• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWD Techniques

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Super Wave Dash Tech Directory

All of these techniques are ideal if momentum is in your favor, and is very risky to try and shift momentum with this alone. You can use these to follow up opponents knocked away by nair, missile cancel, etc.

SWD into Dash
Cancels the SWD and is a great tool to act out of SWD into another move.

SWD into Smash
-Using C-stick for this is better than A. Timing for some attacks are different so just get used to them.
-Dsmash is your best bet as it covers a large area of the stage. Won't register until the late end of the SWD. Decreases inertia.
-Fsmash Good to punish moves your opponent committed to since it. Decreases inertia if attacking in the direction you're traveling; cancels inertia if attacking in the opposite direction.
-Usmash is a good anti-air option if they are launched across the stage. Won't register until the late end of the SWD. Make sure to dash out of SWD into Usmash if you are going to end up too far.

SWD into Special
-Charge Shot too OP. Traveling backwards is your best bet. Won't register until the late end of the SWD.
-Going into bomb after a SWD can further pressure a shield to wear you may follow up with jab pressure. Slows momentum
-Screw Attack to beat out any potential trade. Cancels inertia.
-Missiles are ideal if you're not charged or don't want to waste a charge shot. Cancels inertia.

SWD B-Reverse Charge Shot
Completely reverses your inertia, and is great if your opponent ends up behind you after the initial dash.
Also comes in cancel-able, if not fully charged, to lead into other moves. This is prone to be punished since you must pass through your opponent. Use if your opponent is committed to a move and cannot punish your initial dash.

DoubleSWD into Charge Shot
Use this if your opponent is good at reading your dash. Some people are smart and will attack you out of SWD. Baits out an attack to punish your SWD, to allow a quick anti-punish follow up.

SWD / DSWD into Dash Attack
Exerts presence. Good for a quick hit and potential follow up.

SWD / DoubleSWD / Dash cancel into jab pressure
This is the only pressure I suggest when you're not in control of momentum, since you don't have to commit entirely.
-Double SWD baits out an attack as stated in the charge shot option.
-Dash cancel is slow but is a great first-time mix-up and has pressure being exerted behind them which is always uncomfortable.

SWD backwards off-stage holding shield
Great edgeguarding tool.
Drop a morph bomb near the ledge to keep your momentum off stage.

SWD from the ledge
Very situational, so use wisely and at your own risk. Good to approach campy players when recovering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJcBikKUpys

The mixups are endless. #Broken

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Nah, I've been doing this since like week one. Not to put down your accomplishment, it's super cool, and looks bizarre as hell.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Ive done it also. I don't use it in an actual fight but I have messed around with it. Hey @ pizzacato pizzacato can we turn this into a super wavedash techniques thread? But with a cooler name lol. I have been playing around with SWD, and it surprises the hell out of people sometimes. I would also like to see if people are discovering the same things I am. Heres a few for example.
-SWD into fully charged shot reversal.
-DSWD into charged shot.
Use this if your opponent is good at reading your dash. Some people are smart and will attack you out of SWD. Use this as a fakeout and when they try to attack you blast them in the chest.
-SWD into smash.
Using C-stick during this is better than A. Timing for some attacks are different so just get used to them. Dsmash is best bet because it covers a large area of the stage.
-Into arials off stage
-Chasing opponenents knocked away by pure awesomeness like nair, missile cancel, etc.
-SWD into dash.
Just SWD and at the right moment dash the opposite direction. You have options out of this like dash grab, shoulder tackle, zair.
I just thought of something else. I am not sure how effective it is but there has been times where I have SWD and as im sliding across I just jab real quick. Its like a surprise and im wondering if it would fumble your opponent enough to get off a charge shot reversal.
If you would like to keep this thread then I will just start a new thread. But it would be an excellent topic to start discussing. There are many many uses besides looking cool.

Chevy

Smash Ace
I use SWD into backwards dash grab pretty often. If we want to talk silly tech, try SWD backwards off the stage while holding shield. Best edgeguard technique ever. More practically, if you want to keep your momentum off-stage, drop a morph bomb as you approach the ledge to get farther out.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
If we want to talk silly tech, try SWD backwards off the stage while holding shield. Best edgeguard technique ever. More practically, if you want to keep your momentum off-stage, drop a morph bomb as you approach the ledge to get farther out.
Lol I do that all the time!

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Pizza =D

Edit: Do you guys SWD off of platforms? It takes you further than a waveland and it can again surprise your opponent. Oooohh just thought of SWD off of plat into ice fair =O. I effin love samus!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

In Melee it was drop bomb, hit left on frame 41 then right on frame 42 (to swd right, opposite for left, obviously)

There's now a 2 frame window, but I'm not sure how it extends.

Frame 41 is just as samus touches the ground.

Top Bottom