• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Survey the Battlefield: Robin Stage Tactics Ed. 1.10

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek submitted a new guide:

Survey the Battlefield: Robin Stage Tactics - Annotated overview of Robin's strengths and weaknesses on a variety of common legal stages.

Foreword

Hi there! I'm Raziek. Most of you Robin players probably know me already, as I moderate the boards here and post a lot of content/info all over the place. I have mained Robin since 3DS launch and consider myself a pretty strong and knowledgeable player, so I'm here to impart that knowledge to fellow mains of the characters.

Today's topic: Stages!

Knowing which stages are strong for Robin and which aren't is...
Read more about this guide...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
For those who are reading it already, I'm adding stuff 1 stage at a time and saving after each one I complete.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
In regards to lylat, although the tilting can hinder some of the thunder spells, it also enables some cute tricks as well. For example, if you're on one edge of the stage and your opponent is on the far opposite platform, you can hit them with thoron if the stage is tilting away from you (tested on Jigglypuff). In some cases, the exact opposite is also true but shorter characters or those with a low crouch/crawl may be able to duck it (I whiffed on Jigglypuff but hit a standing Captain Falcon).

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I wanted to mention that the up tilt does reach through the side platforms on Battlefield as well, although only the tip. I would run around other stages to check, but I can't do to lack of Wii U atm.

I feel it's a viable option to use, as it has a good vertical knockback where you can follow your opponent's downward percent. It doesn't knock them up to the mid platform, but it's still high enough to follow and play mindgames with.

Sloooooooooooow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bearissoslow
maybe i'm just playing robin wrong, but i feel as though castle siege is one of robin's best CPs. second form is GREAT for middle platforms + delicious blast zones that make KOing with bthrow much easier. i've had a lot of good luck with it and getting arcfire to ignite in air via the statues has its uses imo.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
maybe i'm just playing robin wrong, but i feel as though castle siege is one of robin's best CPs. second form is GREAT for middle platforms + delicious blast zones that make KOing with bthrow much easier. i've had a lot of good luck with it and getting arcfire to ignite in air via the statues has its uses imo.
I really can't agree.

It disrupts her general game-plan too much in most matchups. She struggles at dealing with close-range pressure, so fast characters who can run in on her just MAUL her on that transition due to it blocking projectiles. If they don't want to go on the offense, they can just easily run away from her.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Are you planning on covering any more stages? I've seen a lot of people who think Pokemon Stadium 2 is viable, and apparently Windy Hill Zone has been getting use in doubles.

mickymicky

Smash Rookie
I really can't agree.

It disrupts her general game-plan too much in most matchups. She struggles at dealing with close-range pressure, so fast characters who can run in on her just MAUL her on that transition due to it blocking projectiles. If they don't want to go on the offense, they can just easily run away from her.
So

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about Lylat being listed here as a 'great stage'. I'm not sure this is entirely so. While it does have many advantages for us as you say in the guide, the stage tilting can make it so Arcfire doesn't work (the ground becomes 'too low' to hit so the fire won't ignite unless it directly nails your enemy). I actually saw this come up as an issue in some recent match videos.

It might still be a good stage for us, but wouldn't this Arcfire problem send it much further down the 'good list' for Robin?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
While that is true, I still think the platform layout is extremely strong for Robin.

When the stage tilts such that Arcfire won't land exactly where it needs to, I just instead use Ledgetrump Bair.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
yeah I completely agree.

not relating, but @ Raziek Raziek where should I post tournament results

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek updated Survey the Battlefield: Robin Stage Tactics with a new update entry:

Updated to reflect changes in my opinions and newly added stages (Dreamland 64).

Changes:

Town & City: Moved from Decent to Great, additions made to write-up body.
Halberd: Moved from Decent to Great, additions made to write-up body.
Lylat: Moved from Great to Decent, additional notes pertaining to stage problems added.
Wuhu...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom