• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SuperSpeed lag canceling on landing

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
I haven't seen any one else talk about this so...Yeah. Normally when using SS on the ground and you don't cancel it you get quite a bit of lag. While messing around with it in training mode when doing Shorthop>SS> and canceling it with B or whatever you have your specials mapped prior to landing and you can instantly act out of it. It also has a pretty big slide. When canceling it in the air you have no lag and keep a small amount of SS's momentum, but when doing it before landing you get most of the momentum from it and no lag. You can use this slide as an offensive or defensive approach.
Here's an example of canceling the lag (Trash quality I know but it's better then nothing)
The first attempt is me getting it right. Second attempt is me purposely getting it wrong.
Examples of being defensive or offensive

SS lag cancel into jab and F-smash
SS lag cancel into U-Smash, Counter and U-tilt
SS lag cancel into Shield and Grab
I've implemented this pretty well into my matches. Depending on the situation you can approach offensively (Jab, U-tilt, F/U/D-Smash) or defensively (Shield or countering)
This is very similar to my previous thread "SuperSpeed sliding" but instead of it being a mix up to getting back up on stage you can use this as an approach option. You can also use this as a fake out when combined with warp though SS>Warp gets the job done better.
Like always there's certain moves that stop your momentum all together. Here's the list of moves that KEEP the momentum and that STOP the momentum
KEEP- Jab, U-smash (stops it slightly) Grab, U-tilt, Taunt, Celestial Fireworks
STOP- ALL neutral/Up specials, D/F-tilt, D/F-smash, Counter

You should try these out, its pretty useful even if its situational. Also maybe another momentum saving trick may arise. When performing this on a platform and time it so that your at the edge you can save a small bit of your momentum. Though you have to use it almost instantly after wards, haha. That's it from me, have a great day
NOTE; The timing of the cancel effects the slides distance.

Last edited:

Genoblob

Smash Rookie
NNID
Genoblob
3DS FC
2836-0094-7248
This has been known of for a while. There was a post while back calling it air canceled super speed. Regardless, it's a useful tech I've been using for a while now. Doing this to do a cross up F Smash can throw people off, as well as confirming F Smash with Jab. I haven't tried it much, but I believe an AC Uptilt is good for catching standard ledge get ups, as she slides and stops on the edge.

RavensArk

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3480-2573-0129
This has been known of for a while. There was a post while back calling it air canceled super speed. Regardless, it's a useful tech I've been using for a while now. Doing this to do a cross up F Smash can throw people off, as well as confirming F Smash with Jab. I haven't tried it much, but I believe an AC Uptilt is good for catching standard ledge get ups, as she slides and stops on the edge.
Ah alright.This threads purpose went down hill lol.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
You know, that sliding utilt looks pretty sick

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
The other thread didn't have videos explaining it as well as this :D

Sliding utilt looks amazing but I'm not sure about it in practice. I get the feeling you're better off landing the SS and comboing off that. It seems like this is most useful for the grab, as Pal's usual grab is fairly small and her dash grab doesn't cover much distance either.
The fsmash is also awesome, I can see some good punishes being made with that. I'm so glad customs are legal

Top Bottom