• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tales of Symphonia

WarAdept

Smash Rookie
Kratos Aurion (the guy in the black robes) looks absolutely awesome. Reminds me of Auron in FFX.

Anyways, I've seen the Japanese Trailer and the battles are absolutely stunning. Combining a mix of the original Linear Battle System, Grandia/Chrono/Skies of Arcadia series makes the battles much more enjoyable. I'm glad they kept back original magic moves such as Hammer Head, and they look like they are more useful this time round. Also, the anime cutscenes are top notch. Nothing like Lloyd plunging a demonic 20m broadsword through the ribcage of a 400m skeleton moster :chuckle:

Anyways, on the topic of RPGs, does anyone know when Chrono Saga is coming out?

MS70000

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if someone answered this already. I sorry if it was. But how many people do you get in the game?

READ THE BLOODY TOPIC. - CSHD

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
figured i bump this back up cause its dropping this tuesday. this way you wont get people making a lot of thread about it either. this is also to give people who dont know about this a chance to see this and i reminder for those who just straight 4got. i think this game is gonna be hot fire. ign gives it a 8.5, and gamespot gives it a 8.8.

if you havent heard about this game yet read an article about it or atleast grant it a rental. its suppose to be a 80hr rpg and unlike xenosaga's 80hrs i dont think you'll be sitting in boredom most of the time. i salivate over this game. and it 4 PLAYERS in battle yaaaay!!

heres a link for streaming vids, and a vid reveiw from gspot

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/talesofphantasia/media.html

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I was going to buy the game awhile ago. Infact, I was pretty excited. But now I'm not even interested in TOS, really. The battle system really turns me off. I'll be skipping this and holding onto my money for something better.

bodyguard, Xenosaga was excellent. It needed all the cutscenes because it was so story driven. And if I'm not mistaken, it's 80 hours with all the side quests.

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
xenosaga was OK it took to long for me and im somewhere at the end i just haven't had the patience to finish it yet. i did spend a few hrs on the card and mech battle minigames. i didnt like any of the charecters in the game either so i could give 2 poops if anyone dies.

im just sick of playing turn based games. thats why i like the way tales presents itself. you dont just push 1 button and go through menu's. you control everything. some of the cutscenes actually look funny to.

Kaboom

Smash Ace
Wewt! I ordered mine from EB Games last night, and got free 2 day shipping and a mini-poster. Yahoo... So excited for this release!

Hong

The Strongest
I'm getting this game tomorrow, yay! I kinda had to lend some cash out. ¬ ¬

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
This game isn't coming to Europe, right? ****, I remember playing Tales of Phantasia, don't want to miss this one.

"So import then." Yeah easy to say but it's always more expensive when importing, and I don't want to import all the time when games like these don't get released in Europe.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Wow, with all the excitement from FC, I had completely forgotten about this game. But in an hour or so, I'll be off to grab my copy. I'll let all of you know by tonight what it's like ;)

Yatta

Smash Rookie
This game isn't coming to Europe, right? ****, I remember playing Tales of Phantasia, don't want to miss this one.
I was wondering if this game would come to Europe, I actually hope it does. Does anyone know if it's coming to Europe?

Edit: Just found on IGN it hasn't been confirmed yet, never mind my question ^^

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522693p1.html

says:
Q: Will Tales be released in Europe? If so, when?
A: We've yet to get a response from Namco concerning European release.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
actually I went to the official ToS website and read rumors about Namco releasing the game in Europe by the end of 2004, so maybe around Dec if we are luck, though I bet that we'll get it in March 2005 or something, or if it's a complete flop in the US we might not ever get it at all.

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
I just picked it up a few hours ago. I haven't played a lot though, because after about ten minutes of play, my dad stopped me to mow the lawn. :C And then I played for half an hour, and then my mom made me stop to entertain my cousin, who's here until Saturday morning. :C

I don't have really complete impressions yet, but the only thing that bothers me is this weird blurring thingy. I don't know why it's there; its presence confused me. Other than that, the voice acting seems good and the graphics are tight. Battles are fun, but it's hard to protect Colette, who's pretty weak. The stats are way in the bottom corner and are pretty small, so you have to be paying attention to make sure that everyone keeps their HP up. It's fun though. Don't let anyone tell you it's not fun.

sum41

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about getting it. I mean, I have the cash, but its really the thought of spending money that turns me off a little. I really only play a few games longer than 3 months (SSBM, SCII, HM: AWL, and AC). I was wondering if this is one of those games that will get boring after 10 hours and will never see the blinky laser of Gamecube again.

Also, how is the multiplayer?

Hong

The Strongest
Oh great, I'll have to wait a whole stinkin' week to get my hands on this game.

Oh well, patience Lunadis... patience. - -

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I don't have long right now, but I'll post more tomorrow.

I'm about 2 hours into the gameplay right now, and initial impressions are good (It's supposed to be an 80 hour game, so I have a ways to go). I've been a Tales fan for a while now, and the battle system has been improved upon effectively. The beginning started oddly cliche, but then moved into pieces of the plot that even I couldn't see coming. You get the feel for battles and actions right from the start of the game. I'll talk about graphics, gameplay elements, etc. tomorrow.

sum41

Smash Ace
I got my paycheck today, and I'm off work tomarrow, so I'm 75% sure I'm going to pick up a copy. I just hope I can get out to the stores tonight.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
I haven't gotten a GC game in forever. I love RPGs. A particular favourite was Grandia 2 for Dreamcast (and laterported to PS2).

Anyways. I want to know if this game is worth buying.

Is the fighting system okay and

Is the plot good? If the game is 80 hours, it **** well better have an awesome *** plot.

Please respond asap owners :)

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
Craftstar, it's definitely worthy of buying.

The battle system is actually a lot of fun, moreso than it would be if it was turn-based. I just got tricked into going back to the area you start in, and fighting all of the crappy enemies wasn't totally worthless.

The story starts out a bit weird, in that it immediately lays out the "let's go save the world thing." But, as time goes on, certain... things... happen and you realize that the skits did their job of making you care about the characters.

Of course, I'm only about 13 hours in, so it's hard to say what's yet to happen.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Whew -_-

My internet decided to take a break for a few days.

But anyway, I'm nearing the 40 hr mark on my game, and I fear that I still have a ways to go. But this game is everything that I had expected of it. The battle system stays in line with other Tales games (plus a few additions, of course). There's a huge part of customizability that comes along with the title and EX Skill systems (be sure to read about them in the Instruction Manual, it's a bit much to explain here). A great amount of character interractions and events are practically littered (not a bad thing)around the world map and in towns etc. Also keeping in line with other Tales games, there are an incredible amount of side-quests and mini-quests that will keep one checking every corner for new items and events.

I do have one thing that's bothering me though. But it also has to do with a major part of the storyline, so only read on if you don't mind a big spoiler.

========-SPOILER WARNING-=========

The only thing that bothers me is that Namco pretty much recycled one of the major plot elements from Tales of Destiny 2e: The fact that there are two parallel worlds that you can eventually travel between. There were quite a few hints to it in the earlier part of the game, but I refused to believe that Namco would use the same idea over again in two almost consecutive games (ToD2j being inbetween, which I have not played). It may not seem quite so big of a deal to others, but I just think that originality is always best when it comes to games. I know a similar concept was seen in FF5 and both games could be said to be "copying" that part of the plot, but the ideas and uses behind the two different worlds are IMO completely different. But that's just me. And here I finish my rant.

========-SPOILER ENDING-==========

Kaboom

Smash Ace
Originally posted by bodyguard380
i was gonna get it today but by the time i got to the store which is right around the corner from my crib they was SOLD OUT. O_O :dizzy: :mad: :cry: :(
So, I see SWF went to complete crap while I was gone?

MarioBoy09

Smash Rookie
I bought Tales of Symphonia yesterday and it is a really good game. I thought it would be like Final Fantasy where you command to attack. But instead it is like a freestyle combat. Thats what makes it one of the best games i have ever played!!

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Quick, quick! I could buy this game for about $60 Canadian (think about $45 US) in three hours. Hows the game? Is it worth it?

~ Azure

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Venom Dream
Quick, quick! I could buy this game for about $60 Canadian (think about $45 US) in three hours. Hows the game? Is it worth it?

~ Azure
BUY IT.

I just beat it today. The clock was at about 42 or so hours, and the game let me start over in the same file. I'm not sure what the difference in the second run-through is, but you can buy some good stuff with your GRADE, which you should probably save if you want to play a second time.

I would also like to say that this is the most emotionally-manipulative video game I have ever played. Seriously. You will care about these characters especially when Spoilers start happening.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
To my knowledge, the game is the exact same on the second playthrough except for whatever you purchased from the shop. I'm about halfway through on my second playthrough just going around trying to get all of the stuff that I missed (And that's a LOT of stuff that I missed events for) from my first playthrough (45 hrs).

Also, there's somewhat of an event loophole somewhere in the main storyline... I happened to fall into it and the game was slightly more difficult for a bit. It's easy to get stuck in, but won't cause you to be perpetually stuck in the storyline, you'll just have to level up a few times before attempting it. I've outlined what can happen below, but there are some slight spoilers, but nothing too experience breaking.

=======-Slight Spoiler Warning-=======

Once you go to Izoold for the first time, on your way to the Water Seal, make sure you activate the correct chain of events by talking to the guy walking around (should mention something about Aifread leaving) and then the red-haired girl (Lyla) in one of the houses on the first screen. You should figure out what to do from there (Just don't leave the village!). However, failing to activate these events before leaving the village will result in you not being able to activate them, as Lyla has disappeared. You will now have to go through the Wind Seal, then the Asgard Ranch, then the Tower of Mana, and finally with Sheena in your party, visit Lake Umacy. Lyla will now be back, and you can continue that part of the story. Which you were supposed to have done before everything you just did. This loophole was intentional, however, and nothing will glitch. Events are altered depending on your path, but you always get the same outcome. Just if you miss the boat, the enemies start off a lot harder.

=======-Spoiler Warning End-========

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I rented the game last night. It's pretty good; I especially love the battle system. It seems like there are a ton of secrets that everyone is hiding from Lloyd, which is something I love! I've gotten through the Ossa Trail, and I'm supposed to find the city to get on a boat (I don't know what it is), but I'm not exactly sure where to find it. I saved in Izoold.

Also, can someone please explain the T and S part of the status screen? I really don't get how to become more balanced. I think one is for physical and the other for magical, but is there any way to make Lloyd have magical EX skills? My Lloyd is massively towards the physical one.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Some help you guys were, I already bought it before anyone replied...

I got this game yesterday. I played it for about an hour, and I really, really didn't like it. So, today I gave it another chance, and it seems to me that it has gotten a lot better already. If it keeps on getting better at the rate it is now, I'll love it by the end. I think the main reason why the game suddenly got alot better was that the battle system got a lot more complicated. Does it keep on doing that?

Anyyyway... to sum up my thoughts: at this point, I'm thinking of the game as quite average, but it's getting better as I go, and I hope that continues.

Now, I have a question - any stratagies for beating those SMRPG-esq Treasure-chest monsters? I just got totally anniholated by one of those things.

~ Azure

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I got the last copy. Lucky, huh?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Alright, time to clear a few things up.

The Fakes (the treasure chest monsters) can only be harmed by magic. Physical attacks do absolutely nothing to them. In other words, the best strategy is to just run up to the thing with Lloyd and sit there gaurding while other people cast spells on it.

Now for the T and S part. T is technical and S is Strike. You can consider them branches for which moves you'll learn. You'll always learn the base move regardless of which side you're on, but later in the game, as you start getting to higher levels, you'll be able to learn"powered up" versions of that move or spell. The thing is, there are two different powered up versions, one for T, and one for S. It's impossible to be able to learn both, but if you "forget" the one branch that you've already learned, and switch to the opposite branch, you'll learn that branch of it instead. Certain move branches can even go into a 3rd move of that kind, but not all will. Now for what determines whether your character is a T or an S character. It's all determined by which EX skills you have set. When you're looking at the effect of the EX Skills you're choosing, look in the upper-right corner of that bottem box. It will say that that skill is either S- or T-Type. That character will be whatever the majority of EX Skills they have are pointed to. This adds further to the customization process.

And Venom Dream, don't worry about it much at the beginning. I thought the storyline was a bit cliche and unrefined for the first bit of my playthrough as well, but it most definitely gets better and less predictable.

sum41

Smash Ace
So you say I should save my grade for the next time through the game?

Burning Composer

Smash Apprentice
Here are my thoughts of the game:

Superb. It rivals even my favorite RPG, Final Fantasy VII. It maybe even surpassing it. Not ssure, I haven't beaten it yet.

Graphics are amazing. Controls are tight. Story so far, cliched but superb. Character's are tremendous. Gameplay is great.

So what are it's down sides. Not that many. Actually, I can think very little of things that are bad.

But anyway, It's a must have game. It get s the B.C. stamp of approval.

(no, not Beer Club)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Venom Dream, the treasure chest monster in the Triet ruins should probably just be avoided for now. I tried it the first time at Level 10, and I was massacred. Then I came back (to get... something, people who've played know what I mean, and it was simple).

Wow. So very many twists and turns at the the final seal. I sure didn't expect all of that. But I thought that the final seal would be the end of the first disc, but no! There's more!

I had to return the rental just after I got the Rheiards for good. All those skits and cutscenes just make me suspicious of every character (by the time I stopped playing, in my mind the only trustworthy ones were Lloyd and Genis).

But Raine has to be my favorite. There's nothing like hitting people on the back of the head, even if her magic is almost entirely supportive. Least favorite? Presea pre-mine. Her constant whining "I want to go home" was so annoying!

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
But Raine has to be my favorite. There's nothing like hitting people on the back of the head, even if her magic is almost entirely supportive.
Man, Raine was seriously the most integral part of my team by the end of my first run-through. Her two accessories were the Faerie Ring, which reduces TP consumption by 50%, and the Spirit Medallion (or at least I think it was medallion; it was definitely spirit though) which restores TP at a fixed rate of 3% throughout battle. As far as EX skills, I found Spirit Up, which raises TP every now and then after a battle (equip a level 2 Spirit and a level 3 Eternal [again, that might not be exactly right]). Her TP was at around 700 at about level 65. Set her strategy to Heal and to keep a distance from the enemies, and her Revitalize spell keeps the party healthy. Plus, Photon and Ray are both awesome offensive spells, although they're light-based so they're not that great against some... later... bosses...

My friend hates Raine, so I am always thinking of ways that she is awesome. This is why I have said this.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
There are more than 3... it's more like 6 or 7. And Revolutions, the Revitalize spell for Raine is the final level of healing spell for her T side. If you happen to be going down the S path with her, the final healing spell would be called Revive with similar effects ( I think... haven't tried it yet :p).

I'm getting towards the end of my second playthrough now and I'm picking up all of the bonuses and other little things I missed the first time. Mainly though, I'm going through and beating "Advanced" mode in the arena with everybody (You enter as one person). So far I've only done it with Lloyd, Collette, Genis, Raine, and Sheena. I could probably do the other three easily, I just haven't tried yet.

Raccoon, don't give up on Presea yet. She's a powerhouse once you start leveling her and get a few good titles. And, it's just a geuss, but if she's whining about wanting to go home... why not go to her home? :)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Um, omnigamer, I know what happens when you take Presea home; I've already gotten the Rheiards!

I do wonder if anyone can ask me a question though: when are you supposed to find Aifread in Luin? I searched the whole city several times, but I couldn't find him, or any word of him. Now something (the people who've been this far know what I'm talking about) has happened, and I don't think I'll be able to find him anymore.

Top Bottom