• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching from a passive playstyle to an aggressive playstyle

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
For the past two years, I've been playing Jigglypuff in tournaments. I'll do alright in tournaments, beat my share of people, then lose and go home. Occasionally I'll beat someone better than me, or lose to someone I shouldn't lose to.

My biggest flaw in my gameplay is how I play Jigglypuff. I play a campy Jiggs, waiting for an opening to go in and do some damage. I

Here's a recent tournament match which shows how I play.

I believe my reason for beating better people is lack of knowledge of the matchup, but those who do know it, I get completely *****. I was recently playing with Gimpyfish, and he told me I would be alot better off playing a different character, since I only play passive with Jiggs.

What I want to know is how can I overcome this wall? I'm tired of just being a mediocre player, I want to place higher in tournaments, beat more people, etc.

Any kind of advice would be helpful.

IceWallz

Smash Rookie
You don't have to switch play styles, just camp more in their face. If your waiting for opportunities and they see this, they wont let you get hits in. You have to pressure them but keep spacing and wait like that....Jiggly can get out camped really bad so you have to play in their own space and then wait for them to mess up and let you hit them.

in my opinion :grin:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
In my experience, camping isn't good, particularly in several matchups.

Foxes who laser spam until 50%, uthrow->uair = death
Camping Shieks
Ganondorf
Falcon

Ganondorf and Falcon require you to be in their face, constantly attacking and not allowing them to gain distance over you to set up a wall of aerials (Ganondorf) or just move insanely fast to get a grab->dthrow->knee (Falcon).

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You were resting people at really high percentages, but that was pretty good teamwork.

One of your problems is that you don't really seem to be using the bair to good measure and you're floating too high - this is bad because Jigglypuff usually doesn't want to be above someone when mounting an offense. Try DIing your own jumps (staying low) in and out of their range and gradually pushing them back with the bair to apply pressure. Nairs are nice too, as they're fast and set up for combos occasionally.

Top Bottom