• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tail spike ?

LLLLegion

Smash Cadet
Hey, can someone explain the tail spike mechanic on pika's Uair I have no idea how it works and everytime I've done it it has been 50% spike and 50% helping my opponent. I'm still new to melee.

Nair

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goldenwolf2
3DS FC
0920-1616-6632
Okay there are like 5 hit boxes. Here's a sick MLG visual image.
........-- 1
....-- 2
..-- 3
....-- 3
.......--2

On the very top of the tail dunks in a reverse fashion. It pulls the enemy toward you in a downward angle.

Right below that hit box is the "Dunk Box" as dubbed by myself. This box does the "dunking" in a diagonal fashion away and down.

Every other hitbox sends straight up essentially except for the one like really close to Pikachu's butt as I am now dubbing "Butt Dunk". But it also works in the "reverse" fashion. But it's incredibly unsafe and you won't find many uses for this particular hit-box.

1. Reverse Dunk (Tip)

2. Dunk (Just below the tip)

3. Lift up (Pretty much every other hit box)

I'm not sure if I'm entirely correct, but it feels like this when I play, and I have a pretty good consistency of hitting both the reverse and the standard dunk.

Battle Tips:

1. Reverse Dunk - Is a neat combo that leads into Nair on most characters. It's beautiful. 10/10 Would do again.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa7MYdNq3mQ

It's also good against Peach (imho) if you can land it consistently as it's relatively safe, and gimps her. R.I.P.

2. Dunk

As you probably know, this is very useful against everyone and can also be seen in the Axe vs. Silentwolf x4.

This is super awesome, because it allows you to combo characters into UpSmash like Marth/Cpt. Falcon etc. I think it can also be a set up for Jigglypuff, etc. It forces a tech chase at the very least, and that in itself is useful.

3. Lift up

This is good for cross-up Nairs on most opponents and allows you to combo them with your Nair or whatever you feel like. Personally I always end up doing another U-Air into itself a few times before figuring what I want to do, depending on the opponent.

I didn't intend for this to be a Pikachu 101 session, but I wanted to cover common uses, etc. that give you a time to use it, etc.

Last edited:

Nair

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goldenwolf2
3DS FC
0920-1616-6632
I also want to mention that often if you find yourself helping your opponent, it's because you're probably hitting with the early parts of Up+Air, which I believe almost always send up based on the position of the "Lift Up" spots. So try and hit with the later parts of the Up+Air for better accuracy.

Top Bottom