• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tabletop Simulator

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone else play this? I just got it last night primarily to play dead TCGs like Duel Masters and the WoW TCG. But now I've already downloaded a ton of other board games to play with some of my friends who live across country and overseas. I'm really excited to see what the community does with this in the years. It has near infinite potential due to its flexibility.

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
A couple of the guys in my D&D party have mentioned it in passing, and we've thought about using it for our campaigns (pen-and-paper maps get confusing and cramped after a while).

Would it be good for that kind of stuff? I've never used it, only heard about it. All you'd really need to do for D&D is have a texture of the room/battlefield on the ground, and some generic player models to move around like chess pieces on a grid.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
A couple of the guys in my D&D party have mentioned it in passing, and we've thought about using it for our campaigns (pen-and-paper maps get confusing and cramped after a while).

Would it be good for that kind of stuff? I've never used it, only heard about it. All you'd really need to do for D&D is have a texture of the room/battlefield on the ground, and some generic player models to move around like chess pieces on a grid.
It actually comes with everything you need to set up a DnD campaign. Minis, pieces, costomizable grids, notes to pass to other players, dice. Honestly, I'm convinced that there isn't a single game you can't play with this thing.

~Astra

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChainsawPolice
It actually comes with everything you need to set up a DnD campaign. Minis, pieces, costomizable grids, notes to pass to other players, dice. Honestly, I'm convinced that there isn't a single game you can't play with this thing.
This is amazing.

I'm more interested in using it for IRL gatherings and having it on, like, a TV screen or something next to the DM. While online is easier, nothing beats the in-person fun of D&D.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
This is amazing.

I'm more interested in using it for IRL gatherings and having it on, like, a TV screen or something next to the DM. While online is easier, nothing beats the in-person fun of D&D.
This is another reason why I bought it. My friends and I play in a small, dedicated room with a big TV and a table. With this I (or anyone who wanted to DM) could save on table space with on-screen maps and minis as well as cutting down costs since it comes with minis and other customizable pieces.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Sounds like our setup too. Has it worked well, or does it just feel gimmicky My fear is always buying **** because of the gimmicks.
I wouldn't know, haven't tried it yet.

Although I wouldn't call this "gimmicky" since it's little more than a sandbox for you to play whatever table top games you want in a virtual space.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I've never used Tabletop Simulator, but I can recommend Roll20 for D&D over long distances. It's a great tool and even has voice\video chat support on Google+ built in so you can directly interact with the party and DM.

Top Bottom