• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tao Of Spongbob

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Link to original post: [drupal=3300]Tao Of Spongbob[/drupal]

I've been giving the character of Squidward a lot of thought as of recent, and I've come to the conclusion that he possess every trait an artist should not have. His struggles in art at first appear from a lack of talent, but upon further insight we can plainly see that his art is inhibited by his own personal short comings.

Upon the first and most evident is his self infatuation. All of his paintings and sculptures are of himself, all self portraits of a man who no one cares for. When referring to himself, he speaks of his taste as being higher, as if he understands something the average creature does not. This is the deepest root of his problems, and from here stems the weeds the clog his garden.

Structure in art is incredibly important to Squidward, to the point to where he uses it as a tool that disvalues the work of others. Despite Spongbob's natural talent, Squidward dismisses his art simply because he is not a trained artist. Despite his pretentious nature, Squidward also feels the need to have others tell him what to like, Squidward reveals by stating with endowed prudence and arrogance, "I listen to public radio."

Squidward never admits self failure. It is always the fault of the audience, as he accuses them of not understanding "real art." This is actually fairly typical behavior, and behavior that I do detest in musicians. John Cage always blamed the failure of his music as being that the audience simply didn't understand his highly educated piece. Cho-Liang Lin, renowned violist and direct of music for the Univserity of California's Summerfest, states in perfectly, in saying that a composer should feel his job is in part to be teacher, to teach the listener how to approach something new and foreign, blaming your failure completely on the audience ignores your own short comings as an artist.

And from here we reach a very important question, does Squidwards pretentious nature prevent him from seeing his own shortcomings as an artist, or do his short commings stem from his self inflated opinion, in that he fails to self scrutinze as an artist?

Romulox2010

Smash Rookie
Squidward thinks too highly of himself no matter how much people try and make him realize that he is not talented in what he claims to be. But then again I'd be a cranky douche too if I had neighbors like spongebob and Patrick.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
How many episodes of Spongebob did you watch <3

Yea squidwards a douche.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Squidwad's just a kid who tries to look like a grown up.

So he does grown up stuff, like art and music, but he doesn't understand any of it.

He doesn't care about art, he just wants to be an artist.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
Squidward thinks too highly of himself no matter how much people try and make him realize that he is not talented in what he claims to be. But then again I'd be a cranky douche too if I had neighbors like spongebob and Patrick.
Naw, <3 Spongebob and Patrick.

Top Bottom