• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWD issues

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I am having some odd trouble getting the super wavedash down. I was able to do it fairly consistently earlier this summer (about 60-70% of the time) but I took a mini smash break, while I was practicing again, I noticed I could barely get a SWD 1% of the time. I tried playing at 1/4, 1/2 and 2/3 speed, but it really didn't help much.

It wouldn't be so frustrating, except I used to be able to do it relatively easily and now, for whatever reason, it seems unrealistically difficult, even on PM where there's a much bigger window.
I'm no Samus pro, and SWDashing is not a big part of my Samus play, but I'm upset I lost the ability to pull it off.
Do you guys have any tips for practicing?

Litt

Samus
Go master it in melee and you will never have a hard time performing it in PM again. Just make sure you are practicing on a CRT so you will get consistency when you practice, if you try to learn the SWD on a laggy tv you are gonna have a bad time

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Go master it in melee and you will never have a hard time performing it in PM again. Just make sure you are practicing on a CRT so you will get consistency when you practice, if you try to learn the SWD on a laggy tv you are gonna have a bad time
Ugh I actually think you may have solved my problem, unfortunately. I was learning to SWD on an HD TV and lately I've been playing on a CRT. Grrr rookie mistake. I was wondering if that made a difference, but I didn't want to make TV Johns, lol. Oh well, I'll work on the Melee SWD then, thanks.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Under ALL circumstances, you should play on a crt. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.

Practicing swd in melee does help, but isn't necessary. I input the command when I see samus hit the ground, which is obviously different from melee, and I'd like to say my consistency is around 75%+

DoctorFS

Smash Rookie
^You may know this, but the issue with lag on monitors and HDTVs isn't inherent to the display, it's because when they're taking video from a GC or Wii it's going to be in composite (or sometimes component) format, which they have to scale to their native resolution, which takes time relative to a CRT which just sprays electrons at the screen. This is why HDTVs are likely to be much more viable for Wii U games because there's native HDMI output which doesn't require the same conversion.

Top Bottom