• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump or not?

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
I have my c stick set to tilts to make my time easier with tap jump on. I use x and y for sh lemons and sh uair. I know it's not possible to do a upward boost blade with u c stick set to tilts, but can u do a foward boost blade with your c stick set to tilts? I'm really used to tap jump.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Depends on your preference, if you lke tap jump, keep it on. Personally, I've turned Tap Jump off and never looked back after they've introduced the option in Brawl.

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Yeah, I'm a bumper jumper, only problem is that non stock controls don't transfer over well to melee, which is really unfortunate.

Overall though, I don't really regret my custom control scheme, just makes switching between games a little frustrating.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I like pressing a button to make Mega Man jump. That's the way I've always done it on the NES!

Megamang

Smash Lord
I personally have it off for mega man, when it was on i found myself wasting my double jump when trying to use rush offstage. After causing my early death a few times, i switched it off and never had a problem.

Also, boost blade? I can super glide toss upwards with my current controls, but never forward. Is boost blade something else?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I personally have it on even though I've found myself using the X or Y buttons to jump, though mostly for short hops.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
I personally have it off for mega man, when it was on i found myself wasting my double jump when trying to use rush offstage. After causing my early death a few times, i switched it off and never had a problem.

Also, boost blade? I can super glide toss upwards with my current controls, but never forward. Is boost blade something else?
Yeah, I have the double jump problem too. And boost blade is amother name for DICIT (or w/e) or SGT. And apparently, you need c stick set to smash to do it. But the foward item cancel toss doesn't use it.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
You don't need your c-stick on smash just to boost blade. If on Tilts, just keep AB Smash and you should be able to preform it but in a different method.

I'd encourage the use of tap jump if you were going to be in smash stick and are already used to tilting up on your control stick appropriately. It helps you buffer up airs from a jump squat if you double stick, but your best case scenario is simply just stick to Tap jump off, AB Smash on, Attack stick which is the better alternative for easy short hop aerials.

However, if you can't get used to it, choose what you feel most comfortable with, but just keep AB Smash on especially if you're looking to do the "boost blade".

Here's a quick video that better explains how to do it using the AB Smash inputs:

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump on because when used to it it offers no downsides only upsides. Faster up airs, faster and easier Up smash OOS and faster and smoother rar Bairs.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Turn off tap jump, learn to use L or R or Z for shielding. All the benefits of tap jump with none of the downsides, like accidentally jumping, which I've seen take peoples stocks.(the only downside is learning to use a different button for jump)

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
You can still up B without wasting your jump. Just need to play with it on after you put time into it its not hard to up b or up tilt without using up your jump. So yeah he benefits more with tap jump on after you get used to it.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
frame perfect aerials from the ground out of the jump squat, faster aerials from ground and after landing. Its called double sticking and only works with tap jump on. You can buffer aerials from the squat and it guarantees a short hop. So even if you super fast slide button inputs with tap jump off you will lose a couple of frames. Go to youtube and search double sticking smash 4 and you see a better explanation.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I do it with fox, but i dont see the benefit of double sticking with megaman.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
You get all the benefits of double sticking by using a shoulder or Z button to jump with tap jump off as well, if you prefer button jumping, just making a note of that. Same benefits lol

Megamang

Smash Lord
I mistyped, i meant i dont see the benefit of the tap jump method. I find it easy enough by just mashing x + a, and i know they are perfect because i can hit pika and fox's acs.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
frame perfect aerials from the ground out of the jump squat, faster aerials from ground and after landing. Its called double sticking and only works with tap jump on. You can buffer aerials from the squat and it guarantees a short hop. So even if you super fast slide button inputs with tap jump off you will lose a couple of frames. Go to youtube and search double sticking smash 4 and you see a better explanation.
While you're not wrong and even I brought it up myself... There is still c-stick tilt and jump on a shoulder button is just as effective as you mentioned and pretty much the same. Just go with what you feel most comfortable with.

Top Bottom