• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SuperGirlKels Signed By Team Detonate

Another Smash player has been signed! Team Detonate announced yesterday night that SuperGirlKels would be joining their Smash team. She is a tournament organizer for the Uproar Tournament series in Canada and recently joined the ranks of Villyness for women to take a top five placement at a major tournament having gotten 4th at Canada Cup. She expressed excitement at joining the team.

SuperGirlKels Taking On StylesX2

"Being picked up by Detonate is like finding home." she said. "It was just what I always look for in a team. I play Smash for what it is: a game. But it's something I take passion in and it's something I want to succeed in both results, and goal wise." Even being sponsored she doesn't plan to stop rising up through the ranks. "Being 16 years old walking into 2012's Apex, I remember looking up on stage and saying "I wanna be there one day". In 2015, I've finally accomplished being on stage. But the biggest step I'd like to take in Smash is becoming a top player."

She is expected to play under the Detonate banner for the first time at Smash Intensifies 2. To see her or her new team be sure to follow her on Twitter or check out her official announcement on Team Detonate's website. Excited to see her at future events? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future sponsorship coverage!

Last edited:

Comments

Sweet! I think I have seen content by her before on either twitch or youtube. Not a huge fan of sonic but Kels is admittedly p dang good(I expect the kirby to come out at some point tho cux kirby is husbando)
Great stuff to ya gal!

Oh my ****ing God you people made a mountain of a ****ing molehill. Glad you guys know how to turned one tasteless joke in this tread into such a big deal and be able to accuse the Smash community of having this "massive problem" that needs to be fixed even though it's not a problem at all. Holy ****.

Congrats on Kels, you'll do well and you're quite the nice individual. Screw this identity politics/political BS. It's a video game and you're tournament level good.

Last edited:
Congratulations Kels :) I don't like Sonic, but it's up to the player rather than to the character! Also got a pretty good taste on Kirby. Edit: It's blue Kirby!! Yooo

Last edited:
Edit: also wtf at the rant about zss/peach? Ive had discussions with other female smashers before about how we all roll our eyes at dudes complaining about zss "sexist" character design lmao. Also peach rules, have you never played super mario rpg? There is no right or wrong way to be a girl, and smash's character diversity shows that.
Just because you and supposedly other female smashers don't see the problem with ZSS' design, it doesn't mean every female smasher is okay with. Though at the same time, bringing the subject here in this thread was kinda random and uncalled for.

ikr? "As a man let me explain to women how there are no sexists in the gaming community, except for all the people who are sexist"

(this is why girls, non binary people, and trans dudes stick together and legitimately don't take this kind of advice seriously rofl... the more you know, guys)

Kels rules and the rest of us knew it. <3

Edit: also wtf at the rant about zss/peach? Ive had discussions with other female smashers before about how we all roll our eyes at dudes complaining about zss "sexist" character design lmao. Also peach rules, have you never played super mario rpg? There is no right or wrong way to be a girl, and smash's character diversity shows that.
Pidge you make me want to comment on things and this is bad. Who gives a **** if peach likes rainbows and stuff? Like, is Ganon sexist because he is a guy and he is mad and likes to punch things? I think that's a stereotype in some way.

Just because you and supposedly other female smashers don't see the problem with ZSS' design, it doesn't mean every female smasher is okay with. Though at the same time, bringing the subject here in this thread was kinda random and uncalled for.
This is why there needs to be an actual thread for this.
Oh my ****ing God you people made a mountain of a ****ing molehill. Glad you guys know how to turned one tasteless joke in this tread into such a big deal and be able to accuse the Smash community of having this "massive problem" that needs to be fixed even though it's not a problem at all. Holy ****.

Congrats on Kels, you'll do well and you're quite the nice individual. Screw this identity politics/political BS. It's a video game and you're tournament level good.
Idk about your region but it kinda is a massive problem in mine. And sorry sweetie but ignoring issues is how things get really bad. "Politics" are a huge deal. If you don't like it, keep hiding in your box boyo. It's cool.

Last edited:
Sure. But that guy does not experience misogyny and is trying to talk over women who do by totally missing the mark on what is and isn't sexism in a video game. That's why those of us who think her design is fine like to roll our eyes at dudes who have designated themselves our official spokespeople.

Easy solution to this problem: Don't bring it up in the first place. Kels worked her ass off and gets a sponsor and the first thing you have to say about it is whether or not you'd date her. Nobody cares if you were joking, we're all rolling our eyes.

Last edited:
???? I meant to say go her for overcoming the challenges of sexism and being so good, to the point where top groups have no choice but to accept her. I know there are people that aren't sexist etc that play smash, but there's still inherent sexism even if we don't realize it ourselves. Being female shouldn't have to be a big obstacle for achievements and goals, due to sexism. And when someone overcomes that BS obstacle I will celebrate that person as they are an inspiration to all people of their gender. Seriously Kelly, go you!
Male characters are so sexist in smash, Pit is such a dumb character, Is sakurai saying that all young boys are complete idiots? And now we have a male character that doesn't wear clothes? This is objectifying men and it's sexist.

-Said no one ever

Male characters are so sexist in smash, Pit is such a dumb character, Is sakurai saying that all young boys are complete idiots? And now we have a male character that doesn't wear clothes? This is objectifying men and it's sexist.

-Said no one ever
There's already a debate for this in the debate hall, also I like how you're already complying with the rules of it it via Diet Sexism, aka feeling no shame and full of ignorance while you say something completely sexist while also somehow managing to be as offensive as out right saying that women should be in the kitchen.

There's already a debate for this in the debate hall, also I like how you're already complying with the rules of it it via Diet Sexism, aka feeling no shame and full of ignorance while you say something completely sexist while also somehow managing to be as offensive as out right saying that women should be in the kitchen.
I didn't say anything sexist about women, I was restating what you said about female characters in smash and applying it to male characters in smash.

Last edited:
I love playing ZSS but I just wish there was a way to make her not look so objectifying, like seriously unless those things have their own hit box they should NOT be so prominent in the game. And look at half of her outfits which I'm pretty sure would qualify her for a job at... ok how do I put this?....A job at a certain kind of super objectifying "restaurant"
If you're referring to those two particular alts of ZSS, quiet a number of women working out wear similar clothes to those (like some of these women) which is something those ZSS alts are more like, so I don't really get the comparison to jobs at a "certain kind of super objectifying "restaurant""

I didn't say anything sexist about women, I was restating what you said about female characters in smash and applying it to male characters in smash.
You do realize what you said is like someone saying it would be easier for my kid to get into college if my kid was a minority, where the minority kid had done years of legal studies during high school, while the white kid didn't even finish highschool. See, because the white kid didn't get into college, he's facing an equally hard challenge as the MINORITY KID WHO FACES RACISM.

You do realize what you said is like someone saying it would be easier for my kid to get into college if my kid was a minority, where the minority kid had done years of legal studies during high school, while the white kid didn't even finish highschool. See, because the white kid didn't get into college, he's facing an equally hard challenge as the MINORITY KID WHO FACES RACISM.
Here we go again with the whole "Privileged" vs "Minority" debate...
But seriously, is your point that women are more "Oppressed"? Also, how the h3ll do you get into law school without finishing high school? Also, if it's possible to get into that college without finishing high school, and they are racist. Then that college probably isn't worth going to. I like how you capitalize the end with buzz words like "Minority" and Racism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom