• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash "Maker" (Next Gen, Reimagined)

ElCapitano

Smash Rookie
I think the next generation of Smash could benefit from building on its community by developing a SSB + Mario Maker hybrid. I think this would work very well, especially if it retained a core play mode as well as a "classic play" (with co-op mode against bosses).

In terms of a SSB+MM hybrid, this can extend beyond a stage builder. For example, core items for characters can be mixed as well (ie., Link's master shield/sword could be placed on Mario, Mario can ride Yoshi, etc.). Also, downloading new utilities (movesets) for your character could work, too, like downloading Cappy for Mario. At first glance, this would appear to effect the competitive scene, but I think we the new additions like Hero, who have down+b hub of attacks, this could extend into a "setup" phase before the match begins (so when you select your name, your controller settings and character settings are selected, too?).

Enhancing the custom, downloadable play of the entire platform itself like Mario Maker, not just certain aspects, could be lots of fun for the competitive battlers and create a new wave of competitive builders.

BALANCE W/ POWER LEVELS
Last thing to consider is how characters are balanced. Instead of trying to balance All characters to a relatively equal playing level, what if characters were balanced with a Tier in mind (S, A, B, etc.), based on their respective power levels from their own games/lore. For example, Kirby is supposedly top tier in the Nintendo universe (if you will), an S tier in his own universe, but he is typically not S/A tier in smash. The idea would be to create 1-5 power levels where characters would fall under (Kirby would be 1, Little Mac level 5), and tiers can be made by fans within the levels like usual. This would put the right characters at a true advantage based on lore rather than happenstance of physics / mechanics. So when you play as Kirby against Little Mac, you are being the "actual" Kirby against Little Mac rather than a look-a-like Kirby and Little Mac (if that makes sense).

Now I'm not confident about how well all this would work, but with a lot of characters there would be a "natural" balance by the players/community.

Thoughts overall?

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I think the next generation of Smash could benefit from building on its community by developing a SSB + Mario Maker hybrid. I think this would work very well, especially if it retained a core play mode as well as a "classic play" (with co-op mode against bosses).

In terms of a SSB+MM hybrid, this can extend beyond a stage builder. For example, core items for characters can be mixed as well (ie., Link's master shield/sword could be placed on Mario, Mario can ride Yoshi, etc.). Also, downloading new utilities (movesets) for your character could work, too, like downloading Cappy for Mario. At first glance, this would appear to effect the competitive scene, but I think we the new additions like Hero, who have down+b hub of attacks, this could extend into a "setup" phase before the match begins (so when you select your name, your controller settings and character settings are selected, too?).

Enhancing the custom, downloadable play of the entire platform itself like Mario Maker, not just certain aspects, could be lots of fun for the competitive battlers and create a new wave of competitive builders.

BALANCE W/ POWER LEVELS
Last thing to consider is how characters are balanced. Instead of trying to balance All characters to a relatively equal playing level, what if characters were balanced with a Tier in mind (S, A, B, etc.), based on their respective power levels from their own games/lore. For example, Kirby is supposedly top tier in the Nintendo universe (if you will), an S tier in his own universe, but he is typically not S/A tier in smash. The idea would be to create 1-5 power levels where characters would fall under (Kirby would be 1, Little Mac level 5), and tiers can be made by fans within the levels like usual. This would put the right characters at a true advantage based on lore rather than happenstance of physics / mechanics. So when you play as Kirby against Little Mac, you are being the "actual" Kirby against Little Mac rather than a look-a-like Kirby and Little Mac (if that makes sense).

Now I'm not confident about how well all this would work, but with a lot of characters there would be a "natural" balance by the players/community.

Thoughts overall?
So that means that you can only play like 3 characters to even have a chance at winning. That doesn’t sound very fun, even in casual matches. Characters like Mac who already need a buff will just be even worse. Like... unplayable worse.

ElCapitano

Smash Rookie
So that means that you can only play like 3 characters to even have a chance at winning. That doesn’t sound very fun, even in casual matches. Characters like Mac who already need a buff will just be even worse. Like... unplayable worse.
Right, I suppose I was looking at this as non-casual. The idea is that f you have 100 characters, 20 characters balanced to their levels, so a range of 1-5 (Little Mac might stand a fighting chance at his level, and higher levels would provide handicaps for newbs). Sort of like how Pokemon as UU, OU, UU, RU, NU, etc. People still play with the NU (Never-Used) bracket. But it does limit the potential of surprise, i.e. someone whose really good with a bizarre guy like, say, Little Mac, from climbing to the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom