• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump On or Off?

A-A-Ron

Smash Rookie
NNID
A-A-Ron-Coleman
3DS FC
1736-1976-7189
I've been playing for a while now with tap jump on, and when I try to get some U-Tilts off I just end up jumping or doing a smash attack. I wanted to see if anybody on here knows if it is worth it to re-learn the game but with tap jump off and just use L to jump. I've experimented with some of my mains and with Lucario I am getting more attacks strung in combos and Shulk is getting better too. Just difficult playing different than what I am used to. What're your guys' and girls' thoughts?

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
The only "thing" you really potentially lose that I can think of is smooth jump transitions out of a throw for follow-up. Like before turning it off my habit was to hold up during the throw animation so that I would jump during the first possible frame I'm free to do so and get cleaner combos out of grab, but I mean if you can still just train yourself to be diligent in your timing. I mean if a perfect can do frame-perfect Fox jab linking (it's not hard) then this kind of thing is a totally moot point.

Besides you gain by not accidentally jumping and ruining positioning when you're doing an uair. On top of that if you're using the n3DS the c-nub allows you to seamlessly go jump-to-SH aerial (X into c-nub) and all kinds of neat stuff like that.

It's a net positive change to which I can find only one potential drawback. It is definitely, definitely worth it with the benefits of clean utilts all the time.

A-A-Ron

Smash Rookie
NNID
A-A-Ron-Coleman
3DS FC
1736-1976-7189
The only "thing" you really potentially lose that I can think of is smooth jump transitions out of a throw for follow-up. Like before turning it off my habit was to hold up during the throw animation so that I would jump during the first possible frame I'm free to do so and get cleaner combos out of grab, but I mean if you can still just train yourself to be diligent in your timing. I mean if a perfect can do frame-perfect Fox jab linking (it's not hard) then this kind of thing is a totally moot point.

Besides you gain by not accidentally jumping and ruining positioning when you're doing an uair. On top of that if you're using the n3DS the c-nub allows you to seamlessly go jump-to-SH aerial (X into c-nub) and all kinds of neat stuff like that.

It's a net positive change to which I can find only one potential drawback. It is definitely, definitely worth it with the benefits of clean utilts all the time.
I definitely still have the tendency to push the control stick up after my grabs, but I will say it is getting better. There is still lots to get used to for me but I also am getting rid of jumping too much to where it becomes very predictable and punishable. I appreciate your input! I'll for sure keep what you said in mind as I keep on working with it!

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I really didn't think about it in too much detail... But I simply turned it off as it interrupted my gameplay, the most obvious being tilts. I also don't see the point of it when I have X/Y sitting right there and can easily map it to other places on the controller if I need to.

D

Deleted member

I tend to leave it on but I rarely use it.. it's funny, I know, but I use it in some occasions.

D

Deleted member 269706

I used to have it on, but I eventually switched to having it off, which I think was a great decision. Utilt is an incredible move for multiple characters, that unfortunately gets overlooked by players who have tap jump on. It really doesn't take that long to relearn how to play, you just have to practice offline for an hour or two in total and you'll be fine. I learned how to play by jumping with tap jump on, but then I switched to using X. Now I'm kinda trying to relearn with L. If you have a new 3DS or are playing on the Wii U, it really helps because you can use the c-stick almost instantaneously to get aerial attacks out faster.

And just to throw it out there, the majority of tournament players play with tap jump off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Normally, I would say whatever feels more comfortable to you, but there are some characters that benefit greatly from having it either on or off.

If you turn tap jump off, then you lose the ability to up-b out of shield, which is very useful for characters whose up-b is a fast anti-air move, such as Mario or Ike. On the other hand, keeping tap jump on could be potentially harmful for characters who are extremely reliant on their second jump when recovering, such as Yoshi and Shulk.

If you want my opinion on things, I'd say turn tap jump off. Lucario isn't really affected by having it on or off, but Shulk's recovery without his second jump is so weak that you wouldn't want to accidentally use it when performing something like an uair.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I've always kept it on just because I always have, it's become a habit.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Off, I'm just used to using X and Y to jump. Plus it's easier for tilts (although in my case this point is irrelevant since I use a gamepad and have the right c-stick set to normal attacks).

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
I keep it off since it kept throwing me off when I tried to do up aerials because it ended up wasting my 2nd jump (since I tend to jump with the buttons anyways), also I find it hard to do Utilts without the stick the full way

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I used tap jump in Melee was to do jump canceled grabs as Doc. However, since I main yoshi in Brawl and here, it's essential to turn it off because it will screw up recovering with Up B. It may also lead to input errors (like jump uair instead of Utilt). For me, I have more control jumping with XY instead of the control stick.

2Fat

Smash Rookie
I've always used the joystick cause it feels unnatural to use the buttons. But I know people use buttons cause they think the joystick feels unnatural.

WaterDemonBaku

Smash Cadet
I don't use tap to jump. Mainly because when I try to do up-tilts, I end up jumping and doing an Uair. I find this issue to be most common with Kirby, as I utilize the up-tilt in a lot of combos. (Dair to Up-tilt, Nair to Fair, maybe Uspecial?)

Second is when I do an Up Smash while running. (Not exactly sure what this is called though.) Again, I usually jump, and I get punished for this easily.

Third and my biggest problem is juggling with Kirby. Uair after Uair after Uair, but the whole thing is thrown outta wack when it does another jump instead. I miss and there goes my minor combo.

I don't use it at all, tho i can understand other people preferring it and Ima cool with dat.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I prefer it off due to the fact that I cant up tilt properly. I always played with it on until i kept accidentally going threw doors in smash run, instead of jumping and collecting powerups.

But now my performance is a lot better that I press Y to jump.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
I actually have my attack mapped to X and special to Y. It helps when I'm Toon Link and try to do a JC glide toss, since I can press the direction, A, then X immediately after. As for tap jump, I have it on, but I'm trying to learn to play without it.

Top Bottom