• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swordfighter Combo Discussion

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Despite Swordfighter being designed primarily as a spacing character, he is more than capable of busting out powerful and possibly deadly combos.
Here are some examples

Jab Lock: Jab 1 and 2 can jab lock into these moves depending on the character
Grab->Down Throw-> Up Air
Down Tilt->Forward Air (requires size modifications)
Slow Chakram->
Dash Attack
Power Thrust
Dash Grab->Down Throw-> Up Air

Up-tilt: can chain into itself
Up-Air
Back-Air

Falling Up Air:
Up Tilt->
Up-Air
Back-Air
Up-air
Back-air

Well this is it for now please feel free to add more to the thread

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
One video that I watched said that ftilt could start a jab lock. It seems to have very high knockback, though. Can BKF lock using any other moves instead?

Does slow chakaram have less lag in midair? It certainly seems closer to comboing that way, but it might just be because of aerial mobility.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
One video that I watched said that ftilt could start a jab lock. It seems to have very high knockback, though. Can BKF lock using any other moves instead?

Does slow chakaram have less lag in midair? It certainly seems closer to comboing that way, but it might just be because of aerial mobility.
I forgot that jab lock can mean either using a weak hit to force a get up or using a jab combo

its probably the mobility

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
This one's more of a string, and only works at low percents

Jab 1 -> jab 2 -> utilt -> grab -> dthrow -> Uair

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Followups:

dtilt(5 frames), grab(6 frames), dsmash(7 frames), jab(7 frames), utilt(8 frames), dash grab(8 frames-ish), hero's spin (8 frames), dash attack(9 frames), usmash (11 frames), ftilt (11 frames). These are off the top of my head, so a few may be off.

Low %:
Dthrow->Fair->fair,uair depending on DI (requires tiny mii)
Utilt->dtilt,grab, maaybe jab for smaller miis. Utilt doesn't chain into itself at low % unless it's back hit->forward hit.
Dtilt->dtilt->followup. Even fsmash works within range. Best is probably a dash grab
Walking dtilt->utilt->followup
Falling nair-> dash attack,dtilt, possibly dash grab
Short hop nair->dtilt (may need ~10%)
Falling dair->dash attack (small mii)
Dthrow->full hop dair
Dthrow->footstool->bair->smash attack or grab (bair stops being able to jab reset around 30ish%)
Falling uair has trouble comboing into 7-8+ frame attacks at low %. It depends on how quickly you were able to land after hitting the opponent.

Mid %:
Dtilt->uair,nair
Utilt->bair
Falling fair->grab for those with slower than frame 2 jabs. Dtilt may get powershielded or hit depending on fall speed
Falling bair->dtilt,dash attack (may need smaller mii)
Falling nair-> dash attack, possibly dash grab.
Short hop nair->dash attack
Most jab cancel followups, especially dtilt and grab
Bair->bair (may require a smaller mii)
Fair->quick draw side B(lol)

High % (70-80+)
Jab1->hero's spin on floaties (works on fastfallers around 120-130)
Jab2->hero's spin ~80-90%
Jab can possibly chain into itself multiple times at this %.
Walking Dtilt->run into uair (smaller miis)
Dthrow->Uair up until 95%, 0 rage on middle weights (only smaller miis can catch opponents who DI away). Higher rage, ~80%
Falling fair->~8 frame followup depending on the opponent's gravity

Any %:
Jump forward + Gale strike-> uair
Tiny Mii jab cancels
Of course, a landing sweetspot uair can combo into most aerials

Strings:
Dash attack, Power thrust, and the quick draw side B puts you in favorable positions with a frame advantage, but you cannot combo.
Low % dtilt-> dair
Fully spaced dtilt->uair (may need a smaller mii), if the opponent air dodges, you'll hit them with the sourspot uair->followup.

Jab cancels work better the higher the opponent's % (to a certain point, floaty characters are hit high at kill %). Smaller miis have better jab cancels with worse range.

Moderate skill

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that while SF can make opponents slide off battlefield's platforms with ftilt (and, more easily, bair) at very low percents to start a 'lock.' Once they're on the ground, ftilt seems to be the only move that can hit correctly. Are there any other setups Swordfighter can use to start a jab lock?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I like doing nair *fast fall* to dtilt to dash grab to upair, at low %s X3

works like a charm.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I forgot one

Mid %:

Falling fair 1st or 2nd hit-> grab or dtilt

It's not safe on shield, but it's a nice aerial chase mixup to lead into more punishment. The lower the height, the better the followup potential but worse the range.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
so now we know that Chakram is now a hitconfirm into anything (k maybe not everything)
note worthy combos
Chakram (xN)
-Up Smash (for Killing/Damage and Up air set up)
-Grab -> Down Throw -> Up Air (Max Damage)
-Fsmash -> (to set up an edgeguard or kill if near the ledge)
-(if close to the ledge) D-air -> DI away from ledge -> footstool (if done perfectly it can instakill DK and probably a few others at 0%)
-SoL (yes it works, seriously though if you can land an SoL you can do another rep of Chakram or F-smash)

Also i randomly did Max distance SoL into Forward Air

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Following are also true:

Chakram to Blade Flurry
Chakram to ftilt (for what it's worth)
Chakram to Power thrust (can kill at 100ish% near the ledge)
Chakram to Hero's spin ^-^

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I now dub chakram -> fsmash "Lumberchak" because fsmash looks like a lumberjack swing

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Hey,
I picked up mii swordfighter recently, so I went in the lab and tried to find some kill setups. I was a bit disappointed until I found that sourspot landing up air actually combos with sweet spot up air at kill %. Yeaaah : )
So I tried it a different % and...found that you can follow up with almost everything after a landing upAir. I don't know if this is already known, but since it lacks of videos about mii swordfighter, I thought it could be a nice idea to record what I was doing, so there you go (kill setup at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ADvh-vng4&feature=youtu.be

There is some nice 30-40% setups in there, and I was just improvising (is that a word ? I'm a bit tired it's 4 in the morning here^^), so I'm sure it can be improved.

Now, the tricky part is to land that upAir. With some practice (I need practice for everything cause i suck) it can be used as a punish, but in the neutral I feel like it can be really hard to space it correctly (you have to land right on the guy), and it's not safe on shield (I guess, not tested tho). Thoughts ?

EDIT : Since it's a pain to try the di/jump/shield/airdodges alone, not everything has been tested in good conditions, so it may need more testing. I did check the kill setup and it still works tho.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey,
I picked up mii swordfighter recently, so I went in the lab and tried to find some kill setups. I was a bit disappointed until I found that sourspot landing up air actually combos with sweet spot up air at kill %. Yeaaah : )
So I tried it a different % and...found that you can follow up with almost everything after a landing upAir. I don't know if this is already known, but since it lacks of videos about mii swordfighter, I thought it could be a nice idea to record what I was doing, so there you go (kill setup at the end):

There is some nice 30-40% setups in there, and I was just improvising (is that a word ? I'm a bit tired it's 4 in the morning here^^), so I'm sure it can be improved.

Now, the tricky part is to land that upAir. With some practice (I need practice for everything cause i suck) it can be used as a punish, but in the neutral I feel like it can be really hard to space it correctly (you have to land right on the guy), and it's not safe on shield (I guess, not tested tho). Thoughts ?
*goes to video*
*sees rathalos armor*
*pauses video*
*gives like*
yeah i definitiely knew about the properties of Falling up air its just too yolo for me
oh yeah a few of these combos are in our combo thread...
http://smashboards.com/threads/swordfighter-combo-discussion.403344/
AEMehr AEMehr if you would kindly merge this thread with that thread

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hey,

EDIT : Since it's a pain to try the di/jump/shield/airdodges alone, not everything has been tested in good conditions, so it may need more testing. I did check the kill setup and it still works tho.
Good Video. It's your Strongest Kill Move. Not Stronger.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh I should post this here:

Dthrow fulljump dair is a combo

So at low %s you can (near the ledge) dthrow > fulljump dair > fastfall > footstool to kill weaker recoveries, like Falco.

Last edited:

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Does anyone mind if I put this in the guide including a link to the video? This is golden information for it.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Does anyone mind if I put this in the guide including a link to the video? This is golden information for it.
i have no idea who would mind tbh if you advertize this forum more people will come and some might even add their own crazy combos

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I was here. I had turned away from smash for a while because of the new games past spring for which I needed to get the hype out of my system. Now that the smash summer is here, I've been coming back to it and I've played several friendlies online. In this, I performed several strings of which I'm not sure if they are true or not; at least for most characters.
Often times I've done things like smash chakram --> F-smash, Utilt --> jab combo --> Nair, Nair to RAR Bair and Fair (autocanceled on second hit) D-tilt --> jump canceled Usmash. Lots of kill strings, but I doubt they're true. Could anyone confirm this?

Routa

Smash Lord
If I remember correctly D-tilt -> JC U-Smash isn't a true combo when it matters. People should be able to act out before kill %. Ofc It might work as a normal combo, but not as a kill confirm (needs more testing). Smash Chakram -> F-smash is something I would not try to do. It is not a true, if I remember correctly, and it is very unsafe due to how close you must be to hit with the F-Smash. In general you would want to go for Tilt Chakram due to it being easier to follow up with insert killmove here. Not sure about the Nair to Rar Bair. I need to test that at one point. Could work as a mix up.

Darklink401 Darklink401 mah boi! Are you able to test these out? 2DS isn't the most optimal system to test stuff like these.

Anyways good to have you back mate. I was already worrying where you were. You have missed so much while you were gone.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I cannot right now. But I can let ya know that soft chakram to pp fsmash works wonders

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I know on some characters up throw (sometimes down throw) to up tilt can juggle a little depending on mii size and opponent weight and DI. Also on some of the lighter characters, down throw seems to have too much knockback to follow up to a up air, so using a up throw sometimes can work to follow up with a up air, at least with my experiences.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
At higher %s, upthrow is good, since it has less KB, but has more lag so the followups arent true. Still, forces your opponent to be within attack's reach

Cuddly Cat

Smash Rookie
I now dub chakram -> fsmash "Lumberchak" because fsmash looks like a lumberjack swing
Shorthop forward and aim a weak Chakram downwards, it locks the opponent with the multihits and it makes it easier to combo into forward smash. If you're using custom badges, you can use the higher airspeed and less landing lag badges to make it easier, basically using the Chakram as a shield.

I haven't tested this yet, but you could use your new "shield" as shield pressure, and you might be able to force them to let you grab them or make them dodge away.

Top Bottom