• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking a break between bracket matches?

mrdoingboing

Smash Cadet
I had an interesting experience today at a tournament that was rather upsetting. I almost managed to pull a major upset, but ended up throwing away games 2 and 3 and lost the set. All the meanwhile, some guy was loudly cheering for my opponent throughout the entire set. I stood up to unplug my controller, and he sat down next to me and told me to sit back down so that we could play for bracket. I didn't even have a chance to reflect on what just happened at all, and was really upset I squandered a potentially huge win.

Needless to say, I felt like **** and I was thrown immediately back into a set which I promptly lost. I was super distracted/tilted from what had just happened and I really don't think I played to the best of my ability. All excuses aside, if something like this happens in the future, can I politely tell my opponent that I need a few minutes to collect myself before jumping into our set? This is under the supposition that the bracket isn't running behind. From what I understand, it's proper etiquette to not ask players for money matches or friendlies immediately after losing an important set. I understand there's a sense of urgency/obligation to a bracket match, but would it be an issue to make a request like this in the future?

Top Bottom