• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching to Fox

Al3x_v9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Al3x.v9
I'm going to be switching my main to fox and I was wondering what the biggest do's and don'ts are, what should every Fox main know, and etc. Really looking to improve

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Hey,

good news that you're switching to Fox :D

Why did you make the choice, and who did you come from?

IMO Fox has advantages, and disadvantages.

Advantages:

- Great movement speed, both walking and running

- Good approach options like SH nair, RAR bair which are both fairly safe on shield

- Really fluid moveset, he doesn't have many "true" combos, however based on opponents DI, and ability to tech; you can really string together moves to build up damage

- AMAZING U tilt

- AMAZING U air

- Fastfaller

- Good reflector, can also be used for stalling in the air

Disadvantages:

- Fox is LIGHT AS F

- Grab range is very short, and doesn't have true follow ups from any grab

- Recovery is linear, and can be easily read by opponents

- Fastfaller

- Can be tough to finish stocks after a certain % point

All in all Fox is an amazing character, and there are plenty of resources out there.

First tips that I'd give, is get used to his movement (mentioned in another very recent thread), and his bait and punish play style.

If you have any more specific questions, then please feel free to ask (though I'm not amazing by any stretch) and I'm sure you'll get answers from someone.

Also, YouTube is definitely a great resource; search for Larry Lurr, Ksev, Void (used to play Fox, and there are videos out there).

seoh

Smash Cadet
get ready to get edge guarded, and get ready to be a tech god

seoh

Smash Cadet
in all seriousness, learn to ledge guard. his edge guarding is not that great because of the risks that it entails. most of his aerials will drop you far down due to fall speed (bair/fair/dair cause of lag, nair cause of long hit box) so really his best off stage move is shine, but its uses are limited. try it vs bad recovery characters (cloud and yoshi for example, check out Larry Lurr vs M2k from GOML). realistically his most effective offstage option is ff fair footstool, but it requires a variety of situations to be met, making it not really a reliable edge guard.

however, fox is great at the ledge. his utilt 2 frames into uair and bair at early percents as one of very few true combos he has, he can 2 frame with dtilt as well into uair (if you tipper, it true combos into uair for a really long time). even if you cant kill with these moves, they still present huge pressure choices to your opponent. his dsmash and fsmash are great mixups that can actually kill at the ledge. dsmash is particularly good at the ledge of BF cause of the shape. nair also covers ledge jump/neutral get-up, has a lasting hitbox to clank with DJ fair from a character like sheik, and isn't laggy so you can react to ledge roll with your movement. there's an incredibly good post on ledge trumping, which includes much better coverage of fox's options to punish ledge options here.

His ledge guarding game is amazing, and learning this will help you a lot. It's also magnified because people like to think they can shield vs fox at high percents, but his throws, though they do not combo, actually throw the opponent very far, allowing for his stellar ledge game to be easily set up.

Last edited:

Geese

Smash Cadet
go check out the kill confirm thread like this http://smashboards.com/threads/kill-setups.436699/#post-21182248 because just hoping for a bair at the edge, or a callout upsmash or uair is not going to be reliable at all times. Regarding those also, if you end up going for the dair into up smash, depending on where the last hit of it is will send the opponent in front or behind you so make sure you practice them a couple times in training mode. Also, unless you can knock them off the edge with a throw, down throw is the only one you should be using unless you are going for a mix up.

Top Bottom