• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Surviving Sudden Death!

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
Surviving Sudden Death!

i thought this would be a nice new thread to add to our collection of strategy based threads.
the reason behind this is even though its only like a 1/999 chance to get in a sudden death in tournaments, ive seen it happen, and ive noticed through online playing that many people dont know how to handle sudden deaths, and ultimately get defeated after you worked so hard, by a single well placed blow.

sudden death is a whole different story compared to regular matches. in a regular match, you worry about stock and percentage, just making sure you end up the winner. but in a sudden death match, now you worry about getting hit, and using your attacks more carefully as to not be punished for a stupid miscalculation on your part, which almost always ends up killing you.

this thread is to encourage people to share how to come out the winner of a sudden death match, and not to let us fall to simple mistakes that can easily be avoided.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Long-range attacks. This means aerially you're screwed, as it's not about damage racking (bair) so much as KOing. Stay on the ground and try pivot grabs. Doesn't seem like Yoshi would be too great in this situation.
I'd have to try experimenting to see what moves do how much knockback at that percent (eg, if bair could lead into any attacks).

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
i actually found out that on FD in the center of the field, Yoshi's ftilt can kill in sudden death matches with one hit. this is good news since the ftilt is fast, long, and has good priority. however if my memory serves me right, Bowser and DDD are the only ones that cannot be KOed this way.

edit: the tournament i went to this summer allowed it only if the percentage of both characters were exactly the same when the time ended. and i happened near the end of the tournament. but i guess this is really just for freindlies or online matches, and less for tournament matches, i think it would still be good to know.

Grime

Smash Rookie
In my experiences, many will lunge at you the moment it starts, hoping to land a killing blow before you have a chance to react. Using Yoshi's downB right away has earned me several Sudden Death victories for this very reason. If it misses, the stars may buy you a second chance at life. If they retreat right away, bair can still be a good setup for a quick down smash if you can just make sure you're facing them when you use it.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
There is no Sudden Death in tournaments if it does to SD the person with the most stocks/least percentage wins.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Honestly...I just dash attack...kinda nooby but usually works. Then again I haven't done a sudden death in months, or at least not a serious one since our tournies don't allow them.

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Dash attack works pretty well, just make sure you use down-C instead of A, so you can do it more quickly.

Top Bottom