• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tafokints On Why Smashers Are Skeptical

Quillion

Smash Hero
This fandom is worse than the Sonic and Pony fandoms combined. I stand by that.

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
For me to be a newcomer, everything is starting to make sense. I'm going off topic a little bit with the assumption that the big companies are not satisfied with how much money they have. If that's the case, how dare they suck the money out of the community, the Nintendo company included. I finally see why Brawl continues to go downwards. I also see why Smash 4 will never top off Melee or any of the other future smash games that might come. If only companies would think about what the community wants instead of only finding stuff to SELL to them......sadly, that ain't the case.

As for Project M, it's been a weird start for the game itself. How is it that it's not being hosted as much since the beginning of the year? It just seems real coincidental that it's not in the highlights as much since Apex 2015. There's no telling if things will calm down, but I do know one thing; the community needs to come together as a whole, not with thread and needle but with spider silk. We don't need no more group beefs under the same brand we all play. Besides, there's something bigger at stake.

"It's all about the game."
~ Sgt. Ernie Calhoun "Video Game High School (VGHS)

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
For me to be a newcomer, everything is starting to make sense. I'm going off topic a little bit with the assumption that the big companies are not satisfied with how much money they have. If that's the case, how dare they suck the money out of the community, the Nintendo company included. I finally see why Brawl continues to go downwards. I also see why Smash 4 will never top off Melee or any of the other future smash games that might come. If only companies would think about what the community wants instead of only finding stuff to SELL to them......sadly, that ain't the case.

As for Project M, it's been a weird start for the game itself. How is it that it's not being hosted as much since the beginning of the year? It just seems real coincidental that it's not in the highlights as much since Apex 2015. There's no telling if things will calm down, but I do know one thing; the community needs to come together as a whole, not with thread and needle but with spider silk. We don't need no more group beefs under the same brand we all play. Besides, there's something bigger at stake.

"It's all about the game."
~ Sgt. Ernie Calhoun "Video Game High School (VGHS)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm still sticking to what I've said before in here. The more people respond to it that says otherwise, the more critical I become.

And that guy in the video almost looks a lot like one of my nephews.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110

peekaboo

-

Edit: Neat history lesson, but irrelevant for long-time competitive Smashers, I think. Definitely somethin every newcomer needs to watch though.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I wouldn't really consider smashers to be entirely skeptical when 90% of people blindly believe any leak random people pull out of their behinds, without ever taking anything with a grain of salt or rationally thinking things through.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Honestly, this is the most well put into perspective on how the community has worked. Having a "Don't talk to strangers" esk mentality is a good thing when we've been running on the kindness of each other since the very beginning. We were the ones who got us into EVO, donating to see the game we loved see the grass above the ground again. Love for a series that is seemingly undying, and certainly has made its mark in history.
We can't just go and trust some big company with prizes and goodies and promises, just like you can't trust a stranger who has candy or a bike in their car.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Kinda, I don't know him but he looks awful, the thumbnail is he while talking and that makes his face looks ugly, take a picture of yourself while talking or eating and you'll get it
Even if that is your opinion, It still isn't a required post. Talk about the topic of the post, not your argument. I mean, did you even bother listening to what he said or did you say, "Nah, I won't bother since this guy is ugly and people who are ugly don't matter."

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Even if that is your opinion, It still isn't a required post. Talk about the topic of the post, not your argument. I mean, did you even bother listening to what he said or did you say, "Nah, I won't bother since this guy is ugly and people who are ugly don't matter."
WTH? I'm not attacking him for being "ugly" I never say he is a ugly person and because of that reason not taking him seriously. Where did I call him ugly? I said they thumbnail make him looks ugly because he is talking and looks welll ugly, I saw the video and was "Meh" But he really looks ugly on the thumbnail, if Omni makes a video and he appear looking damn horrible or making a weird face becuase lets say he sneeze and youtube take that moment as a thumbnail he would look ugly, same here, he looks ugly on the thumbnail, I'm not making him less because I'm talking about the way he looks in the thumbnail no how he is in real life.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
All good in regards to the poster making fun of my "looks". I did the change the thumbnail to a slightly better one. I had to leave my computer as the video was uploading and Youtube decided to default to a less-than-flattering picture of me.

I may have to make a part 2 to clarify my view on sponsors. I don't think they are inherently bad, but we do need to make strategic partnerships that make sense in which we have shared goals and can work together in achieving them.

I'm still mulling over MVG and have some reservations, but I'm not going to say they are outright bad at this point.

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
When I look at this, there is no problem. There seems to be this ongoing struggle to make playing video games a career. This could be possible and viable but e-sports is new and it will take a long time before its stable. I personally don't think "competitive " should be synonymous with "career". These gents should get stable careers and keep smashing as a hobby, go to tournaments and all that, its fun to watch.

But when you start to make a career out of it you suffer from companies that try to take advantage of your desperation for a paycheck. Lets keep corporate corruption out of e-sports. Let tournaments be funded through entry fees. There shouldn't be anyone being paid(unless its for equipment). Its a video game that we all love, the tournaments should be set up for the love of the game not for anyone's payday.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
*Ignoring the idiotic discussion of reaction gifs above me*

Companies (nintendo chiefly) have failed time and again to provide tangible benefit for the prosperity of the community. It's been hammered into our nature to only trust ourselves.
It doesn't help that the guy who made Smash Brothers, Sakurai, has openly expressed discontent with the Competitive circuit, which is bad form on my opinion.

Yes, I acknowledge that he is in it for the casual players. The living room parties as it were, and that's fine. But you have to acknowledge what the competitive community has done for Smash in general. It's gotten people interested in the game, it's gotten people talking about the game, it's gotten people playing the game and it's gotten people into the game. And they're enjoying it. Which I think, aside from the bottom line, is the purpose of making a game: to get people having fun with it.

And people are.

And he should at least acknowledge that despite his misgivings about competitive Smash, it's giving his game a name and is basically free advertising.

Top Bottom