• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swag walking applications?

Is swag walking useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena

• What is swag walking?
Swag walking is a technique that involves a character's turn a round animation, doing so repeatedly will result in slight movement left or right. Some characters move more distance than others one of the most notable Palutena since she moves about 3~4x the distance of your average character

It's input by slightly shifting in one direction as if to do a walk, then instantly turning in the other direction. If done correctly your character should have moved in the second direction very slightly.

• Palutena swag walk
As most Palutena players know, compared to other characters, Palutena has a significantly larger amount of movement with her walking turn around animation. This can be used to an advantage in a match so let's go over a few applications.

• Applications
There's truly an app for everything including Palutena's swag walk. One powerful use for this is ledge guarding on stage. When the opponent grabs the ledge start swag walking back and forth, as soon as you see them choose a ledge option you can punish with anything in Palutena's kit you see best fit including all of her tilts and most notably grabs and smashes. The momentum from the turn around should be fast enough to even turn around up smash ledge jump and grab normal get up and ledge roll. Now I know what you're thinking "if I want to grab I can just dash grab" and yes you can, however standing grab has significantly less ending lag than dash grab so if you miss you're left vulnerable for fewer frames. Standing grab also comes out faster than dash grab so there is a smaller chance to whiff. This can be the difference between shield and a megaman up tilt to the chin. This also allows you to space smashes at the ledge most notably up and forward smash. It's also a pretty nifty movement option when you want to space you jab (or tilts) but PP is more useful in most cases. It should also be noted when doing a full speed walk (yes walk that is a thing in this game) and you input the opposite direction your momentum keeps going in the direction you were walking in, you can use walk > bair as an option without haulting your momentum like dash > bair

I hope you find this thread helpful and I'll put some examples in.
https://youtu.be/aETNLXeDua4 0:59 >1:21 and 3:00 > END

Last edited:

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I've definitely used it in tournament matches before. Almost always as a sort of pseudo-foxtrot where I make my movement unpredictable without committing to any one option yet. I actually use swag walk into jab > grab the most often because of the way you can evade some approaches with it.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Could it really be that useful? I dunno, it only hurt my movement options more than it actually helped me. Foxtrots and dash dances are more helpful, but screwing those up results in Palutena swag walking, which kinda puts her in a disadvantage.

I personally think her swagwalking is rather overrated. I would go on to say that it hurts her more than it helps her for the reason I stated above. But, if there can be a real and practical use for this rather than a theoretical use for this, then I'm down to look into this more.

Apo11o

Smash Rookie
I see the usefulness of it, seeing that you can use all options while moving. Saying that, it seems to be more of a mind game option more so than anything. Maybe its application just needs to be developed to see the effectiveness of it.

ionustron

Smash Rookie
NNID
ionustron
Hi. I don't usually post here, already talked about why..

~However! Something of possible use about the swag walk that I don't think has been said;

One of the ghetto bidou setups that I find neat for her is c-stick to tilts and holding down attack. Say, dash into shield, hold down attack during the shield startup frames before grab is available or hold down attack after a short hop fair whatever. You don't get the 1 frame dash like with normal bidou c-stick but you can shift a hair either forward or backward and turn around. It's a little easier to see this effect when tapping c-stick while midair.

If you get the rhythm right (it's the same as her normal turn around animation,) you can slide around the entire stage at full walking speed (or any walking speed) by tapping the c-stick in the opposite direction. It's fun, but it can be easy to press the stick too soon and that will change your walk into an instant dash. I like to set a+b smash on while doing this for an easier pivot fsmash since with attack already held down, pressing b tends to force a smash instead of a tilt or dash attack, but that might be placebo.

Practice it!

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom